Need Help Diagnosing Bad Oil Leak (Pics Inside)

Freerider15

Reaction score
So, just noticed a puddle under the truck. I just got done towing a trailer with a vehicle ~600 miles round trip this last weekend. I thought it might be the other issue I'm tracking down, coolant leaking somewhere on the front side of the engine.

Engine hasn't leaked a drop up until this point then BAM...both of these issues. The truck has ~135k on it, i've only put a few thousand miles on it in the two years I've owned it.

Specs on truck:
- 99.5 F-350 7.3L, ZF6, 135k on the ODO, pretty well stock.

Oil leak locations:

Back side of starter?
20140814_183908_zpsc051742b.png

Main leak seems to be on the back passenger side of the oil pan (causing it to leak out the hole shown as well):
20140814_192126_zps332265ed.png

20140814_183915_zps16b75161.png

Bad leak...this came out in about 10 minutes of running:
20140814_192156_zps0dd07f86.png

My guess would be oil pan gasket? It doesn't leak at first, or after sitting for a bit. So that leads me to believe gasket since the sloshing of the oil is whats causing the leak.

Any ideas? I hate to see this since it means pulling the motor :'(

TyCorr

Reaction score
If im seeing the photos right, that doesnt tell us anything. There is a drainhole in the block to keep the valley from filling up with oil/fuel/water. You have to be extra careful because on your particular setup with the manual, you WILL ruin your clutch once that oil gets into the lining.

Get a piece of tubing and force it into the drain hole and extend it down far enough that it can't wind up in your bellhousing.

Then you need to get up on top of the motor with a flashlight and see where the leak is coming from.

It might be a hpo oil line or the pump.

But look in the valley of the motor as its just speculation and common problem spots im suggesting right now.

webb06

Reaction score
if the valley is dry like he ^^^ suggested checking. then it looks like either a rear main (which is pretty uncommon), oil pan gasket, or ive even seen a hole rubbed in the oil pan from the inspection cover on the trans

Freerider15

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the responses.

I am thinking it a little odd for the amount of fluent fluid coming out to be a pan, since normally those tend to be a smaller leak on other vehicles (i'm very familiar with Jeep 4.0L's).

I'm still somewhat green to the 7.3L. Would you happen to have any links offhand to checking the valley and drain hole? I'm working on my forum and google-fu...but I know sometimes it easier when someone pulls it right out. I'm assuming the valley is the area between the two cylinder sides...its just a b*tch to see down in there. Its dark now so can't see easily now. The little glance I got into the valley from looking from the passenger side...it wasn't dry.

I'm off to do some searching and googling...but if you have anything for me please feel free to post up! :toast:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sorry if its confusing but no. I dont have any links. The drain is in the rear of the valley. On the passengers side. It exits above and behind the starter. So y9u are seeing the bottom of the drain and assuming the leak originates there.

Freerider15

Reaction score
TyCorr, thanks for the heads up.

I'm thinking there is a good chance its the valley.

Found this video:

http://powerstrokehelp.com/7.3liter/leaks/1of2.asp

Seems like the valley is a b*tch to see and get too. I'll get the fuel bowl cover taken off and see how much that helps (along with more daylight). I'll work on throwing some degreaser in there and spraying it down.

Hopefully from there and maybe trying a tube...I'll be able to see whats leaking.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its from Irate yes. Reg return? No. Its the comp fuel system. All you are seeing is the ss hardlines and regulator mounted to see how it fits.

The system he sent me is excellent! Those hard lines fit really well and look great in my opinion anyway.

rascal

Reaction score
I have had a leak just like that. Mine was coming from the turbo pedistal.

Arisley

Reaction score
Any leak in the valley, will leave the valley in the same hole. A leaking turbo pedestal will look exactly like a leaking HPOP on the ground or on the bottom of the motor.

Freerider15

Reaction score
So I was able to run home for lunch for some more investigation.

Pull the fuel bowl cover off and shined a flashlight down in the valley.

There are definitely some puddles in there, so it appears to be something leaking into the valley. So I'm planning on doing some degreasing and cleaning to better tell where it is coming from.

Question 1: Is it worth taking the spider off and whatever else may need to in order to get the valley clean?

Question 2: What are the common things that would fill the valley with oil? (It is definitely not fuel, no diesel smell present).

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Also check the oil rail plug on the back of the head. In Ty's first pic just to the right of the bottom of the arrow you can see the plug. Rubber o-ring could be bad.

Freerider15

Reaction score
I'll check out what you guys have mentioned.

Pulled off the spider and cleaned a bunch. I let it run before I did to see if I could see what was happening. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure its towards the very front of the valley (away from the firewall).

Seems to be doing a "waterfall" thing...pouring from one puddle to another, before pouring out the drain hole.

I'm letting everything dry real well (castrol cleaned the entire engine bay while I was at it) then I'll get the spider back on, start her, and let her run.

Spider was actually pretty damn easy to get off.

Freerider15

Reaction score
Ok, found the leak. Only took as long as it took me to turn the truck on and climb up under the hook to look to produce this:

20140815_183142_zpseb8a8ba7.png

The top part of the photo is essentially the back side and down of the fuel bowl, the bottom side of the picture would be towards the firewall.

So, any ideas on what this would be? I'm guessing something HPOP related. If I stick my hand down there and put my fingers up under it, I can feel oil (but not exactly tell where its coming from offhand.

Freerider15

Reaction score
So doing a little more reading, googling, etc...

I'm guessing its either the hose outlets, the "non-servicable" plug, or the IPR port. I've got an extandable mirror....but not sure I can easily see down there with it. Guess I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I can't figure out what on the HPOP is leaking.

Arisley

Reaction score
See the nut to the left of the white wire connector and down low. That is the back of the IPR. You need to pull the HPOP to fix the leak that you have. It's not hard at all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.