MTW Stage 1 Mileage Report ~600 miles

Mdub707

Reaction score
Also still waiting for drive pressures from the stage 1.

I'm with Snake, you're going to need to fill to the cap and do it. I think the low fuel dinger is a joke. I've seen a few 6.0's run out of fuel when the dash said 100 miles to empty.

Snake

Reaction score
When my truck was bone stock, I got the "50 miles to empty" warning. Happened to be on the highway and knew I was only 18 miles from my exit (and a gas station). Twelve miles later the truck started shuddering and I barely made it to a gas station off a closer exit.

little luke

Reaction score
I only tested mine once. Went to an auction in lexington and fuel up to the neck before i left Reset the dash mpg and the trip. Came across the bridge back into Kentucky on the way home and when that thing said zero it ment it. Through it in neutral and rolled into the first station. Got 17.3 bone stock. And the 50 miles was more like 32. But only that once. Get 16.2 with current mods and tune. If milage increase is significant I believe I can justify to my girl that I need one. :D

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I don't tell anyone one with a turbo I build how to do any testing, if he wants to do it this way and beleives it's better than that's ok, if someone wants to do it a different way that fine too. I know for a fact that you will gain better MPG on this and any other turbo that can shove in alot of air. Increasing the air to fuel ratio is what will give you better mileage, the more air the better for fuel mileage. It is not just my turbos it would be any turbo that can supply the air. In fact the big boys ( 18 wheelers) have been doing the same thing on there rigs to increase gas mileage, and in Europe they have been doing it even longer.
I don't have drive pressure numbers for stage 1 yet, maybe when Matt gets time he can figure them out since he now has the stage 1 on this truck. In fact Matt will be able to tell you the differances in feel between stage 1 and 2.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I don't tell anyone one with a turbo I build how to do any testing, if he wants to do it this way and beleives it's better than that's ok, if someone wants to do it a different way that fine too. I know for a fact that you will gain better MPG on this and any other turbo that can shove in alot of air. Increasing the air to fuel ratio is what will give you better mileage, the more air the better for fuel mileage. It is not just my turbos it would be any turbo that can supply the air. In fact the big boys ( 18 wheelers) have been doing the same thing on there rigs to increase gas mileage, and in Europe they have been doing it even longer.
I don't have drive pressure numbers for stage 1 yet, maybe when Matt gets time he can figure them out since he now has the stage 1 on this truck. In fact Matt will be able to tell you the differances in feel between stage 1 and 2.

Can you please provide the testing results that allows you to know for certain that you will gain MPG while using your turbo? Also please provide the procedure used to collect the data since the procedure has been called into question in this thread.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I go by what my tester have told me about their mileage gain. The the ones running the turbo and a custom performance tunes have noticed hand calulated 4-8 miles per gallon gains over there stock turbo with same tune. I have a guy that hauls everyday and with a stock factory tune and stage 1 turbo he is getting 1 mile per gallon with full loads 24000lbs. that's DOT calulations. I don't understand the big deal, the mileage gain would happen even with a powermax over the stock turbo. Like I stated before it's the added air that increases the mileage, never said it just my turbos, it is anyones turbo that increases air over stock. I didn't start this thread, and anyone that runs one of the turbos I build can do whatever they would like with it. If some one with a powermax would have stated mileage increase, would be would it be so hard to accept it.
I will not battle anymore on here about how on what the numbers, with time and more people running the turbos I build, all the numbers will come out and still if you want to beleive do if not just let the info get out to the other members. If some one tries a turbo and comes back and says it didnt work as everone else has said then go ahead by all means and burn me.

Dlinzy

Reaction score
Well i've driven the truck over the same 90 mile 2 way commute 2 days in a row and will fill it back to the brim tomorrow on my way home, should have empirical supporting data for 225 miles. I didn't buy this for the fuel savings, that has been a Bonus.

It's between 3/4 and 5/8 tonight, a needle closer to 3/4" .

Stay tuned.

