New member, 2008 6.4

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2008 6.4 crew cab SRW with 30k miles. I have a few mods already on my to do list and would like some help in what order to do them. Truck is a weekend driver for trips and occasionally pull light weight campers and trailers. Looking for drivability, reliability and fuel mileage. I'm not a power junky although I'm not going to deny liking the skinny pedal on occasion when a cummins or duramax wants to try me.

Below is what I'm thinking for order.
1. H & S programmer
2. Offroad race upgrade for tuner
3. DPF/cat delete for when I'm offroading
4. Coolant filter
5. EGR block off or full delete
6. Shock/tire upgrade for a quieter smoother ride
7. Radiator/hose updates or upgrades
8. Innercooler pipes and boot upgrades

I have a bumper to bumper factory extended warrarty till Oct 2015 so I'm a little concerned about the programmer and deletes. On the EGR delete, do the coolers hold up better after the race tunes that turn the EGR system off? I'm thinking all the heat when they are working is what causes them to go bad. Help me out here and let me know what I'm missing or what order you did your mods.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Cat/DPF delete pipe ordered. H&S tuner and Gearhead tunes are next on the list and should be ordered later this week.

This truck will see quite a bit of highway with no load so I'm looking to increase ride quality to keep my girl happy. Thinking about trimming the front bump stops to increase suspension travel and flipping the rear overload springs. Any other suggestions? I know I could go 4 link or replace the springs but looking for low budget options until I get some other stuff bought.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Little update on my truck. Four weeks ago a limb fell on my truck sitting in my yard. Two weeks later I hit a deer with the drivers side mirror. Anyone want to take a guess which one cost more to fix? $1400 for 1 mirror, I'm sure glad I have good insurance.

In better news I went with a H&S mini maxx with gearhead tunes. I love the way this truck runs. Few little quirks with the shifting but I plan on contacting Matt and seeing if he will tweak my trans files.

I entered into the local fair dirt drags and ended up in second place in the modified class. I ended up jumping the light and lost to a guy I know with a heavily modified 7.3. With my mini maxx set to display speed I was hitting 57-62 MPH in 300 ft depending on how much boost I had when the light went green. I have some poor quality videos I'll try to post up later.

VanoFord

Reaction score
^^^ no kidding! my 08 that i just picked up in Novermber had 80k on her. 10mo later i'm rolling 104k and about to delete since my extended just ran out. great lookin PSD.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Getting ready to head to Mud nationals in Texas on March 25th and thinking about spending a little money on the ole girl before my trip. Only going to be towing a small trailer with 2 quads on it so power isn't going to be a problem but some extra mileage would be nice.

Currently running mini max, gearhead tunes, stock airbox with no lid and flow pro delete pipe. Should I look into intake or exhaust upgrades first? Leaning toward a 4in down pipe to get rid of some of the hair dryer/jet plane sound.

I had the thermostats replaced under warranty last winter and I ordered a sinister coolant filter I plan on installing this week. Figured it was a good time to do this as it will have plenty of time to filter on the way down and I bought an extra filter to replace before the drive home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online