New 6.4 Owner with some concerns including coolant

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first diesel which is my new 2008 f250 6.4, truck is fully ******d with ARP head studs, machined heads, new OEM injectors, new enhanced short block with oil cooler, new HPFP, CCV mod, sump kit, new high pressure cartilage, new up-pipes and cold air intake, 4” straight pipe, running on the H&S XRT PRO (have only driven it on the tow tune and the shifts feel "delayed" when driving around town in low gears, will the street tune fix this???) .

Overall, I loved the truck, the owner said everything was put on about 9k miles ago and states that all the fluids were flushed and replaced. My main concern is with the coolant on this truck, when looking into the coolant tank, I can see a greenish tint to the coolant and that really scares me. Does this coolant need to be removed ASAP and replaced with ELC rated coolant?

I’ve done a large search on flushing out the coolant system and adding in new stuff but had a few questions about the process in my situation. Do I need to run restore and restore + when flushing out the coolant, or will regular tap water and distilled water be good enough? Another question is about the thermostat; do I need to remove this when flushing my system or can it be left on (id prefer to not have to remove it if possible)? I just want to remove the crap green coolant and put some ELC rated coolant in the truck for precautionary reasons before anything happens. Anything else I should address when doing this flush? What type of coolant are you running that’s ELC rated?

Thanks guys,

:toast:

webb06

Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first diesel which is my new 2008 f250 6.4, truck is fully ******d with ARP head studs, machined heads, new OEM injectors, new enhanced short block with oil cooler, new HPFP, CCV mod, sump kit, new high pressure cartilage, new up-pipes and cold air intake, 4” straight pipe, running on the H&S XRT PRO (have only driven it on the tow tune and the shifts feel "delayed" when driving around town in low gears, will the street tune fix this???) .

Overall, I loved the truck, the owner said everything was put on about 9k miles ago and states that all the fluids were flushed and replaced. My main concern is with the coolant on this truck, when looking into the coolant tank, I can see a greenish tint to the coolant and that really scares me. Does this coolant need to be removed ASAP and replaced with ELC rated coolant?

I’ve done a large search on flushing out the coolant system and adding in new stuff but had a few questions about the process in my situation. Do I need to run restore and restore + when flushing out the coolant, or will regular tap water and distilled water be good enough? Another question is about the thermostat; do I need to remove this when flushing my system or can it be left on (id prefer to not have to remove it if possible)? I just want to remove the crap green coolant and put some ELC rated coolant in the truck for precautionary reasons before anything happens. Anything else I should address when doing this flush? What type of coolant are you running that’s ELC rated?

Thanks guys,

:toast:

The Ford Gold coolant can sometimes have a green tint to it. It may be best to drain a little coolant out of the truck just to see what's in it.

A lot of people run green coolant in these truck after they have been ******d. In our shop we always use the ford gold though. So I guess it's your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The proper way to flush it does have you pull the thermostats, and run it, then tee into a heater line and flush it through there with the block plugs removed 1 at a time. You may be able to get away with separating the lower hose and pulling both block plugs and refilling. Doing it thatway it should take about 7 gallons or so, total on the system is 8. It seems guys are running either cat or shell elc.

Latest posts

Members online