more fuel options

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
alright, yeah i've had a fuel pressure gauge for a while. I wonder if my pump is getting weak. It never used to drop that much

Arisley

Reaction score
You can get filter bases with two inlets and two outlets. Pre-pump filter, block off one inlet, use two outlets to each pump. Post-pump filter, block off one outlet, use to inlets from the pumps.

Big advantage to using to stock superduty pumps is reliability and availability of replacement pumps. The truck will run perfectly fine on a single pump. In other words, when you are 200 miles from home, and lose a pump, you continue on your way instead of sitting on the side of the road.

Performance is great, reliability is great. When you can put them both together in the same sentence, it's awesome.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can get filter bases with two inlets and two outlets. Pre-pump filter, block off one inlet, use two outlets to each pump. Post-pump filter, block off one outlet, use to inlets from the pumps.

Big advantage to using to stock superduty pumps is reliability and availability of replacement pumps. The truck will run perfectly fine on a single pump. In other words, when you are 200 miles from home, and lose a pump, you continue on your way instead of sitting on the side of the road.

Performance is great, reliability is great. When you can put them both together in the same sentence, it's awesome.

I need to get thinking about that. Ive got 5k miles on my walbro. Probably time to get a replacement with my luck.

Arisley

Reaction score
I lost a fuel pump a week or so ago. Got a used one on the way for 1 half a Benjamin. Still running fine, just can't stick my foot really hard into it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Aren't the walbros not even rated for diesel?

It doesnt say on mine. I read all the paperwork and there was no yay or nay.

Edit:ive heard that for years as suggested by members on this forum but im just saying mine did NOT say I couldnt use it for diesel.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
It may have listed fuel type and simply did not list diesel. I have not used one in it seems like forever as I found the 044 to be all around a better pump for a reasonable cost.

The issue with the Walbro is they are so hit and miss. Some have them for a few years but many many seem to be changing them out in months or 2 yr and under. No way a pump should only last that long especially when in the jap cars using gasoline they have no where near the same issues using the same pump.

golfer

Reaction score
lol, it sits at 62 PSI ALL DAY LONG unless i lay into it which is hardly and itll drop to about 50. So yes it is possible to run without a "full" system prior to injectors. Mandkole, you think i can upgrade the size of the lines pulling from the tank and draw straw and stock with a single pump without a sump?

fuel systems are only neeeeeded if you're droppppping pressure...and obviously the tune and your right foot have the final word...

but yeah..dropping can potentially hurt the injectors (plunger/barrels)...so watch what tune you're in until you get it sorted.

as far as 2 stock pumps...yes, will work.

but you'll absolutely need to upgrade the pickup/suction side line diameter...

pumps like to push...they hate to suck.

2 stock pumps drawing through the factory 1/4" lines is not a solution...pressure side should be ok for a while...but I'd check psi after the install.

TARM

Reaction score
Whatever you choose in terms of pumps regulator filters IMO you must take care of all the hoses etc from pickup thru to the regulator. Its really not that bad in time or cost and it could save you from being on the side of the road with a dead pump from having to pull fuel under a high vacuum not to mention the cost of another pump.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Precisely Tarm! I was planning to use the factory supply as a return but once I dug in I decided it would be well conceived to just replace everything and route it nice and smooth. That pushloc is amazing stuff.

The only thing I might change is adding a sump instead of the 5/8 straw.

TARM

Reaction score
That is what I did as well the very first fuel system I did and made the same decision on the return line.

The only benefit I see for the sump connection is with low tank level. 1/4 tank 1/8 tank issues some seem to get. But beyond that there flow rate is identical between a sump and pickup of the same diameter. But consider that if a sump breaks you are dumping a ton of fuel with no way to stop it all over the road and the hoses are now hanging down much lower. Not that there are not benefits to a sump (there are) but its not flow rate or vacuum pressure etc.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Im doing an install now. Have y'all had any thought with using the supply line being the larger of the 2 and the introduction of air in the supply pickup? The factory pickup points directly at the bottom of the tank while the return kicks out at a 90 away from the 5/8 pickup. I was planing on using the factory return as my return due to its flow away from my pickup.

TARM

Reaction score
When you change the PU tube with the 5/8 you just give it a slight bend it to be away from that. I actually used oring compression to male JIC fittings so they fit the actual stem from the stock PU You only have to sand down or cut off the tip where the flare is. Makes for a very clean install.

Its not as bad when you consider what that environment looks like when a truck is in motion. That fluid is getting sloshed and thrown all over the place in that tank. Same with the currents at idle from the fuild pumping in and out of the tank.

You can pull off the end of the original PU and install a 90 if you want to ensure it if you are concerned. Or of course you could run a completely separate return even with a 90 at the end if you so chose much like the 5/8 PU tube and fitting.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Can you just tell me that my use of the factory return won't effect the system performance? I just got that dang thing back together and bolted back up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes. Other than the filtration increase, pressure is pressure. You dont get volume increases without larger lines but if you dont "need" them, you dont need them.

If you drive on the street and rarely pjn the pedal, you only need to worry about pressure where you run it.

TARM

Reaction score
Can you just tell me that my use of the factory return won't effect the system performance? I just got that dang thing back together and bolted back up.

Yes it will be fine no reason to pull it apart. It was only if you were going to pull it or had it down and out. You are GTG

pilot4life

Reaction score
Yea just finished putting in Irates full fuel system pump/lines/filters and reg return. Those push locks are a beast to get on. Thanks for the info y'all.