My stock fuel system nozzle test

B585Ford

Reaction score
smoke control with nozzles is a non issue if you ask me

Fair enough, but I have a stick, so at take off, I don't have a TC slipping to help keep the RPMs a little higher to keep the smoke down...especially when towing.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Well now I know I am going to run a aftermarket fuel system. Good info guys.

Ahhh. I see what you did there.

so is it fair to say, that for a tow pig, this would be a good setup??

your never up in the very top rpm's, always down low and in the mid rpm range, and that blue line sure did go straight up fast.

i can count on one hand and have fingers not raised, how many times i have been over 3k rpm's in the last year, and having the ability to light the chargers that hard and that fast, and have that much down lower pulling a trailer, really appeals to me.

i'm sure it would take some working with matt, on getting the tunes smoke/haze free, but this idea has really always appealed to me.

on a side note, have you guys considered putting in some 30%, to test in addition to those 15%, and compare the same thing?

I wouldn't say that it's a bad idea for sure, but I'm not sure that the gains are enough to motivate me to spend the time and money on nozzles. Say you drop 25* cruising and 50* WOT but lose some steam up top.... Even after a custom tune. I know me going to the 72 from the 71 I saw temp drops at least that significant. I still think airflow should be addressed first.

Matt is the best at what he does no doubt, but there's a point where he is limited by the set up ya know? One awesome thing about extra air is that it basically makes a big tune that much more fun/usable.

After seeing these test results and trying all of the tuning that I did, I see 30% nozzles being worse (as for power loss) than the 15%. And I don't see EGT's dropping much more if any. Just my opinion though.

JD, thanks to you and/or Elite for doing this testing. I know it takes a lot of time and resources to do and I appreciate it. Along the lines of what Tree Trimmer said, for a guy like me and how I use my truck, this is making me think real hard about doing nozzles initially (until I have the funds to do dual fuelers) because down low and mid-range is what matters for how I use the truck. My only concern would be the smoke and it sounds like with enough tweaking, Matt could get it under control.

Matt can definitely get it dialed in, no doubt. Honestly I think that dual pumps help out with low end smoke control quite a bit just due to instant atomization and supply, but I understand you wanting good low end. It's tough for me to say though. Personally I wasn't too happy because I enjoy racing my truck, and I knew it wasn't where it used to be. Wide open I was high enough in the rpms that I was at the disadvantaged side of the nozzles. If I was more interested in the performance pre 2k rpms, I would probably be happy. My truck makes enough low end to lit the tires up almost immediately off a light, so I've never wanted more.

smoke control with nozzles is a non issue if you ask me

I agree. Just watching how tuning has progressed over the last 2 years has changed my mind on how I wanted to build my truck.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Fair enough, but I have a stick, so at take off, I don't have a TC slipping to help keep the RPMs a little higher to keep the smoke down...especially when towing.

Mike@hallers has a pretty good tune in the works for manual transmissions he is doing on his dads 450

And properly tuned nozzles should cut down that lag between shifts too

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Interesting. Explains a few of my issues. Cant wait to get the dual pumps on!

Latest posts

Members online