Mpg

TrickTruck

Reaction score
The tire is a 325/50/22 I believe they are 35". I'm in the suburbs of Chicago. So lots of stop and go. Highest speeds around here are 40mph. This is all off the dummy gauge on the dash. It consistently stays at 12.9 to 13.0 with very little fluctuation. I'm considering different tuning. But need to do more research first.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My '12 was minimax g3arhead tunes, got 18mpg on the highway at 80mph and around 15-16 in town running the same size tire. Hand calculated.

My '16 which has not been on a diet yet gets 11 around town and has done a best of 13.5 on the highway. :(
It's about to get a diet...

ChitownPS

Reaction score
I don't reset mine, it seems to start with high mpg and takes a really long time to stabilize to 13mpg. And I'm ******d so no regens here

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yeah the whole goal of EGR is to cool combustion temps to reduce NOX, which also decreases the thermal efficiency of the engine. It also requires running more boost at any given time because a large portion of the air being sent in to the intake is exhaust which has very little oxygen. Part of the reason they went to DEF was so they could run less EGR while maintaining low NOX emissions. That's one reason why 6.7s get better mpg than 6.4s and why the newer rams with DEF do better than those without.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wut?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
We recycle exhaust to re burn unburnt fuel. If we have combustible gases re-entering intake, we use less fuel.

andrewtac

Reaction score
We recycle exhaust to re burn unburnt fuel. If we have combustible gases re-entering intake, we use less fuel.

Even if during the process the efficiency of the system is decreased? Also, does the feedback loop to determine fueling take into account the added reintroduced fuel and decrease fueling? I assuming fueling is based on throttle position, atmospheric conditions, load, and current vehicle state.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It reads to me their study didn't include the effect the vgt which can bring in more air without more fuel to spin turbo. sounds like their saying the added fuel consumption comes from needing to match air intake.

Trust me, were only talking about a point or 2, but it will certainly lower your mpg by removing EGR. But it evens out with the maintenance of a egr system.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
We love DEF for sure. It allows to run much more and have a wide range of timing and such.

I can see now where there is a cooling effect from properly cooled EGR. That I did not know!

Filling the chamber with the EGR though, will definitely reduce fuel consumption

Jomax

Reaction score
It’s all a necessary evil. I wish more company’s would focus on keeping the emissions intact in terms of tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brock1129

Reaction score
6" lift, 37x13.50r22, GH sotf, h&S low pressure pump, and no limit intake. Im in the burbs of pittsburgh. lots of stop and go. basically city driving. i get about 9mpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are you saying there is no combustibles in recirc'd exhaust?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I don't know about an intact EGR system "adding" MPGs, but I can say removing the EGR system has added MPGs and been sustained.

After March '15 the MPGs are increased and sustained over 16+ using various fuel additives. Some updates to my tuning have been applied, this is using the basic X4 device with aftermarket files. I'd love to add more MPGs with other tuning files, but the truck runs quite well for my needs and desires.

This graph below represents over 99k miles of driving, if you got other evidence to show please post it up.

Last I recall the EGR uses exhaust gases, not "un-burnt fuel". The purpose is to help "burn off" particulates that make up parts of the exhaust (soot??) by forcing them back thru the cylinders for another combustion cycle. I would need more info but highly doubt those particles are in any way a source of energy that allows for the creation of power in the motor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.12.39.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.12.39.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 98

Kolohe

Reaction score
I don't know about an intact EGR system "adding" MPGs, but I can say removing the EGR system has added MPGs and been sustained.

After March '15 the MPGs are increased and sustained over 16+ using various fuel additives. Some updates to my tuning have been applied, this is using the basic X4 device with aftermarket files. I'd love to add more MPGs with other tuning files, but the truck runs quite well for my needs and desires.

This graph below represents over 99k miles of driving, if you got other evidence to show please post it up.

Last I recall the EGR uses exhaust gases, not "un-burnt fuel". The purpose is to help "burn off" particulates that make up parts of the exhaust (soot??) by forcing them back thru the cylinders for another combustion cycle. I would need more info but highly doubt those particles are in any way a source of energy that allows for the creation of power in the motor.

He's been around a while....
c64aeafaa092b9ebac8ed2336f2173ee.jpg

Smokun

Reaction score
Remember if your truck idles a lot it will eat away at your fuel mileage indicator. I average around 12 in town and I drive like a dick. 17 on the highway driving sain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
I'm a pretty consistent 14 around town, went from salt lake to olathe colorado last weekend witch is about 340mi and lie-o-meter (witch is usually within .25mpg of dead nuts) was showing 21.5.

light weight exhaust, no limit stage 2 intake, and tyrant sotf tuning on level 4 (150hp I think it is)

fwiw, I seem to get better when there's stanadyne in the tank... witch is what these numbers reflect.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm a pretty consistent 14 around town, went from salt lake to olathe colorado last weekend witch is about 340mi and lie-o-meter (witch is usually within .25mpg of dead nuts) was showing 21.5.

light weight exhaust, no limit stage 2 intake, and tyrant sotf tuning on level 4 (150hp I think it is)

fwiw, I seem to get better when there's stanadyne in the tank... witch is what these numbers reflect.

How slow were you driving? Lol

slc6oh

Reaction score
How slow were you driving? Lol

The first like 25mi was 80, then the speed limit dropped to 55-65/70 the rest of the drive

Latest posts

Members online