Mods for Mileage?

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what kind of fuel mileage i can get out of a superduty. I got the basic 6637, 5 inch exhaust, and a bdp chip but all i can pull right now is 16 driving easy. Would stage 1s bring up my mileage any? I just want to find a setup that will bring me decent mileage and add a little more power. Truck is an auto also. Is 18-20mpg too much to expect from this truck?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Stage 1 single shots brought my mileage up a mile or two per gallon. They improved the fuel economy, and gained some power over stock for me. Some of these 7.3s are just stubborn engines that don't like to do much better than 16mpg, based on what I've seen. IMO with good custom tunes, a mild injector, intake, and exhaust you should be very capable of hitting something above 16mpg.

Heres a few things to answer.
-What do you have for gears
-Is it highway driving when your hitting 16mpg
-What pressure are you running in your tires
-How many miles are on it?

NevrKnow

Reaction score
Wow that sux. I'm hitting 22 on the hiway with what I have. I would have to agree with the above. Win some lose some.

tgf

Reaction score
I gained almost 3 mpg with swamps sticks empty, 1 mpg grossing 36k with better street manners. Had 190,xxx before the swap, 202,xxx now. Wish I would have done it sooner.

steele86

Reaction score
some stroker get better mpg then other my buddys truck get 13
on the hwy empty he has a ww, afe intake, ts chip my truck get 22 to 24 empty when im pulling my 16,000lb 40 foot trailer i get 15 all i have done ats housing,afe diy intake,4" exhaust beans ts chip truqloc. i think if you put on air fuel and water separators it helps alot in mpg from i have been told

TARM

Reaction score
How much mpg you get from injector change has much more to do with the current condition of your injectors then what the new ones are. How well your injectors are has everything to do with mileage, oil change frequency, fuel filter brand and change frequency.

The things that will have a significant effect many times are ones that effect looks and therefore people are less quick to make them. Narrower tires pumped up to max pressure, light wheels, smaller side mirrors, lowering trucks stance especially the front, Bed cover, anything that can drop weight. If you do mainly hwy driving going to 3.55 gears.

For hwy a looser turbine housing or even larger over all turbo as the lower boost @ cruise the lower the drive pressure the less engine drag. Take a look at some of the mpg of trucks running large turbos and even large injectors. They are as good as a number of full stock trucks.

Learning how to drive for maximum mpg. Its very different than the way most drive. Timing your stops using the brake as little as possible. Coasting as much as possible. Timing and building speed when coming to hills. Taking off as slow as possible when from a stop will have a huge effect with city driving.

Do not let your truck sit and idle. The second its started and the idle has stabilized drive it. Do so super easy but drive it. The faster it warms up the better. A truck idling will take forever to get to anything close to full operating temp. All that time burning fuel and not doing a bit of productive work nor helping the engine in anyway either.

tgf

Reaction score
How much mpg you get from injector change has much more to do with the current condition of your injectors then what the new ones are. How well your injectors are has everything to do with mileage, oil change frequency, fuel filter brand and change frequency.

Absolutely. When we pulled my stock sticks found out a few o-rings were shot, power felt less than dads old stock 97. It'd pull a loaded 24' stock trailer, but it couldn't pass its self running up hill.

Tire tread design helps too.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Slow down. The effort needed to keep these barn doors moving in a 75mph wind is much more than at 65. I'm currently getting 23 in a 301k worn out 96 with 4.10's

TARM

Reaction score
75 to 55 is worth about 1.5-2 mpg in many 7.3s. Consider that if that simple thing took you from 16 to 18 mpg with diesel fuel @ say $4.00 people have been seeing lately in a number of places that would be worth close to .50 or the same as fuel dropping to around 3.50 per gallon. Then how big you tank is multiplied by it is how much you would save on a tank. Figure 30 gal tank it would be worth $15 savings. That is a huge savings in my book just to slow down a bit. You then add in all the other fuel savings procedures you can do and then work out what it saves you. When prices per gal were much lower many things may have not had enough value to make it worth it to some people. But now with fuel prices were they are they are well worth it.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
going 75 I would get 16.4 to 17. MPG with a OBS with 4:10.. Going 65 to 70 i would get 18 to 8.4. At 55 21 to 22 is about what i could get.

But that is were it would stop, if i went slower it made no difference. SO I went to a ZF6 transmission and 3:55 Gears. Have not run it since i did it though. So I have no clue what it will do now.

To the OP single shot should help you. you could go from a new split to a new single. and the single should get better fuel mileage. JUST because it is a more efficient injector..

David

KPSquared

Reaction score
I get about 21 - 22 Canadian MPG (17 - 18 US MPG) on the highway crusing at 110km/h (68 mph)

It does a little better if I slow down a bit. That's with Cass Stage 1 singles, DP 80 econo, 6637, 3.5/4" Magnaflow.

I'm pretty happy with that and could probably do even better if I could keep my foot out of the throttle...

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
22mpg doing 65 on the highway. :D Low back pressure on the turbo, single shot injectors, good oil pressure and quality, driving style, weight, tire size, and good tuning.

bazdog1

Reaction score
All you guys that are getting great mpg's, have you verified your odo's with a gps? I think that some guys are running other than stock tire sizes and not accounting for it in their calculations.

I had a van turbo and got crappy mileage compared to the stock turbo because i live at altitude and for the same speed, it took more pedal to keep it there. truck was faster on the top end though.

single shot sticks did nothing for my mileage.

I do not drive for mileage, I just calculate at every fillup. I get about 12 mpg's with 35" tires and driving mostly city. sometimes its in the 11's for mpg's.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I run 35's. Mileage calculates out to be less if you go by the odometer. Not worse. Mine actually calculates out to be (for example) 300 x 1.015 = 304.5 / 13.9 = 21.9

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Amputate about half of right foot.

What Tarm said is the best advice yet.

These trucks get their best mileage below 2K RPM's. 1600 is the magic number on my truck, but with 4:10's that is about 45MPH. I can get on the freeway and drive at 65MPH 2050 RPM's for a long drive and get 23 miles per gallon. That's from my house to Lubbuck, drive around to all of our stores there and back home on a tank of fuel. Over 800 miles round trip.

If I drive 70, my mileage drops to about 18, anything over that and it just sucks. Acceleration from a stop will kill mileage also. 3 or 4 1/4 mile runs will suck my tank down a lot.

Just my normal day to day driving in the DFW metroplex, I will average 17 MPG over several tanks. You have to remember though at least once a week, I will get stuck in a traffic jam and take an hour and a half to go 5 or 6 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.