D

chappy

Reaction score
I've gotta say milage went down with my pmax. I thinks its just a lemon from the get go. Never worked right.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I go by what my tester have told me about their mileage gain. The the ones running the turbo and a custom performance tunes have noticed hand calulated 4-8 miles per gallon gains over there stock turbo with same tune. I have a guy that hauls everyday and with a stock factory tune and stage 1 turbo he is getting 1 mile per gallon with full loads 24000lbs. that's DOT calulations. I don't understand the big deal, the mileage gain would happen even with a powermax over the stock turbo. Like I stated before it's the added air that increases the mileage, never said it just my turbos, it is anyones turbo that increases air over stock. I didn't start this thread, and anyone that runs one of the turbos I build can do whatever they would like with it. If some one with a powermax would have stated mileage increase, would be would it be so hard to accept it.
I will not battle anymore on here about how on what the numbers, with time and more people running the turbos I build, all the numbers will come out and still if you want to beleive do if not just let the info get out to the other members. If some one tries a turbo and comes back and says it didnt work as everone else has said then go ahead by all means and burn me.

So if I bolt on an S500 turbo my fuel economy must really go up with all that extra air?

There is way more to it than just adding air for fuel economy. If your turbo spools up too easy - your back pressure will be too high to see fuel economy gains - if it spools up too lazy - you won't be reaping the benefits of the improved efficiency that a turbo charger naturally adds to an engine.

I'm not hating, not looking for a fight, I'm just looking for quantitative facts. So far I have seen a whole lot of qualitative opinions - and two dyno numbers (with no dyno sheets that actually show the curve - or any substantiating evidence that helps back up the dyno sheets). Think of me as a prospective buyer - just like many on this forum that are reading and waiting for results and numbers - if anything by asking for this information I am helping you sell turbos - all you have to do is provide.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
So if I bolt on an S500 turbo my fuel economy must really go up with all that extra air?

There is way more to it than just adding air for fuel economy. If your turbo spools up too easy - your back pressure will be too high to see fuel economy gains - if it spools up too lazy - you won't be reaping the benefits of the improved efficiency that a turbo charger naturally adds to an engine.

I'm not hating, not looking for a fight, I'm just looking for quantitative facts. So far I have seen a whole lot of qualitative opinions - and two dyno numbers (with no dyno sheets that actually show the curve - or any substantiating evidence that helps back up the dyno sheets). Think of me as a prospective buyer - just like many on this forum that are reading and waiting for results and numbers - if anything by asking for this information I am helping you sell turbos - all you have to do is provide.

Well you are right about backpressure, spool. I have only been building these turbos for little more than 8 months, as more time comes so will more numbers. If you and members want dyno sheets than ask Matt, for his, and I'll post Nates, but on differant thread, I'll call it dyno sheets for mad turbos. This poster decided to use his way of testing, and maybe he can do one of the others later. I will have some more numbers mid july and dyno track at the end of july. Like I have stated I need some more time to get numbers and more facts on these turbos. I will be getting backpressure numbers for you and the members also. Thanks

Dlinzy

Reaction score
Ok, 279 total miles of 3 days commute = 261 + 18miles to lunch and back at 5-Brothers Burgers Refill 13.3 Gl to fill to the neck = 20.9 MPG.at or around 72 mph avg.

Those boys are some serious #'s up from the 15's - 16's

I"m 1 Happy Camper.

D n Dallass

2006.1f250

Reaction score
I hope the stage 2 helps out my Excursion this much. On second thought, I just hope it can tow without crazy EGT's.

Dlinzy

Reaction score
24 Gal? Dunno actually as i've never filled it to the neck or waited for the foam to settle to see how much i can force into it, but it was a needle width from touching the 1/2 Tank mark.

05 CCSB full bed cover, 18x 35's 4.5 DR lift.

I can't ever remember getting 500+ miles on a tank of fuel, and it appears i will surpass that milestone this week.

D

Latest posts

Members online