My Steering Box broke any suggestions on a better one?? Pics inside

mclarengts

Reaction score
So last night my steering box snapped. I had to tow it to the shop today. What kind can I get that's better beefier, and tighter than that stock? What are my options??

96F-7FB75EFF545F-8027-000008790DCE8FA0_zps9ec96888.jpg

C6A-B453A31C5CBC-8027-00000879039CCE07_zpse6422017.jpg

347-C1021DD797D0-8027-000008792413E0D9_zps0bc589fb.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
I snapped the stud out of the drag-link end that attaches to the pitman arm one time, only I was running down the road at 60mph with the whole drag-link sliding under the truck...

Sounds like you had a super uneventful experience in comparison.

I showed the guy at the Ford counter the slag inclusion in the forging directly where it broke as well as the rust inside where it had been fracturing more and more over time from that riser and he was like yep..... and told me the price of the new one....

I wanted to shove the link up his ass while explaining how I could have been killed but opted not to...

bruce

Reaction score
Everyone says read head, is it really that good or a bandwagon thing? Or will I notice it the first time I drive it?

they are really nice and tight. the money isn't absurd either in my opinion. helped my wander problem more than anything ive ever done

n54power

Reaction score
mine snapped a few months ago too. friggin scary.

from what i can tell it was from stress and movement. bolts loosen over time which caused the issue. it is a common issue though

CGMKCM

Reaction score
AGR performance makes a heavy duty unit also. Seems to be popular with off roaders. I replaced my steering box last week and went with Motorcraft.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've broke a few like that... There all the same, so getting a redhead will do nothing to prevent this failure...

I run Napa rebuilds most of the time, but I believe I have an o-rileys in there now.

co04cobra

Reaction score
A redhead may not prevent that failure but you will for sure notice a difference the first time you drive it.

I have installed and drove about every reman box out there. Always like the redhead.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
this is a common problem???

I have never seen or heard of this prior... Should you change one just to be safe?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
this is a common problem???

I have never seen or heard of this prior... Should you change one just to be safe?

Lift and big tires... It happens.

Common, I dont think so, but it happens. Most times at low speeds while trying to turn a heavy tire. Once your moving there is not near the TQ load on the box as when your trying to turn and not moving.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought mine straight from them.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

As for those that asked if its a bandwagon fanboy thing when some of us tell you its well worth it over the other boxes. It really is that much of a difference.

Heres what they do :
Red-Head Steering Gears Re-manufacturing Process

• Machining out the housings and installing needle bearings
  • Flame-spraying or replacing the shafts as needed Installing new control valves on some applications
  • Custom fitting each worm & piston assembly with special ordered, precise over-sized ball bearings.

The key part I believe is the installation of the needle bearings in place of the stock machined area that normally causes a ton of drag.

The results after switching are nothing short of amazing in my opinion. It drives much closer to a car and you can actually turn the wheels sitting still, something I know I had problems with and a ton of other people have complained about on this site and others.

Its night and day different. There is ZERO play in my trucks steering now AND it has zero binding which is what you get if you try to tighten a box to eliminate play. Installed the box and it was perfect. No adjustment needed or wanted.

You couldnt pay me to go back to a stock steering box after this. Its probably one of the best upgrades Ive ever done to my truck driveability wise.

Demon

Reaction score
I've done red head boxes. On each of my last 2 trucks. One superduty one dodge. Yes they are that good.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

AllanB

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. In all honesty, are you guys getting any warning before they snap? Like are they getting loose, or rattling in anyway?

co04cobra

Reaction score
90% of the time this is isolated to 99-04 boxes. They beefed up that shaft on 05up trucks.

Latest posts

Members online