New bumper/ stop rust

Redpower

Reaction score
I got a new bumper for my 95 F-250 and want to prevent this one from rusting out. It seemed like the last one had dirt sit in the pan of the bumper and rust it out. Would painting or spraying rattle can bed liner in the bumper help prevent this, or just make it happen faster?

Bugman

Reaction score
You can never stop rust but you can slow it down.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that dirt sits in the pan of the bumper. All you need to do is when ever you get dirt or mud into a area that will hold it and mositure to clean it out.

You could try something like Line-X but any chip in it will alow a point for the rust to start.

Redpower

Reaction score
I thought maybe painting over it would help keep it out. I try to wash it out real good every time, but I know I can't get it all out.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Use por15 or 395a, I just used 395a on the inside my front bumper, and i gave the chrome a good 100 grit sanding before I painted it. If I were u I would defiantly use por15 or 395a, if you dyi bed liner it there's about a 90% chance the liner will either peal or get moister behind it and rust worse then if you did nothing

Redpower

Reaction score
Use por15 or 395a, I just used 395a on the inside my front bumper, and i gave the chrome a good 100 grit sanding before I painted it. If I were u I would defiantly use por15 or 395a, if you dyi bed liner it there's about a 90% chance the liner will either peal or get moister behind it and rust worse then if you did nothing

:whs: I was thinking that might happen.

96OBS

Reaction score
I'm pretty much an expert on rust I think... lol. My 96 came from Ohio so my bed was Rusty so I replaced it with a flatbed. My frame has pretty heavy surface rust, so I took and steamed it off really good and let it dry good and took some rustoleum sating black paint and a small roller and painted the whole frame and used spray can for tight spots. I paint my frame regularly and try my best to keep it clean!!!

Latest posts

Members online