mpg

kotyr250

Reaction score
driving to diesel mechanic school for me is alot all around its 144 miles a day. i know alot of things to do to improve the mpg but i wanna know somethings yall have done that has helped

ghohouston

Reaction score
Do some math. Ill bet honestly you can get a small apartment real close to school for what youre spending a month on diesel. I used to spend $600 a month on diesel driving 60 miles round trip to and from work 6 days a week. Plus it will keep miles off your truck

kotyr250

Reaction score
yeah i thuaght about it i only drive 3 days a week every other week though car pool with my freind and i work as a tree climber work in the area so cant move.

kotyr250

Reaction score
im only spending 150 a week so i think its better to just improve the gas milege

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
If you have a lift, take it off, if you have mud terrain tires, take them off, add tonneau cover, keep RPM's under 2k, and EGT's 600 and under, make sure there's no brake drag, alignment, fresh fluids in motor, trans, and diffs, clean air filter and fuel filter.

I still have my 2" leveling kit and 35" Toyo M/T's, but doing the above and adding Fuel Bomb additive every tankbhas yielded 15-17 mpg the last few tanks. Once I wear the tires out, I will be taking the leveling kit off, putting in a 250 block and getting some Toyo A/T's....should put me in the 17-20 range if I'm lucky!

Emery19

Reaction score
add tonneau cover,

i never noticed any noticeable improvement with my tonneau cover. on either of my trucks. i actually pulled the one off the ranger in favor of a tool box for work and i noticed no difference. and for the price i paid for that cover it definitely didnt pay for itself.

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
Are you serious about having a rabbit to sell? If he doesn't take you up on it shoot me a message I am looking for a cool sleeper to put a 1000 hp in and tear up some stuff!

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
i never noticed any noticeable improvement with my tonneau cover. on either of my trucks. i actually pulled the one off the ranger in favor of a tool box for work and i noticed no difference. and for the price i paid for that cover it definitely didnt pay for itself.

It made maybe .5-1mpg difference on mine changing nothing but adding the cover, I paid $100 for mine off EBay. Plus its nice to keep the elements off of the golf clubs, tool boxes, and any other random crap that I decide to put in the bed!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Don't drive a 7-8k for fuel mileage. I have a diesel rabbit I'd sell you

Whether I agree with you or not isnt the issue. Several people ask questions in this vein. Somebody always has to say that. Its bs advice. Im sure he realizes inadequacy or he wouldnt have started the thread. No hard feelings, nothing personal but Id like to remove that auto response from all these effin threads!

In something.with.stock-33" tires and 3.73 gears if the driver stays under 2k rpms 20is attainable if you accelerate gently. Yes, even in a 7+ k pound truck.

Running wheels 12" in width(which I do :D ) isnt the way to do it. Narrow wheels and tires win this battle.

Fancy air filters and tuning is NOT the answer. Use the least amount of fuel possible and you'll get the best mileage.

The effects might be greater in a different vehicle.

kotyr250

Reaction score
thanks im gonna have to pass on the rabbit i just dropped all my money into college so wouldnt be able to buy it for a while but thanks for all the advice and will keep it in mind

Emery19

Reaction score
It made maybe .5-1mpg difference on mine changing nothing but adding the cover, I paid $100 for mine off EBay. Plus its nice to keep the elements off of the golf clubs, tool boxes, and any other random crap that I decide to put in the bed!

dont get me wrong i think theyre awesome, unfortunately mine (both are the same) have a design flaw in the front of the bed by the cab, that if not put on correctly they will leak, i havent been able to figure it out. but theyre awesome for keeping things in the bed dry and semi secure, i just didnt buy it for the mpg i guess is where i was going with that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Whether I agree with you or not isnt the issue. Several people ask questions in this vein. Somebody always has to say that. Its bs advice. Im sure he realizes inadequacy or he wouldnt have started the thread. No hard feelings, nothing personal but Id like to remove that auto response from all these effin threads!

In something.with.stock-33" tires and 3.73 gears if the driver stays under 2k rpms 20is attainable if you accelerate gently. Yes, even in a 7+ k pound truck.

Running wheels 12" in width(which I do :D ) isnt the way to do it. Narrow wheels and tires win this battle.

Fancy air filters and tuning is NOT the answer. Use the least amount of fuel possible and you'll get the best mileage.

The effects might be greater in a different vehicle.
i agree with most of this.. i can see flaming a guy that bitshes and complains... the op is asking how to improve on what he has...

just bout everything ty said is good... find some cheap 235/85/16 lrE tires and run them with 80-90psi of air..

i do however disagree that tuning does not help... well, it does.. i have 3, 7.3 superdutys that say so.... my dually having the biggest gains of the three.... stock it got 9-10 mpg no matter how it was drove or if towing..... before rebuild its was steady 14-16mpg depending how i drive it.. towing my fifth wheel 11-12 mpg... never checked after the rebuild cuz there really wasnt any sense till a few thousand more miles get put on it...

my 01, stock, when my brother owned it, did 16mpg religiously. tuned, 18-20mpg and he drives like a gramp ALL the time...

my brother now has an 02 cc sb srw 7.3 with an edge tuner, that was in it when bought, did 14-15.. now with beans/nltd custom tunes, 15-17mpg...

intake and exhaust compliments tuning...
live life full throttle

Last edited:

Zaairman

Reaction score
Best thing to do is scrape together a few extra hundred bucks to a grand and buy a beater car. It will pay for itself in the first two months.

Latest posts

Members online