Need a tool ASAP

Snake

Reaction score
I can't find one for much less than $500, and i don't have that kind of money.

The part is a 1-1/4" - 20 UN tap. OTC part #014-00934-1

So now I'm the bad guy because I can't find the exact thing i broke because they don't make it anymore?

I may have taken the language a bit far because i was pissed when i posted but the concept remains the same.

I don't think the concept has remained the same. Which is it? Can you no longer find the tool because they don't make it? Or is it that you found something similar for less and that's not what your soon to be former friend wants?

goonygugle

Reaction score
Bottom line is that it was his tool and if he wants the OTC replacement then that's what you should buy him, you crash your ford and the insurance company gives u a chevy are you gonna be satisfied with them telling you a trucks a truck ?

Dave

Reaction score
I don't think the concept has remained the same. Which is it? Can you no longer find the tool because they don't make it? Or is it that you found something similar for less and that's not what your soon to be former friend wants?

He cant find it because they dont make it anymore. Ive been helping him try to find it.

OTC discontinued the tool in favor of one that doesnt require cab removal

Big Bore

Reaction score
It's not the situation you are in, it's your attitude towards your friend who did you the favor by loaning you the tool. Buy the rosewood unit, finish your job, loan him the Rosewood with the understanding that you are looking for a replacement for his tool. If in the meantime he decides he likes the Rosewood tool then you are good.

BTW, you had an "ASAP" in your original post. Is your truck still sitting unrepaired?

Dave

Reaction score
It's not the situation you are in, it's your attitude towards your friend who did you the favor by loaning you the tool. Buy the rosewood unit, finish your job, loan him the Rosewood with the understanding that you are looking for a replacement for his tool. If in the meantime he decides he likes the Rosewood tool then you are good.

BTW, you had an "ASAP" in your original post. Is your truck still sitting unrepaired?

No he got his taken care of. Offered to give the guy the new tool.

Jake P

Reaction score

I found it in 1 place for $500. For all i know it wasn't even in stock anymore and they just never removed it.

Bottom line is that it was his tool and if he wants the OTC replacement then that's what you should buy him, you crash your ford and the insurance company gives u a chevy are you gonna be satisfied with them telling you a trucks a truck ?

If it was a brand new chevy id take it. Of course id trade it and buy a ford but id still be ahead either way.

He cant find it because they dont make it anymore. Ive been helping him try to find it.

Thank you Dave, apparently no one else here understands that.

The tap broke on the last cup. Which really, how the **** does hardened steel break threading in to brass??? The truck is fixed. The tap still works perfectly, you can just tell it was broke because one of the corners is chipped off.

I have the tap you are looking for, call me tomorrow at the shop,

I will. Any idea on price?

Things might have changed for the better, i think he is ok with the updated tool now.

Snake

Reaction score

Yup, I'll have a slice of humble pie please. I did some searching online and made some calls...absolutely zero success finding the tool in question (other than seeing David's recent post here). No chit, that tool is a unicorn. My apologies.

Thats good news, for him and your friendship.

Agreed!

Jake P

Reaction score
Yup, I'll have a slice of humble pie please. I did some searching online and made some calls...absolutely zero success finding the tool in question (other than seeing David's recent post here). No chit, that tool is a unicorn. My apologies.

Mhm. Understand my frustration now? Apology accepted.

Dave (im guessing thats who you are), I didn't get a chance to call you at the shop today thanks to working 3rd shift and sleeping all day. I'll try tomorrow. Unless you wanna PM me what you are thinkin for a price or whatever.

Snake

Reaction score
Mhm. Understand my frustration now? Apology accepted.

Yes I do, and thanks. I have some friends who are Ford diesel techs and a couple others who own a 4x4 shop / diesel repair shop, and none of them had this. Helped put things in perspective.

Latest posts

Members online