My small build

strokin6L

Reaction score
I sent a message to UCF Machine Shop to see if more machine work would need to be done to the head/valves to compensate for the RCD pushrods so that lifter preload wouldn't be increased. The RCD pushrods are 9.850" I believe, not sure what the updated factory ones are.

swinky

Reaction score
All I know is the guy that did my heads is a genius. He just loves what he does, when he was talking to me about all the different stuff I just got confused and gave him my money.

swinky

Reaction score
A guy that works at blackwater reman company. They're O-ringed, stock push rods and valve springs.

04cr450

Reaction score
I would not run stock oem pushrods with the stiffer valve springs.. I know of two trucks that did this and both bent the push rods . Was that the cause? Not 100% sure but just something to think about and hopefully Morgan or somebody will chime in.

Strokethis34

Reaction score
Yeah I got Jared's heads for my build. And that's what's I was wondering if they were shorter pushrods. I'm wanting to run the updated shorter length but didn't know if rcd's were shorter length. My fault for the confusion.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yeah I got Jared's heads for my build. And that's what's I was wondering if they were shorter pushrods. I'm wanting to run the updated shorter length but didn't know if rcd's were shorter length. My fault for the confusion.

I sent Jared Alderson a FB message about heads from Blackwater. Might go with them instead of UCF. I just send Jared @ RCD a FB message about their 6.4 chromoly pushrods and he said that they are shorter than the 6L ones. So I'm gonna try and send the 6L ones back and go with the chromoly 6.4 ones. I hope I don't have a lifter issue like you did. Mine has a miss with #3 cylinder. Only has 85lbs of compression. Did a leak down test and found that air was coming out of intake side due to an intake valve from #3 cylinder not seating. Not sure if a valve is bent or what. But I hope the lifter for #3 cylinder didn't cause the issue. Or this build is gonna be more exspensive than I hoped for. Find out in about 5 weeks when the cab goes up.

swinky

Reaction score
I sent Jared Alderson a FB message about heads from Blackwater. Might go with them instead of UCF. I just send Jared @ RCD a FB message about their 6.4 chromoly pushrods and he said that they are shorter than the 6L ones. So I'm gonna try and send the 6L ones back and go with the chromoly 6.4 ones. I hope I don't have a lifter issue like you did. Mine has a miss with #3 cylinder. Only has 85lbs of compression. Did a leak down test and found that air was coming out of intake side due to an intake valve from #3 cylinder not seating. Not sure if a valve is bent or what. But I hope the lifter for #3 cylinder didn't cause the issue. Or this build is gonna be more exspensive than I hoped for. Find out in about 5 weeks when the cab goes up.
Okay so you're saying you're paranoid about a lifter being gone but you aren't going to put new lifters in it. Just do lifters please.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I'm gonna check the lifter for #3 cylinder for sure. And obviously if its bad....then most likely the cam will be bad. At that point....I will end up just getting a short block. I can get a short block from ford cheap. With 25% below list and no sales tax with my account....price shouldn't be bad.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
I'm gonna check the lifter for #3 cylinder. And obviously if its bad im gonna go ahead and replace them all, but If its fine I'm not replacing them.
But if you're even the least bit worried a lifter is your issue then that means you're acknowledging that they could be bad. I'd hate to fix it and have a lifter go next year.

Strokethis34

Reaction score
If you got the cab up. Just yank it and do them. It's $200-$250 for. Ford for lifters and guides. I hope that's not your issue because you'll need a cam then.

strokin6L

Reaction score
80k miles is all. Hoping motor is fine. I wont really know what caused the valve to not fully seat and only have 85lbs compression on #3 cylinder until I pull the heads and lifters for #3.

snafu

Reaction score
It could also be as simple as a piece of carbon stuck in the valve seat.

Latest posts

Members online