New tires - front end feels loose

Lugger007

Reaction score
I put new tires on my 12 6.7 this weekend.
Mastercraft cursor axt 315/70/17
Their an upgrade from my 270/70/17 think I had prior.
Now the front end feels loose especially at highway speeds. Feels like the steering wheel moves 2" before tires react. Is this due to the larger/wider tires? Any ideas on how to correct. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lugger007

Reaction score
whats the air pressure set at?

live life full throttle

Tire shop said they set them about 65/70 lbs all around. But I'll double check in the am.

I drove about 350 miles (majority highway) on them and it's noticeable more on the highway

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
unless you are towing, set the fronts to 60 and rears to 50... mastercraft tires are super stiff.. i have been putting the mxt's on our work trucks and i can run 10 to 15 psi less air in them to make them wear flat and they dont look flat and mushy like others would.
the trucks we tow with i can still run 65 to 70 vs 80 and they still dont squat.

live life full throttle

jcain

Reaction score
It's the outer layer of tread that's greasy and squirmy. It'll go away after miles

Lugger007

Reaction score
unless you are towing, set the fronts to 60 and rears to 50... mastercraft tires are super stiff.. i have been putting the mxt's on our work trucks and i can run 10 to 15 psi less air in them to make them wear flat and they dont look flat and mushy like others would.
the trucks we tow with i can still run 65 to 70 vs 80 and they still dont squat.

live life full throttle

Had the dealer check the alignment and steering wheel tonight, all within spec.
Tech thinks the looseness in steering wheel is from the slack in the gear box.
We set the tires to 60 front 50 rear and now the low pressure light is on. Might need to raise them a bit.
The looseness is still there, sounds like I might just need to lear to live with it unless there is an upgraded steering box

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Had the dealer check the alignment and steering wheel tonight, all within spec.
Tech thinks the looseness in steering wheel is from the slack in the gear box.
We set the tires to 60 front 50 rear and now the low pressure light is on. Might need to raise them a bit.
The looseness is still there, sounds like I might just need to lear to live with it unless there is an upgraded steering box

how many miles are on the truck? and yeah, unless you have a tuner to set the tpms to a lower value it will set it off.. didnt think of that. pump the rears back up to 60.

live life full throttle

Lugger007

Reaction score
how many miles are on the truck? and yeah, unless you have a tuner to set the tpms to a lower value it will set it off.. didnt think of that. pump the rears back up to 60.

live life full throttle

96xxx miles.
Don't have a tuner yet, once warranty expires at 100k thinking about maybe deleting it and tuner then

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
You've got a tire that's technically too wide for the narrow stock wheels and you added sidewall height. You now know what happens when you do those 2 things. Learn to like it or put a tire that fits the wheel correctly on the truck...or wider wheels.
Yes, I know people do it all the time. That doesn't make it correct.

Lugger007

Reaction score
You've got a tire that's technically too wide for the narrow stock wheels and you added sidewall height. You now know what happens when you do those 2 things. Learn to like it or put a tire that fits the wheel correctly on the truck...or wider wheels.
Yes, I know people do it all the time. That doesn't make it correct.

I don't have stock wheels. I put new ones on at the same time. I believe their 9 or 10" wide rims.

Lugger007

Reaction score

live life full throttle

I've left the tires at the psi you mentioned in previous post for the last week. The light still comes on but I at least know why. It still feels a tad looser but it's not horrible as I'm ready for it.

Does anyone know of how to make front end little tighter steering wise?

Blown262

Reaction score
I've left the tires at the psi you mentioned in previous post for the last week. The light still comes on but I at least know why. It still feels a tad looser but it's not horrible as I'm ready for it.

Does anyone know of how to make front end little tighter steering wise?

Just set the toe out a tad. It'll be fine. lol In all seriousness, it probably has a lot to do with the slack in the joints that aren't as evident with tires that are easier to turn.

Latest posts

Members online