Need some advice on a non-vgt

Merc82

Reaction score
I studded my truck in December and had my injectors rebuilt by Holder's to 190/30, added a regulated return and a few other things as well. I already had added a few things such as a stage 2 vgt, ported intake and all the other typical mods. Pretty happy with the way runs, It spools up great, seems pretty clean and EGTs are pretty good cruising, WOT I have seen like 1600. I don't think I am taking full advantage of all my fuel, I could have it pulled, but why? I have thought about a stage 3 VGT, but from what I have read, I think it would be a little laggy for me. So been looking at non VGT options and would be curious as to how a Borg 365.4 FMW would work with what I got. Anybody else running a similar setup? What A/R would be best? How would spool up compare to my stage 2 VGT? I am assuming it would pull a lot harder. Would it be worth the swap?

strokin6L

Reaction score
You mean the 364.5mm right? If you go non vgt...I'd spec it like this 364.5/70/90. Spool up might be similar to the vgt stage 2, but could be a tad laggier. Depends on the tuning tho.

04cr450

Reaction score
I just completed this setup 364.5 x70x91 with 205/75's and love it. It's very fun to drive... and an animal compared to the stage 3 and stage 2 vgt set up I had before. Vgt has its place not knocking it.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Curious how the 68vgt would be laggy for you, particularly in comparison to the nonvgt route…

Most seem to say the nonvgt is slightly more laggy than the vgt, when properly setup.

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
As stated above, the VGT turbos generally will light quicker than non vgt, just a fact about it. But with the non vgt you are looking at it should light quick, and produce about the same power! Im no turbo expert, just trying to help out!

swinky

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see how a stage 3 vgt would be laggy for you. I'm sure a 364.5 with spot on tuning will spool great but I can't imagine it having noticeably quicker or slower spool than a stage 3.

Just if you do decide to go non vgt make sure you do t4 divided up pipes and not that pos turbonetics adapter. Really though if all you want to run is those 190/30s and egts are only 1600 I'd spend the money on an intercooler. It could probably get your egts down in the 1400s and you don't gain any lag period.

matt92idi

Reaction score
If your trying to find something to spool faster than a vgt its going to be a pretty small turbo with a tight housing. I run a 62mm with a .91 divided housing and the highest iv seen my egts with 225s is 1400ish and spools awesome. Like swinky said don't run an adapter and get a set of divided up pipes

Merc82

Reaction score
'Preciate the input. Might just do some more airflow mods, already got a set of repaired up pipes to swap out with my old ones ready to put on the truck and a new intercooler sitting at my buddie's shop to put in, been looking at a No limit intake and a possible regear soon as well.

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you're going non-VGT, you're going to want to get different up-pipes anyway. I used the CED pipes with the T4 flange and a divided housing. I wouldn't run a non VGT any other way on a 6.0 myself.

Merc82

Reaction score
Mine isn't going to be a "race truck", it has to be multipurpose. I have to have the ability to tow decent with my job. Just a good DD, hot street truck with good towing capabilities.

TurboV

Reaction score
with 190/30 I would do a S362fmw 62/68/.83 IMO on Irates t4 kit. I have one on a stock injector truck and love it. Makes 493hp on stock injectors and I think with 190/30 it would be awesome. I tow with mine and a little laggy hauling cattle on the dirt roads going under 50mph, but towing down the interstate going 70mph its fantastic. it also knocked .2 seconds off my1/4 mile time and got my 60ft down to a 1.80 with mud terrains and a fully loaded CCSB at 60psi of tire pressure. It all comes down to tuning. I run Gearhead and have had really good luck.

Latest posts

Members online