Monitor vs Gauges

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Doing a few things to my new to me tow rig. Its a 01 350 with a new 38r. If I could Id like to run a monitor instead of gauges to keep the interior clean looking. Truck has an edge evo w/ attitude now. Was looking into upgrading to a nice monitor. Something with a larger color screen and would allow me to run a TS 6 position. I guess my main concern is the readings being accurate on the monitor. Are there monitors available where you actually run your own probes and what not or do they pull off the obd2 port? Also want to know what kind of monitors others are running on their 7.3 SD's

Cota

Reaction score
I just installed an edge insite, shows eight PID 's through the OBD port. You can add other sensors to monitor, EGT's, Fuel PSI, or what ever.
I like it a lot, however the cost for adding the other sensors other than EGT is pretty spendy becouse you have to buy an extra cable that is outrageously priced and not included with the sensors.
I got the EGT sensor becouse I like the alarm feature.
I also still have analog gauges for boost, the insight only sees what the map see's and I have a boost fooler,
fuel pressure, I want to see what its doing as soon as I hit the key and the insight takes a few seconds to boot up,
and ICP again I want to see what it's doing as soon as I hit the key.
I had piller guages but between those and the rain guard on the window it created a major blind spot. the gauges I still have are down on a cubby pod mount.
Hope that helps.

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
I just installed an edge insite, shows eight PID 's through the OBD port. You can add other sensors to monitor, EGT's, Fuel PSI, or what ever.
I like it a lot, however the cost for adding the other sensors other than EGT is pretty spendy becouse you have to buy an extra cable that is outrageously priced and not included with the sensors.
I got the EGT sensor becouse I like the alarm feature.
I also still have analog gauges for boost, the insight only sees what the map see's and I have a boost fooler,
fuel pressure, I want to see what its doing as soon as I hit the key and the insight takes a few seconds to boot up,
and ICP again I want to see what it's doing as soon as I hit the key.
I had piller guages but between those and the rain guard on the window it created a major blind spot. the gauges I still have are down on a cubby pod mount.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Cota! Is the insight the cts??? Also is there a way to read boost other than through the map with it other than analog?

sent while doing burnouts somewhere in the country

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I personally like gauges myself. A nice set of isspros (not cheap looking AutoMeter junk) really look nice in the cab. Plus with a monitor what happens if it goes down? What can you monitor then? NOTHING!!

With analog gauges, if you lose your EGT gauge guess what? You still have boost, FP, trans temp, etc..

SeeYa

Reaction score
Doing a few things to my new to me tow rig. Its a 01 350 with a new 38r. If I could Id like to run a monitor instead of gauges to keep the interior clean looking. Truck has an edge evo w/ attitude now. Was looking into upgrading to a nice monitor. Something with a larger color screen and would allow me to run a TS 6 position. I guess my main concern is the readings being accurate on the monitor. Are there monitors available where you actually run your own probes and what not or do they pull off the obd2 port? Also want to know what kind of monitors others are running on their 7.3 SD's

Looks like we have what you are looking for in a monitoring system and still be able to use your chip style. We will also have a special cable within the next few weeks that will allow you to control the switching of tunes on the chip. So basically you will have touch on the fly switching for the Ts chip and seamless switching like our own chips have.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/featured-products-1/infinity-dx-touchscreen-7-3l.html

Videos on how the Infinity works

http://www.dp-tuner.com/dp-tuner-tv/infinity.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Diane

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Looks like we have what you are looking for in a monitoring system and still be able to use your chip style. We will also have a special cable within the next few weeks that will allow you to control the switching of tunes on the chip. So basically you will have touch on the fly switching for the Ts chip and seamless switching like our own chips have.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/featured-products-1/infinity-dx-touchscreen-7-3l.html

Videos on how the Infinity works

http://www.dp-tuner.com/dp-tuner-tv/infinity.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Diane

I like the looks of that! I really like the option of shift on the fly through the monitor of a ts chip! When will that add on be available? Also I heard the guy in the video talking about getting readings from the obd 2 and the "quarter horse"? What is that?

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
One of my biggest concerns about all the monitors is actually getting accurate readings if they're just pulling info off factory sensors. Is there anyone who can elaborate on this for me. I like the clean look of a monitor but if it won't give gauge quality readings then I'll just do gauges

SeeYa

Reaction score
One of my biggest concerns about all the monitors is actually getting accurate readings if they're just pulling info off factory sensors. Is there anyone who can elaborate on this for me. I like the clean look of a monitor but if it won't give gauge quality readings then I'll just do gauges

All great questions. We have compared our Infinity readings to Autometer and the Ford IDS. They are accurate to those two products.

The junction box we are calling the Infinity-CEI hub. Below I have listed what you will be able to use it for.

Chip switching for the following:
F5, F6, F8
TS chips
SCT chips
DSP5 for Duramax & cummins

In addition to Chip switching capabilities the following will be included:

Dual EGT inputs
8- 0 to 5v analog inputs (2- 0 to 5v analog inputs are already available with the Infinity.

Cota

Reaction score
Yes mine is the Edge CTS and yes you could add a sensor to monitor boost other that at the MAP, I just think what they want for the cable that is not included with the sensors is way over priced.
My monitor seems to match what I'm seeing with the gauges.
If I lose the monitor who cares it's not like the truck wont run and get me home and I have the guages needed to help trouble shoot any running problem that may come up.

Denver

Reaction score
I would run gauges. When you pull data from the computer you see what the computer sees. With gauges you see what the gauge sees. Or you could get both.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
in my 6.0 even with 190s and power max the boost gague on the dash and the boost gague i had installed were nearly right in line with one another, my gauge i installed was reading boost at the intake elbow, and the factory gague i dont know where it was reading it from but both gagues would stay with in 1-3 psi of each other depending on the day and the weather.

i say go the edge cts or dash daq. i hated my gauges mainly for the fact all the ricer and punk kid drivers wanted to race me, and most the time i was tired and it was at night and i just wanted to go home and i wasnt in the mood to the jacked with.

Latest posts

Members online