New 72mm and Motor Build- Odd Noise

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
Got my motor all put back together and everything seems great except under a full throttle load i get a real weird noise that sounds like it could be coming from the turbo. I have checked for exhaust and boost leaks but i cant find anything...Can anyone describe what it sounds like when the downpipe rubs the firewall?...It seems like i can feel it thru the pedal.

The noise only comes under hard acceleration and at full throttle or right as i let off. It does not happen every time. It makes 55lbs of boost and 69lbs of EBP in the Spartan 250 tune.

Stock fuel with a 72, No limit intake, HD uppipes and stock intake manifold. No wastegate and a heavy duty valvetrain

Thanks

3brorce

Reaction score
If its the DP hitting firewall you would hear, feel it when hitting bumps. Mine hit and you could feel it in the pedal. I just moved my cab back towards the bed some.

black6.4

Reaction score
Downpipe gets my vote mine does the same when motr twists.....also check your downpipe connection where the two bolts are mine was rubbing on frame or trans brace

jugger13

Reaction score
99.9% sure its a bolt on the firewall hitting your passenger side up pipe.

Myself and a few others have had the same thing happen.

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
The noise is like a muffled air horn. Short duration not a long high pitched noise. I can feel vibration thru the pedal. I'll check the downpipe and uppipes again and let you know what I find. I'll also try to get a video.
Thanks for the help

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
Update: Stud is not rubbing on the passenger side uppipe
My downpipe was real close to the High Pressure fuel line so i adjusted it out of the way but the noise is still there.

Ill try and get a Video today.

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
Update: Here is the link to the video. The noise occurs @27 Seconds and by watching the video now it looks like it happens right during the shift to overdrive.

http://youtu.be/GXljEcAzc-0

Another noise started occurring, but i think this is the downpipe. When i hit a large bump while turning, i hear a very loud knock/clunk underneath the cab of the pickup. I will move my cab back some and see if it fixes it because there is only currently about 2mm of clearance between the back of the downpipe and the firewall.

Pmac21

Reaction score
That sounds like air coming back through the intake during the shift and when you let off. Mine does it pretty loud on the 300 tune.

3brorce

Reaction score
I would agree. Mine does it as well. Noticed it when egr got deleted.

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the responses guys. I fixed the other noises last night. Downpipe was hitting the pinchbead on a big bump and making a lot of noise. Also had an uppipe rubbing the heatshield and the ebp tube resonating on the valve cover.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.