Need HELP ASAP!!

Tom S

Reaction score
I have done PATS keys on a Taurus with AE and it worked OK just a little trick.

TARM

Reaction score
Guys I made it to Texas. But in the minivan. There just was not time to go get the truck pcm from anyoneand get there.

I have to say i never bothered till now to understand the relationships between things luke PATS GEMS etc. Frankly I have never had an issue with them until now beyond the basics like one going bad.

I have learned alot and I really appreciate all you guy willingness to help me out. When i get back (3 weeks) I may take some people up on offers as I do have to have this running ASAP when I get back.

So the plan as I thought it out on what turned out to be a 20 hr drive straight thru from Winchester VA to Houston Tx is the following:

Leave PATS unplugged as that kills the secuirty like completely.

Need a new TS chip (Arisley thank you for your offer there but I think Matt is going to take care of me)

Will install a Truck PCM as this will kill the PATS sync issue according to you guys that commented. As I understand it is the Xcur PCM looking for the PATS signal key and is freaking out. A truck PCM will not.

Install a truck engine wiring harness which in combo with the truck PCM will slow me to switch to the cheaper relay go system vs the $$$$ gpcm of the X.

Now a question I just want to see if anyone knows or at least can take an edumakated guess: Do you think the reason the pump kept running with the swapped in X PCM was from it not finding that PATS key it was looking for?

My guess is yes as that is what happened with old one before it fried when it threw up the disable code which was from PATS losing sync? What do ya think or know?

In a way I am very excited as this so far is showing my injectors are all good. The IDM to Injectors wiring harness is also good as are the connections. All should be good with the above swaps of pcm and truck harness.

I still need to get a IDM HV HF from Dave at swamps. Thanks btw for telling where to disconnect the PATS Dave!!

I have been plagued for months with rough running and ism codes. It looks now that the IDM and BWD CPS fixed those as buzz and contribution were finally all clear before things when poof with the pcm and chip.

For the first time in a long time I may actually have no trouble codes that should not be there. I can reinstall the resistors and even those will be gone as well.

Then I can get to enjoy driving and doing small upgrades that only have it down for a day or two each. The kind of stuff I enjoy.

Last edited:

2dedge

Reaction score
ALWAYS TAKE THE KEY OUT. And keep it 2+ feet away and disconnect your scanner. Even better would be disconnect the batteries

Arisley

Reaction score
Me also.

Although I have swapped chips many times with my Scangauge plugged into the OBDII port. Probably because it is drawing power from the PCM not adding anything. It will be unplugged from now on though.

TARM

Reaction score
I never gave it a thought before this happened. But if it has an active power and data stream I can see how it happened. As the AE gets powered via the USB cord its an outside power source and hence a possible issue. I was always super careful to make sure keys were out. Now I have learned a lesson which may have just been a freak thing but regardless I will never take a chance again. Its cost me a PCM, TS Chip, tons of stress and 12 hrs trying to get things running, 4 new tires and a tranny flush to use a different vehicle, lost chance for live tuning, traveling across half the country in a more cramped vehicle I do not enjoy driving near as much. So without a doubt I think I may add a quick disconnect between between the batteries and power line and will always make sure nothing is connected to the OBDII port as well.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Me also.

Although I have swapped chips many times with my Scangauge plugged into the OBDII port. Probably because it is drawing power from the PCM not adding anything. It will be unplugged from now on though.

I just wait for the gauge to go blank/power down, never thought about it otherwise.

TARM

Reaction score
I will never chance it again. I could not even think if I had to pay fir a pcm straight from ford!!!! What are they close to a grand these days lol. I am very grateful for friends and peole that live in areas with 7.3 trucks in salvage yards. Seems they do not exsist in my parts of va as no one is will to actually junk one!?!

Latest posts

Members online