Napa 6637 vs. OEM Filter

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
this is what mine looked like if you want to replace the tube.... if not then just use a 3'' piece of 4''od pipe and use the existing tube.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wix is 46637 and donaldson makes wix and napa so i don't know the best place... check fleetfilter.com i think there around 30+shipping..

Tonka350

Reaction score
I completely replaced the tube as well, but when I get home I'm going to replace it again with the style like "Great White" where it's actually 2 filters underneath the engine, but for now I just took a piece of 45* 4" pipe and ran it all the way to the first turbo coupling for the intake and put it in the stock location.

Chad

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
this is how mine looks now.... didn't want to relocate battery to fit two 6637's. i get the filters at cost and there a dryflow.

Attachments

• new amsoil filters 013.jpg
    new amsoil filters 013.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 76

PStroked444

Reaction score
yes I forgot the clamps. I believe you just need to buy one for the filter. There should be an oridinal in the intake side.

LincolnLocker: Interesting intake. Think it helps?:gun:

TARM

Reaction score
If you can always see if they have a Donaldson made filter for that cross reference. Just like with fuel and oil filters cross ref just mean they fit and have a very broad spec group. There can be large differences in performance. The Donaldson by far has the best filtration I have seen. I know Donaldson makes filters that have other manf stickers on them but you would have to check specifically for that. Such as I picked up a Carquest one in a Carquest box and inside was a Donaldson filter with the Donaldson sticker right on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you can always see if they have a Donaldson made filter for that cross reference. Just like with fuel and oil filters cross ref just mean they fit and have a very broad spec group. There can be large differences in performance. The Donaldson by far has the best filtration I have seen. I know Donaldson makes filters that have other manf stickers on them but you would have to check specifically for that. Such as I picked up a Carquest one in a Carquest box and inside was a Donaldson filter with the Donaldson sticker right on it.

Same with a wix and a napa i got!

TARM

Reaction score
Lincolnlocker,

yep its very widespread. If one make a run and offers the best per lot pricing manf labels will use them. Next run who knows? Its all dictated by the $$

Wanted to point something out looking at your pick of your dual filter setup which by the way looks great. The placement of your filter minders are incorrect and will never read the actual vacuum. They are always going to read much much lower than actual. There is the least vacuum at the end of a filter as the least amount of air is being drawn. In fact it could be so low it my not even regester with some sensors. The closer to the base the fast and more air volume and thus vacuum is being pulled. You really do not have enough tube on each filter stem to run one for each filter. But the amount of debris pickup shoudl be very close to even between the two so one is all thats needed. Besides those filter minders are calibrated for the vacuum produced from the single intake track. Dill a hole a couple inchs back from the Y in the main tube and place one of the minders there. That will give you the true vacuum that is being pulled thru both of the filters and all the air being pulled thru them. The other way you are only reading a very small % of the air draw from each.

Its a nice setup for sure. I wonder what you could do if the battery was not there. I tend to wonder what some of the even larger filters could be fit in there maybe with a 5 or 6" opening. Then you could reduce to what your comp inlet size is that would get you good mass flow and vel of the air. I have not looked thru the Donaldson big rig filters in some time. But I would think find a filter for a engine that is running in excess of your tq and power range as well as a turbo of similar or larger size so needed flow is in excess. You could then hopefully benefit from the work the manf did in matching filter air flow to engine needs.:shrug: With that Batt out of the way you could fit one h3ll of a filter or filters in there.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
tarm,
yeah you said the same thing in my post on psn and i did have the minder in the tube itself thats what led me to make the setup i have now... i just put the minders in the ends of the filters to plug the holes... heres a pic of how i did have it befor i switched to the amsoil filters... if you can see it the minder is in the tube by the brake master cylinder... also if i cap one of the tubes where the filter hooks to it and only run one filter i can move the minder a little even out on the end like they are...

Attachments

• new intake 001.jpg
    new intake 001.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
LL,

Forgot about that. Bouncing between two forums is a bit of a pain as I forget whats whats and many threads get duplicated. I can see it now that you point it out.

Latest posts

Members online