Need some advice and opinions

4cstr

Reaction score
Took the camper out for the first time this past weekend, and I think I may have underestimated just how hard a time my truck would have pulling this thing. The camper, loaded up for the weekend...is crossing the scales around 12k pounds. Here is the vitals on the truck...

E99 250
original turbo
6L CAC
Billet Stealth stage 1 hpop
Monsterbox Trans
factory trans cooler plus TruCool aux tranny cooler
Casserly stage 1 single shot injectors
DP 40hp tow tune
aFe stage 1 intake (removed box..so element is sitting on fender)

On flat ground I couldn't hold the truck in overdrive. I would try to slowly accelerate and my EGT's would get above 1250 very quickly. If I kicked off the OD...EGT's came down and I could drive 65 to 70 without issue. When hills did show up...had to drive by the gauge as EGT's would climb very very quickly when trying to get up the hill. On one long uphill grade...had to kick on the flashers since I topped the grade at 40 mph. My buddy in his 2012 250 told me he had to let off the throttle so he didn't blow my doors off. :eek:wned:

A new truck just isn't in the cards right now (trying to refi the house), so what do I need to look at or do to help the truck tow the camper better. Do I go back to stock injectors (de power the truck) or water injection or ??? I really need to get the most bang for my buck here...so lemme know your thoughts.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
First things first. We need to figure out what is wrong with your truck - there is no reason for anything that you just posted unless there is something wrong. Do you have a scan gauge or Auto Enginuity? I would highly suggest AE.

This could be a mechanical issue - or it could be a tuning issue. So we need to narrow it down by looking at what the parameters are doing in certain situations - and then narrow it down by further testing.

bruce

Reaction score
go to a d66, or van turbo. somethin with a larger exhaust housin to keep those egts down

4cstr

Reaction score
I have an AE. There are no codes being thrown. My fear is that I've added more fuel with the stage 1 single shots...but by staying with my E99 turbo...I'm not moving more air. I can get 20 pounds of boost easily. Jody (DP Tuner) wrote my tow file for me. Last year with our old camper(about 5k pounds lighter) I didn't have this big of an issue. I had to keep an eye on my EGT gauge...but never really had that big of an issue like I do now.

If I go to something with a bigger exhaust housing...am I going to have a harder time lighting the turbo?

TARM

Reaction score
Just wondering is the truck smokey or is it running clean in this tune?

It does not matter if you have more fuel that you COULD use (getting larger injectors over stock)its what it IS using (what the tune file tells it to inject). A tune can call for as little or the max your injectors have. But that may not be the issue or could be the only issue. ie the tunes. Point being if you tunes are calling for too much fuel for the amount of air your turbo can flow in and out then egts are going to get toasty. If everything is mechanically OK regardless of your current turbo size a tune can be written that will prevent EGTS from going over 1200.

No codes so that rules out a number of things.

You could have a boost leak which is basically causing the same issue but its a mechanical one that would need to be found and fixed of course.

I am sure some of the more experienced guys like HRT will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
How about boost leaks, up-pipe leaks, oil leaks, etc?

When you are cruising down the road with the trailer on the back - what is your ICP, duty cycle, PW, MFD, boost, backpressure, etc?

You have a problem, we need to find it. If it can't hold overdrive its not making power - combine that with high EGTs and you likely have a boost leak, an exhaust leak, or have really low ICP that is either mechanically or electronically induced.

4cstr

Reaction score
ICP when running without overdrive is around 2800psi (when in overdrive or tried in overdrive ICP would be in the 2400-2500 psi range) (I have one of the Isspro hpop gauges)...boost is around 20 pounds not in OD...in OD about 12 to 14. I've crawled under the truck and looked up at the up pipes and didn't see any streaks indicative of leaking up pipes.

MFD??? not heard of that.

no oil puddles on the ground or in the valley. I just put a new IPR in last fall.

Next time towing is the end of the month down to Kansas City. I know that once I get south of Omaha and into northern Missouri..the hills are going to kill me. Especially that climb toward Squaw Creek. :eek:wned:

Jason

Reaction score
I didnt refresh this thread since i first looked at it 2.5 hrs ago. Your truck should have no problem pulling that camper stock. Added power from injectors, oil, proper tuning, it should drag it like its not there. My truck with stock injectors could drag 20k lbs behind it and maintain speed without being locked out of overdrive. Some big hills, would require me to kick od out, and hold rpm 2600-2800 pulling them grossing 30k in my tow tune that was rated for like 8k lbs or whatever....and it wouldnt get super hot, and i would pass obs powerstrokes dragging much smaller loads, like they were sitting still.

TARM

Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say boost leak that occurred via the reinstall after the injectors were installed. Just a guess though

Latest posts

Members online