New to 6.4

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
Hey just picked up a 08 and wasn't sure what anyone recommended as far as upgrades and oil cooler if it needs fixing or not from the factory style. Thanks. Truck has a ******* tuner race exhaust and the egr is turned off

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Welcome to the 6fo club! Lol. May want to completely remove the EGR and get a No Limit intake and keep up on maintenance. After that depends on if you want to make a lot of power or just have a fun daily driver. Post some pics!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
I have the egr ****** kit just haven't put it on yet. I've had the truck less than a month so far. Idk I like to have fun and go fast but I also don't like gawd awful repair bills lol. Will do when I get a chance and thanks for the reply

03silvertj

Reaction score
Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. That will help avoid costly repairs most of all. I fall into the category of Intake, Ehaust, Tune and a fun daily driver but really haven't had much of a problem yet (knock on wood). I did remove the EGR as well. I do oil changes and fuel filter changes religiously.

Most of all enjoy the truck! I believe that International went out with a Bang! The 6.4 has a lot of potential.

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
Yea seems like a bad a truck. Love it so far. I usually do oil changes every 3k miles and fuel filter every 6 to 9k miles. And will be removing the egr soon no issiues with oil cooler?

03silvertj

Reaction score
No issues with my oil cooler. Others may be able to speak more intelligently about it.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Just keep an eye on your deltas. As long as your oil and coolant temps don't get over a 10 degree split in them, your cooler is doing a good job.

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
Ok. Seems to sit about 194 to 200 so far depending on how much I jump the throttle with less than a degree difference from coolant

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Yeah your good then. Once you start seeing the split get more than 10 degrees its starting to get clogged and needs replaced.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
give me a call and i can walk you thru all your options, at the best prices / products / service . # is below, ask for mike .

f350guy

Reaction score
What's the best thing to put in factory or?

If you are this worried about a plugged oil cooler, install a coolant filter kit. I use a Diesel Site brand one. It was about $120, been on the truck for around 80k now I guess, maybe more...just rolled 100k if it matters and I ******d it at 9k.

From what I have seen, 6.4s do not have nearly the same amount of oil cooler failures as the 6.0 trucks.

Install the filter, flush the coolant, worry about something else.

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
Good to hear. Yea been looking at them figured it couldn't hurt and was prob a good idea. Thanks for the input

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Yeah I have a sinister diesel coolant filtration kit. They are easy to install and cheap enough for a little added security.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

kpainkiler45

Reaction score
How much do you usually get from the filters. As far as contamination

Black AOD

Reaction score
How much do you usually get from the filters. As far as contamination

The coolant kits do a good job. I have one as well. 6.4 blocks were cast in sand so they recommend first change after 3 months, then 6, then 9, then a year. After the 1 year mark they say to change them once a year as long as your first 1 year change filter looks like it isn't getting much sand in it anymore.

Check your lifters and rocker arms if you ever get the chance. If they are worn badly, replace all the rockers with OEM and if the lifters are worn badly there is now an HD option that has an added squirter built in to it for added oil distribution, it's worth the upgrade if it comes to that.

Oil and fuel filters like everyone has said for sure. Oil cooler sounds like it's fine. If it ever goes bad, Bulletproof Diesel makes a super nice oil cooler kit with a larger cooler if you don't want another OEM.

If your water pump ever goes bad BPD also makes a nice billet unit.

Radiators are known to leak on 6.4's. The OEM radiators seem to do well as long as the front mount body bushings are in good shape. Keep an eye on those, its always good to check and replace those if needed when/if the cab comes off.

No Limit Intake is a great intake, I would remove the EGR completely like everyone has recommended. Make sure to get good tunes from whoever you choose, Ghead is a popular option among lots of people, but there are many to choose from. Good tuning can really wake your truck up and keep it running much better and help it live longer.

If you ever decide to add power and make over 550hp-600hp, to be safe, headstuds (o-ringing the heads while they are off would be a good idea too if you ask me) and a built transmission are key in making your truck last. Upgraded pistons and valvetrain at that point are a good idea as well but I understand people have budgets when they do this but I thought I should just point this out.

Sorry for the long post but in basic stock form or tuned/dleted those are the main problems I can think of on a 6.4 to address or keep an eye on as the miles keep racking up. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Members online