Need a little help on a 5R110 to 4R100 swap

AllanB

Reaction score
I have got the 4R100 transmission bolted up. Had to make a couple of extra holes in the cross member, but no big deal. I have gotten down to the drive shaft. You would think that I could tell the guy at the junk yard to find me a drive shaft for a 4R100. Not so. What year models did the 4R100 come in, and were there any other transmission in those years for the Superduty? When I get the driveshaft with the correct yoke on it. I want to do away with the carrier bearing, so I plan to use the yoke from the 4R100 drive shaft to have a 1 piece drive shaft made. Anyone know where can I get a really strong 1 piece drive shaft made? Also will need to replace the shifter cable. Probably have to get that at the dealer. Be glad to get this truck back on the road.
Thanks for any and all help

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
You can probably get one made at a driveline shop I would imagine, the 4R100 was used from 98-03 I believe. But if I'm not mistaken I think the one that bolts up to the 6.4 is the one with the mod motor bolt pattern, but I could be wrong on that.

AllanB

Reaction score
The one that bolts up to the 6.4ltr is a 4R100 from a V10. The top two bolts do not line up. There are 2 more bolts at the bottom that both sides are threaded. You just have to take a drill and ream the threads out on one side. It was easiest to ream them out on the motor side, bolts stab easier that direction.
I am kinda wanting a driveline shop that works with higher hp cars and trucks. Due to the length of the drive shaft and putting slicks on the back so I can get traction. I am worried about twisting it in half.

AllanB

Reaction score
I live in a small town so definitely no one here to trust. I figure if I can find one, I could send the yoke to them, and get the measurements they need. They should be able to build it and send it to me.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I had a guy in nashville build a single piece driveshaft for me. Its called daves driveshaft in nashville, tn. I told him i needed a one piece shaft to go behind a 1k hp cummins and he built me one and told me hell warranty it as long as i own it. He can ship and hes a super nice guy. Takes pride in his work.

AllanB

Reaction score
Subscribed. Considering a 2wd single cab 6.4 project.

Be ready to spend some time, and have some patience with setting it up for getting some traction. I haven't taken it to the track yet, still have a few things to take care of first. But I am not sure that traction on the street is achievable. Maybe so, we will see.

I had a guy in nashville build a single piece driveshaft for me. Its called daves driveshaft in nashville, tn. I told him i needed a one piece shaft to go behind a 1k hp cummins and he built me one and told me hell warranty it as long as i own it. He can ship and hes a super nice guy. Takes pride in his work.

This sounds just exactly like the type of place I am looking for. Nothing like people that take pride in what they do, and are willing to back it up with a guarantee. Thanks for the info. I will look them up and give him a call tomorrow. Ready to get this truck back on the pavement.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yeah I can imagine. Do you have any suspension work done? 4link or traction bars or anything? Got an idea on what size slicks your going to run?

AllanB

Reaction score
Yeah I can imagine. Do you have any suspension work done? 4link or traction bars or anything? Got an idea on what size slicks your going to run?

I have Caltracs. But with my truck being lowered, there is some suspension work I am going to do just after the trans is finished. The DJM kit is not strong enough to hold the torque. I was getting ready to back date my brakes so that I could run a 16'' wheel on back. But I see M&H is putting a 18'' slick out now. I will look into this, and hopefully I can fit a 18'' wheel over my brake calipers without having to backdate my brakes.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Thought anything bigger the 17" would work on the 04+ SD? Or do you have some after market brakes?

Latest posts

Members online