Motor went haywire, redlined, then shut off??

jpfanner

Reaction score
Ok everybody. What would happen if gas got in diesel. My truck just went haywire 5 miles from the fuel station. It was like the accelerator stuck wide open, then the exhaust turned whitish grayish, then the I turned the key off and it wouldn't shut down! I was approaching 80 so I thru it in nuetral bc I was on a county road. It wrapped out at 5000+rpm then finally shut off. There's oil and fuel all down the passenger side and its definitely FUBAR. This truck has been perfectly fine until this. I'm having it towed to a shop here in Findlay OH and having them test the fuel first thing. If it's not fuel what could've happened?!

I've been deleted (DPF/EGR) since I've owned (bought with 137,000 has 139,600 now) I changed the oil when I got it and only put about 2500 miles on it. I usually check the oil every time I drive it as it's not my daily driver but I probably haven't checked it the last 400-500 miles because things have been perfectly fine... I'm completely stumped. But I do know the motor is trashed. Anyone have suggestions on what to do there? REMAN companies??

Spartan tuned, RCD EGR Delete, AFE Intake, 4in DP to 5in, PMF trac bars,

jpfanner

Reaction score
No, I put in 14qts, let it run and circulate oil, it was towards the bottom of the checked area on the dipstick, so I added another quart and it's been right at the top of the dipstick...like I said it's ran perfect since I changed the oil about 2500 miles ago...

BBottoms

Reaction score
If your crankcase was over full (leaking HPFP?) it could start sucking oil/fuel through the CCV and cause a runaway condition. Did u check the oil level after it happened?

jpfanner

Reaction score
No I didn't check the oil. Supposedly the HPFP was just replaced when I bought it due to a PO88 code. I'll have the guys at the shop check the oil.

BBottoms

Reaction score
Might have am injector that hung open and caused the runaway.

Would one injector cause a runaway and peg the RPM? I figured it would just run funny and maybe melt a piston. If one injector will cause this that's a little scary.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Sounds like a run away condition, could be several ways it can happen. Could be fuel in oil, HPFP issue, hung injector, oil leaking into the combustion chamber. Either way thats what it sounds like happened, run away. Just a matter of finding out what caused it and what damage its done.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Would one injector cause a runaway and peg the RPM? I figured it would just run funny and maybe melt a piston. If one injector will cause this that's a little scary.

On the 6.4 if one injector is bad the others will compensate for it to pick up where its not performing. In many cases its not noticeable until it gets really bad. If his oil was fresh and his HPFP was recently replaced, I'd say either the HPFP leaked fuel into the crankcase ( which wouldn't take long if it leaked bad enough ) or oil seeped through the valve seals and ignited.

jpfanner

Reaction score
Hillbilly

Honestly, after it happened I was so wired up I didn't know what to do and I sat there on the side of the road for about an hour waiting on the tow truck and I thought to myself, "what do I have to lose if I try to start it?? I mean the motor just turned over 5000rpms for about 3-5 seconds..." So I cranked it over, it fired right up, and the only thing it had was a bad knock on the TOP END. There are no visible holes I can see anywhere in the block and the only oil is on the underneath side of the hood where it blew out of the air intake and then out the side vent on the truck and of course all down the side of the truck. It ran for about 10 seconds with no problems and I just shut it down. Granted I know 10 seconds isn't long but it didn't run-a-way again and there wasn't any bottom end knock. I'm sure once we tear into it we'll find stretched rods or at the very least some sort of crank/bearing damage. I'm just hoping the block is still good and maybe we can recondition the crank, do a little head work, some rods and pistons, (maybe a set of Tow-Powers) and away we go... It's down east of Columbus right now, hoping to get the cab pulled by the end of the week and start surveying the carnage.

jpfanner

Reaction score
Yeah, with what I'm expecting this to cost I'm half tempted to build an 600hp 24v 5.9 and never look at a 6.4 again....

jpfanner

Reaction score
Oh and I'll add that there is oil in the checkered section on the dipstick. It didn't run away for maybe 15 seconds?? It all happened so fast and violently I can't be sure. I guess I just wanted to say it wasn't started completely emptied of oil. As of right now I think the very least it has a broken rocker arm and some top end issues..broken piston? I don't know. Very frustrating...I just bought the truck out of Baton Rouge, LA and I haven't put but about 2500-3000 miles on it. It's like the dealer knew it was about to blow...almost makes me wonder if they knew it had a turbo seal issue and just tried to slap a new seal in, or maybe the HPFP was installed with old gaskets and it was leaking fuel off into the crankcase...I dunno, but I do know that it hadn't "added" oil since I owned. Granted I hadn't checked the oil in the last 500 miles but if that's what happend it happened very fast.

Latest posts

Members online