Need a new turbo

Y2KPowerstroke

Reaction score
I want to get a new turbo for my 2000 7.3 f250, any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
GTP38r is good for a drop in, up to a certain HP, and vendors have options also.

Arisley

Reaction score
You can go al the way back to TDS days. There was a guy there that always asked "What's a good turbo?".

There are a lot of good answers to this question.

Do you want simple drop in swap. Easy answer GTP38R. It is a great turbo from stock injectors, and will handle up to some decent injectors, like 238\80's, or mini me's from DI.

if you don't mind swapping everything from the block up and everything after the exhaust manifolds, the question has a million or so answers.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Won't be much feedback about it but the KC38r from KC turbo would be another drop in option.
I'm running a 38r on stock injectors with a hydra canned tunes. I would recommend at least a tune with this turbo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You can go al the way back to TDS days. There was a guy there that always asked "What's a good turbo?".

There are a lot of good answers to this question.

Do you want simple drop in swap. Easy answer GTP38R. It is a great turbo from stock injectors, and will handle up to some decent injectors, like 238\80's, or mini me's from DI.

if you don't mind swapping everything from the block up and everything after the exhaust manifolds, the question has a million or so answers.
agreed!!

you're on the ball tonight old man!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Baker42

Reaction score
I installed a t4 mount and Borg Warner's new S364.5 sxe on mine. I used to pull my 5th wheel about 12000 lbs, and was constantly looking at the pyro and downshifting to fourth gear to lower exhaust temps. After this turbo I never have to drop a gear, and I don't even need a pyro anymore. It pulls hard from 1600 rpm as far as I stay in it and egt never even reaches 1200. Best damn thing I have e3ver done to the truck. Flows quite a bit more than a gtp38R as well.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
There are tons of threads that talk about different turbos and how they work and what people use for them. You just need to sit down and spend a little time reading. Everybody has their own opinions about what turbo works best. Some prefer a simple drop in while others go straight to a t-4. You also need to think about your end goals for the truck because this will help determine what kind of charger to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hucorey

Reaction score
No question the KC38R is better charger than the Garrett 38R as far as drop in factory replacements. Better warranty, billet wheel, and comes with the high flow outlet flange installed.

Stock to 180/30 injector run the .84 housing, anything bigger, run the 1.0 housing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No question the KC38R is better charger than the Garrett 38R as far as drop in factory replacements. Better warranty, billet wheel, and comes with the high flow outlet flange installed.

Stock to 180/30 injector run the .84 housing, anything bigger, run the 1.0 housing.

whats the price on that kc38r? and specs that show its better? turbine side must be different if it is a big difference id think.

live life full throttle

hucorey

Reaction score
$1490 shipped

66/93 compressor
76/70 turbine

Boost/drive pressures are much closer to each other compared to the Garret on my 250's. I've got 450/400's now, but I'm quite a ways from being dialed in on tuning. Mainly just no time to mess with it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
$1490 shipped

66/93 compressor
76/70 turbine

Boost/drive pressures are much closer to each other compared to the Garret on my 250's. I've got 450/400's now, but I'm quite a ways from being dialed in on tuning. Mainly just no time to mess with it.

ahhh 10-4.. basically a van turbine. should make a good turbo..

live life full throttle

gwunter

Reaction score
Did anyone ever do a legitimate twin(not compound) setup on a 7.3 that actually seemed like it was a good setup?....not trying to derail.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Did anyone ever do a legitimate twin(not compound) setup on a 7.3 that actually seemed like it was a good setup?....not trying to derail.

I swear I thought I saw a thread kicking around about some one having that kind of twin turbo (one on each bank) setup. Not sure if it was proven legit though. The real question is what would the specs be on something like that relative to the fuel available. Might be able to extrapolate from your 4bt setup to find out the answer. Lol!

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have a hankering for a turbo upgrade. I have a 38R I bought last fall and have 10K miles on. I'd sell you my 38R, HFO, and bellowed up pipes for 1400. I also welded shut my pedestal so no leaks. Basically if you gave me a full T4 kit and I bought the turbo of my choice. Though I see you haven't been on in a week.

I was thinking of adjusting my waste gate tonight. And where it's at, I'm peaking at 52 psi (need to subtract 14.7 for barometric meaning 38 psi exhaust) with 38 psi boost. Pretty much 1:1 up to where mines at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online