New and renew

BigRed6.4

Reaction score
What's up everybody?

I'm not new to diesels, but I'm sort of new to the HPFP common rail world. I grew up on a farm with everything diesel and diesel pickups since the first Ford IDI back in the early 90's - my dad was the first one to buy one anywhere around us. I graduated hs in 1992 and promptly got a new 1992 F250 Powerstroke and no, it was the year before turbos, so it didn't have a turbo and it was a beautiful slow truck. Fast forward through a couple 90's OBS Powerstrokes and I jumped the 6.0 liter bandwagon and in 2017 bought this Big Red 6.4. I learned the difference rather quickly when I let it get some water in the fuel (never a big deal with the 7.3) and I had to spend some hard earned thousands on a new fuel system. She ran like a banshee for the next year until I cracked a piston (we think that's it, but we're about to find out for certain).

The goal now is this month (August) I'm getting on the KDD waiting list for a long block and doing a lot of upgrades and a new paint job, amongst other things. I'm looking forward to it.

de AA5AZ for any amateur radio ops out there!

IMG_2120.jpeg

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Welcome.

Friend of mine is Die hard 6.4 man. He tows a race car all over the midwest. When his 6.4 decided to give up he tried a 6.7 and hated it. Built a 6.4 and fixed his old truck.

Definitely lotta of people love them.

BigRed6.4

Reaction score
Welcome.

Friend of mine is Die hard 6.4 man. He tows a race car all over the midwest. When his 6.4 decided to give up he tried a 6.7 and hated it. Built a 6.4 and fixed his old truck.

Definitely lotta of people love them.
Yeah, I bought the truck right. Probably bought it about half of retail blue book at the time. With that in mind and the fact I spent $9k on the fuel system and some other odds and ends, I sort of had myself "in too deep." ;) I'm 49, so I hope this ol' bird can get me to 60 :).

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the truck right. Probably bought it about half of retail blue book at the time. With that in mind and the fact I spent $9k on the fuel system and some other odds and ends, I sort of had myself "in too deep." ;) I'm 49, so I hope this ol' bird can get me to 60 :).
You got the same rims I do.

Yea, these things can be money pits. Mine getting close to 330k. Done me well other than a leaking head gasket due to a failed vgt controller. When time and funds allow it might get built. But, I do like the newer drive train better. So time will tell.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What do you mean by "dame rims?" I don't like them. The stock looks so much better. That'll be one of the first things I swap out after the engine and paint.
"Same" That's what I get for not proof reading the text.

My stock rims were just a plastic piece glued onto steel rims.

Last edited: