My little 06 freshen up/non vgt project

slc6oh

Reaction score
Well got an ipr on, now builds pressure, but no start... After a while standing round scratching our heads , started doing self check on the lap top.. Random ficm codes ... Long story one of the ficm connectors wasnt in All the way. Connected all, and did the ole 1" heater hose trick. Sure as **** fires right up.

https://vimeo.com/159013345

I think im going to want a difrent muffler now too

03_PSD

Reaction score
That's great you got it figured out, a lot of times it's the little things that get over looked.

Truck sounds great!

slc6oh

Reaction score
Lol i think i spoke too soon.. Died going down the road thismorning. Fired right back up tho

slc6oh

Reaction score
looks like another missed connector was all it was. one on the driver inner fender wasn't locked in... with truck running I touched the connector and it died . got that together and haven't had any issues sense. thank god.

intercooler got here yesterday, but cant get smeding to email me back through ebay to exchange a charge pipe (they sent two hot side pipes, but all the correct boots)

whats the limit of the stock plastic pipe? lol

slc dzl

Reaction score
Good luck with smeding, they are quick to sell you something and impossible to get them to respond to any customer service issues.
Good to hear it's running.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Good luck with smeding, they are quick to sell you something and impossible to get them to respond to any customer service issues.
Good to hear it's running.

Yea.. The boots look nice tho at least. So mAybe scrounge up a stock metal cold side

slc6oh

Reaction score
Yea.. The boots look nice tho at least. So mAybe scrounge up a stock metal cold side

Ill be damned... Emailed them direct (not through ebay)

Responded near instantly... Asked for a pic of both hot sides next to each other, next email was from ups saying ive got a package comin

slc6oh

Reaction score
Well, finally was able to hook the toy hauler and see how it tows, (roughly 10k bumper pull)

Ill sum it up by saying it doesn't like anything under 2000rpm if your trying to cruise.

in o vative tow tune, no ficm tune yet... everything is money, holds direct with the converter locked when it needs too, might see 1000deg egt direct/locked. 22ish psi. 2100rpm or so. power feels great, but here in Utah, unless your on i15 you basically deal with rolling hills or big canyons and 50-60mph speed limits. flat ground, 60mph the converter locks in od and will fall to 16-1700 rpm. (iirc) flat gound, it will keep speed, egts depend on if I'm trying to give it throttle. so anywhere from 900-1250ish before it kicks the converter out.

the rpm thing isn't much worse than with the stock charger if I remember right as I don't know that it EVER liked towing up any hill or even gradual incline for that matter below 2000rpm.

getting the entire mess rolling seems like it takes a bit more peddle but the charger lights and boost/egt's are very controllable and getting to speed is no problem.

currently waiting for some ficm tuning and for ********** to send me a revised street tune, so currently running the tow tune. My commute is a highway with a 55mph speed limit, with traffic in the afternoon. on the street tune the converter wont lock in od. (so far only have tried cruising up to 60 but the converter still wont lock, this means 13mpg)

same commute, but on tow tune, and converter locking up I'm seeing like 18mpg.

on the tow tune, it locks the converter in od anywhere from 45up depending on load. now with it locked that soon, it unlocks/downshifts if I need to giddy up fast. but cruising there not much felt "power" as the charger is sitting at like 2-4# at 55. but if the power is needed. downshift and a lit turbo are just a slight push of the throttle away.

hoping ficm tuning crispens up the part throttle cruising some. I understand that's the nature of the beast, and am not disappointed at all, but if theres some improvement to be had , ill take it.

also, huuuuge drop in spool up on the tow tune, not towing vs. the street tune.

being that I have yet to be wot on the street tune I cant comment too much on power. but the 28# pull to like 3/4 throttle I did do a few times the power feels like its really just coming on at that point. very linear. still kinda "lightswitchie" as the lag to sudden full lit turbo, but not as bad as with the stock charger for sure.
once moving and rolling through the gears, the throttle peddle feels near in sync with the charger after like 8#

just tryin to keep yall posted, I know I had a bunch of questions when making the jump, but with no more than mdub's word, I really had nothing to go from. And any info when making the jump to non vgt makes the switch that much easier.

sootie

Reaction score

Could be just the video but i would've expected it to be stronger than that. Also it really sounds like its labouring over 3k rpm. Have you considered trying ge@rhead tunes? his snap right to 4k before shifting...

slc6oh

Reaction score
Could be just the video but i would've expected it to be stronger than that. Also it really sounds like its labouring over 3k rpm. Have you considered trying ge@rhead tunes? his snap right to 4k before shifting...

Hmmmmm

slc6oh

Reaction score
i assume you monitor icp voltage, ficm voltage and fuel pressure-all is in spec?

Ficm v holds 48-48.5, i believe icp v to be good but will double check, also need to build a hose to bring my fuel press gauge from under the hood so i can watch temporarily. Periodically

slc6oh

Reaction score
Wait a tic, watching the video, icp psi is only in the 2k range, coulda swore much higher on stock charger

sootie

Reaction score
Wait a tic, watching the video, icp psi is only in the 2k range, coulda swore much higher on stock charger

that does seem low, you can't watch psi on a tuned truck though, you must watch voltage. its one of the tuner tricks to get the pump to put out more.

Latest posts