New oil thread.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
About to do my first oil change. All the threads I can find are 5-6 years old. So now that these trucks have been out 10+ years what's everyone running? Not looking to make a debate just what do you run and do you like it? Thanks guys.

patricku47

Reaction score
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 synthetic from jimdawg185 on here. Switched from Amsoil and got a noticeably better cold start and idle quality. I've since switched my Harley over to his oil and noticed that it runs cooler too. Quality oil and his customer service is second to none.

Lugger007

Reaction score
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 synthetic from jimdawg185 on here. Switched from Amsoil and got a noticeably better cold start and idle quality. I've since switched my Harley over to his oil and noticed that it runs cooler too. Quality oil and his customer service is second to none.

I agree with the above completely. OP, Give jim a call or shoot him a pm and he'll hook you up.
It's not even worth trying other brands. His products are expensive upfront, but the prolonged maintance intervals and higher quality exceed any other products on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I agree with the above completely. OP, Give jim a call or shoot him a pm and he'll hook you up.
It's not even worth trying other brands. His products are expensive upfront, but the prolonged maintance intervals and higher quality exceed any other products on the market.

His stuff is really that good? Sounds like you guys love it. I was torn between Rotella T6 and Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've run T6 and Mobil TDT. I currently have TDT in my truck and am waiting for my next service interval to switch over to LE. I see it this way- it's industrial grade oil that's used in multimillion dollar machinery all over the world. I highly doubt corporations are trusting their multimillion and multibillion* dollar equipment to TDT and T6. Better quality almost always costs more upfront but saves you money in the long run. Part of the reason I bought a diesel was longevity and I'd like to do whatever I can to prolong the life of mine. Plus, he's a good dude and does what he says he does. That means a lot to me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've run T6 and Mobil TDT. I currently have TDT in my truck and am waiting for my next service interval to switch over to LE. I see it this way- it's industrial grade oil that's used in multimillion dollar machinery all over the world. I highly doubt corporations are trusting their multimillion and multibillion* dollar equipment to TDT and T6. Better quality almost always costs more upfront but saves you money in the long run. Part of the reason I bought a diesel was longevity and I'd like to do whatever I can to prolong the life of mine. Plus, he's a good dude and does what he says he does. That means a lot to me.
very good explanation!!
How much are we talking here? I sent him a PM
only a couple bucks more per oci. depending on the size of the container you buy it in.. the bigger you go the cheaper it gets..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I am talking to him now.....he seems very knowledgeable. Thanks for pointing me in right direction guys. I have a good feeling about this.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I am talking to him now.....he seems very knowledgeable. Thanks for pointing me in right direction guys. I have a good feeling about this.
he gets a boner talking about his products.. dude knows his chit!

live life full throttle

slc6oh

Reaction score
my theory, alot of good oils now days, most importantly ya gott change it on time or even early EVERY TIME. while ive only got 5yrs or so doing specifically engine work (heavy diesel, over the road) i have yet to see a case where poor oil caused any type of failure, the guy in the bay next to me is a cat/cummins guy, cats are largely heui, he says the same, with alot more years exp than myself he says he cant think of a single issue caused by oil that wasnt up to par. (all that being said, i do know 6.0 injectors are picky for some)

i ran t6 the first two oil changes i did on my truck and did a uoa with the machine i have here at the shop... everything was cool.

switched to dello le 5w40 for the next couple changes, uoa showed everything was cool. then after i did my head gasket job.

just this last oil change i went to regular ole 15w40 dello le, runs the exact same, starts the exact same, engines no more noisey or anything best of all, its dirt cheap. (28$ for 2.5gal jug from walmart) i come across it at work for free99 as well from time to time and have enough to do my next oil change sitting on my shelf at home. ill run my current stuff for 4000mi or so and do a uoa. then go from there...

i like the idea of synthetic. but at the end of the day, whats it all really worth? (as long as ****s getting changed on time every time, i kinda have a hard time believing alot of the hype)

except rev x. that **** works. haha

Corys6.0

Reaction score
my theory, alot of good oils now days, most importantly ya gott change it on time or even early EVERY TIME. while ive only got 5yrs or so doing specifically engine work (heavy diesel, over the road) i have yet to see a case where poor oil caused any type of failure, the guy in the bay next to me is a cat/cummins guy, cats are largely heui, he says the same, with alot more years exp than myself he says he cant think of a single issue caused by oil that wasnt up to par. (all that being said, i do know 6.0 injectors are picky for some)

i ran t6 the first two oil changes i did on my truck and did a uoa with the machine i have here at the shop... everything was cool.

switched to dello le 5w40 for the next couple changes, uoa showed everything was cool. then after i did my head gasket job.

just this last oil change i went to regular ole 15w40 dello le, runs the exact same, starts the exact same, engines no more noisey or anything best of all, its dirt cheap. (28$ for 2.5gal jug from walmart) i come across it at work for free99 as well from time to time and have enough to do my next oil change sitting on my shelf at home. ill run my current stuff for 4000mi or so and do a uoa. then go from there...

i like the idea of synthetic. but at the end of the day, whats it all really worth? (as long as ****s getting changed on time every time, i kinda have a hard time believing alot of the hype)

except rev x. that **** works. haha

Are you saying you do use the Rev X oil additive?

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I have the same feelings and results between using 15w-40 dino oil and syn. Absolutely no difference. Changing the oil every 5,000 miles is the best thing you can do. Are Ag tractors have run for 8,000 to 10,000 hrs under a hell of a lot tougher conditions than a pickup engine will ever see in its life with just 15w-40 dino oil.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
picky 6.0 injectors are about the only ones you have to worry about needing high dolor oil in.. after a 100k miles is when you will see the side affects of using dino oil for the entire life of the injectors vs synthetic oil..

live life full throttle

slc6oh

Reaction score
Are you saying you do use the Rev X oil additive?

Currently yes. One thing i noticed, was some grey smoke at initial start up, did it before and after my "freshin up" rev x that i had laying a round went in with this 15/40 dyno and the grey smoke stopped .. So whatever was/is my issue was fixed by the revx or the thicker oil..

Little road trip yesterday, cruise set at 70, lie-o-meter had me at 22.8mpg, after ficm tune is about dead on, so i guess fuel mileage didnt really suffer going to 15/40 dyno

slc6oh

Reaction score
picky 6.0 injectors are about the only ones you have to worry about needing high dolor oil in.. after a 100k miles is when you will see the side affects of using dino oil for the entire life of the injectors vs synthetic oil..

live life full throttle

I can agree with that for sure. Specifically the injectors... I feel tho the rest of the egine mechanically is/would be just fine

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
definitely will be just fine... buuuut, injectors are the common failure point due to oil.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.