New injectors

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
an intercooler will always help, but if you have the right combo of air in and air out with the proper fuel, and intercooler isnt needed...... but thats just what i have read in a few performance books, intercoolers make more piping and lag time for race and pulling, with all that said, i will be putting an intercooler on my truck b4 injectors go in

I'm going to disagree with you with the "right combo of air in and air out with the proper fuel an intercooler isnt needed" Makes me think that you are using A/F ratio that would be used on a gasser? Plus there isnt that much difference of lag time(ever hear of a boosted launch?), maybe four foot extra of pipe.

Sorry, but an intercooler should be on any diesel. Freaking stupid that the obs trucks came without one and came with such a stupid downpipe.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
is the exhaust real smokey? looking to run stage twos but dont want all the smoke...

Tuning....and your right foot come in to play.

For what its worth cat rebels truck smokes about as much as a chipped SD and he has bigger injectors....

sparksf250

Reaction score
I agree on the OBS needing a intercooler. These only get hot on the "all out" tune the other settings it pretty much stops at 1000. now thats truck only not pulling anything. they are tuned great too. rolling 25-30 and massing the pedal to the floor only gives me a pretty good haze not a huge cloud of black

superdutyman97

Reaction score
Are you running any other supporting mods for the injectors? I'm wanting a similar set up but I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my hpop to run 1.5s.

obs7.3

Reaction score
Are you running any other supporting mods for the injectors? I'm wanting a similar set up but I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my hpop to run 1.5s.

I was always told no because the .5 is just a 30% nozzle instead of a stock one, and stage 1's can run on the stock hpop. But like I said, that's just what I was always told

superdutyman97

Reaction score
I was always told no because the .5 is just a 30% nozzle instead of a stock one, and stage 1's can run on the stock hpop. But like I said, that's just what I was always told
Cool thanks for the info. We're going up friday to drop off my dads truck so ill tak to him then.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with you with the "right combo of air in and air out with the proper fuel an intercooler isnt needed" Makes me think that you are using A/F ratio that would be used on a gasser? Plus there isnt that much difference of lag time(ever hear of a boosted launch?), maybe four foot extra of pipe.

Sorry, but an intercooler should be on any diesel. Freaking stupid that the obs trucks came without one and came with such a stupid downpipe.

i agree with you.... just sayin what i read in a book, but that book was based on pulling and all out racing so maby thats why there was talks of running no intercooler?????

like i said, i will be installing one my truck b4 it gets tuned up!!

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
i agree with you.... just sayin what i read in a book, but that book was based on pulling and all out racing so maby thats why there was talks of running no intercooler?????

like i said, i will be installing one my truck b4 it gets tuned up!!

when dealing with all out racing and sled pulling seem that most people are going to a air to water cooler...or however it is.

obs7.3

Reaction score
I've never seen or heard of an OBS with Stage-1's and good performance tunes that didn't require a larger hpop.
most stage 1's don't REQUIRE a new hpop but a lot of places recommend it.
stage 1's don't require anymore psi to open the injector but if the pump is weak then it makes more sense to change it when you upgrade injectors.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
most stage 1's don't REQUIRE a new hpop but a lot of places recommend it.
stage 1's don't require anymore psi to open the injector but if the pump is weak then it makes more sense to change it when you upgrade injectors.

Please re-read my post: "....AND GOOD PERFORMANCE TUNES..."
If you have Stage-1's AND good tunes you WILL NEED a larger HPOP.
Without any tunes, or low hp, poor tunes you will probably get by not setting a CEL. All that means is you're probably in the 2000 psi range and not low enough to set the CEL.
The increased stroke in the Stage-1's WILL require more oil when they are pushed.
Not really opinion, it's just the way it is...

obs7.3

Reaction score
Please re-read my post: "....AND GOOD PERFORMANCE TUNES..."
If you have Stage-1's AND good tunes you WILL NEED a larger HPOP.
Without any tunes, or low hp, poor tunes you will probably get by not setting a CEL. All that means is you're probably in the 2000 psi range and not low enough to set the CEL.
The increased stroke in the Stage-1's WILL require more oil when they are pushed.
Not really opinion, it's just the way it is...

sorry. stage 1's and good tunes = bigger hpop.
even though they're not considered a stage 1, the baby swamps are usually run with the stock hpop.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
Its getting a new hpop later this summer, hopefully sooner as i'm planning on a whole slew of parts to support the new injectors and open up the possibility of bigger ones eventually. the new HPOP, fuel system, intercooler, bigger charger, and a better clutch. Just trying to keep it on a budget right now. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Members online