Neutral Safety Switch

caladash

Reaction score
Sometimes the the truck won't start at random times. Have to put it in neutral to get it to start. No codes are present. Checked the neutral safety switch and it's pretty dirty on the outside. Pins and plug are clean internally. Bad switch? Can it be taken apart and cleaned?

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Is your shifter nice and firm tight between gears? Or is it a little sloppy?

Commonly the torx screw on the shifter linkage are notorious for loosening up.

If it is sloppy remove fuse panel, look up under dash(laying in floor) for these torx, and see if you can tighten them...

loose_gearshift_bolts.jpg

Bald-N-Blue

Reaction score
Sometimes the the truck won't start at random times. Have to put it in neutral to get it to start. No codes are present. Checked the neutral safety switch and it's pretty dirty on the outside. Pins and plug are clean internally. Bad switch? Can it be taken apart and cleaned?

Make sure the screws holding the switch to the trans are nice and tight - I was having the same problem for a while and I found the screws pretty loose. After I tightened them up it's good as new.

You also might check the tension in the cable. I remember reading something about a guy having to adjust the free play in the cable by removing the little yellow plastic gizmo (it's late, sorry about the overly technical jargon) and pulling the cable a little tighter. If there's too much play in the cable, the switch might not be making it all the way to the "park" position.

caladash

Reaction score
I will give this all a try. I luckily have a spare. Mark, I would love to pick your brain one day!

Latest posts

Members online