Monotherm pistons

blackbetty13

Reaction score
Call Swamps and find out what these will go for...

bdcd5140.jpg

I'm sorry but the bowl isn't dead center! Does it matter ?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the bowl isn't dead center! Does it matter ?

Anyone with the ability to design and make one with the bowl off center surely had a well researched reason, which I'm fairly confident has to do with where the fuel hits the bowl area. If you are worried about "balance", consider how many pistons have relief cuts for valve protrusion on one side.

JDub

Reaction score
The forged set Mahle made for us turned out perfect. They make a hell of a product, just don't see the demand there for 7.3L Monotherms though.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Lets just say I wanted them to make me one set. How much would I be looking at spending. And would they even do it.

Im still having a hard time comprehending why its so hard to make these if they have all the dimensions and what not.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Lets just say I wanted them to make me one set. How much would I be looking at spending. And would they even do it.

Im still having a hard time comprehending why its so hard to make these if they have all the dimensions and what not.

Making them is not hard. Making them so you can afford them is. They have various different piston designs and run pistons in batches - they have a minimum batch size that they will not do less than for anyone - its not worth their time to tool up and make 8 pistons unless you want to fork over 6 figures for those 8 pistons - no one would do that.

If you guys are truly interested in a custom built piston for whatever your purpose - there are plenty of companies that will do that for you in very small batch orders - even quantities that are small enough to do just one engine, and they will do it cost effectively - but perhaps they won't have the exact same material properties of a monotherm. Machined billet - cheaper than forged in small quantities.

02BigD

Reaction score
Does it? Are you sure? Because we really want you to be perfectly at ease with the design from one of the foremost innovators and experts on 7.3 Powerstroke parts, and you really seemed to seriously question their design.

LOL !!!

juniort444e

Reaction score
Making them is not hard. Making them so you can afford them is. They have various different piston designs and run pistons in batches - they have a minimum batch size that they will not do less than for anyone - its not worth their time to tool up and make 8 pistons unless you want to fork over 6 figures for those 8 pistons - no one would do that.

If you guys are truly interested in a custom built piston for whatever your purpose - there are plenty of companies that will do that for you in very small batch orders - even quantities that are small enough to do just one engine, and they will do it cost effectively - but perhaps they won't have the exact same material properties of a monotherm. Machined billet - cheaper than forged in small quantities.

Could you send me a few of those companies names. I would love to have a piston that has the characteristics of the monotherms, expand and heat up same as block, more durable and so on. Even if it costs a little more than the Mahles we can get now, i think it would be worth it in the end.

Charles

Reaction score
3 or 4 years ago I called everyone. Quite literally EVERYONE listed in the Mahle directory and begged each and every one of them to please for the love of God make me a set of monotherms. Never got anywhere...

If the one above is actually for a 7.3, then maybe some of my extreme cold-calling at least planted a seed.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Billet Steel pistons? How can they be lighter then aluminums?

Piston design. By designing a piston with weight only where it needs to be can come out to the same weight or lighter than an off the shelf production piston. The trick is to put material where it is needed and not where it is not needed. Compare the pictures earlier in this thread with each other and you'll see what I mean.

Latest posts

Members online