New truck dilema, Ram vs. Ford

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
Guess I'm lucky. I've had zero issues with mine. Deleted it early, aftermarket turbo, lift pump, good tuning will hold everything together.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I see a lot of false theories in this thread. LOL..

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Beauty... Ford.
Work.... Dodge.

I owned a tuned deleted 09.5 3500 head studded it day 10. Used it like a Work truck for 75,000 trouble free miles. It did not rattle shake bang let me down for 3 yrs. Used in the oil field to boot. Nothing easy on the truck with that.

Let me take you to about 3 CAT dealerships that have told ford goodbye and purchased all dodges. And rightfully so.... The oilfield industry HATES Ford right now. Mainly all cab chassis.

I can show you how many f550 's with 6.7L that have had multiple engines from ONE dealership. HOLT Cat to name one.

Riggs Cat did something smart. They tried two I think it was and laughed and bought all dodge 5500's.

Mahdeys

Reaction score
Can the 2015's even be deleted anymore? I've never had to worry about that as my last real pickup trucks were an 06 cummins and an 08 KR I deleted before the EPA got all retarded.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It's all in the works... for an off road product. Which is not eve legal to say anymore because the off road machines are now held to the same standards as on Highway

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Do your research on both...buy what YOU want. They both will have issues. People will bring up horror stories. In the long run its your truck. Not ours. We made our choices and we are happy with the choice we made. I love Ford. Tried Dodge in 08...traded it in 09. Know a family that has run nothing but Dodge CTD trucks for the last 9 years...they have a 95 Powerstroke as their "ole reliable backup truck". You pick what you will be happy paying for...and what won't piss your wife off too much either haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mahdeys

Reaction score
Do your research on both...buy what YOU want. They both will have issues. People will bring up horror stories. In the long run its your truck. Not ours. We made our choices and we are happy with the choice we made. I love Ford. Tried Dodge in 08...traded it in 09. Know a family that has run nothing but Dodge CTD trucks for the last 9 years...they have a 95 Powerstroke as their "ole reliable backup truck". You pick what you will be happy paying for...and what won't piss your wife off too much either haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You have a point. Just trying to make the most informed decision that I can on this big of a purchase. I've researched the heck out of the Ford and it seems most issues were with the 2011 and 2012 trucks.

neverkickn

Reaction score

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Beauty... Ford.
Work.... Dodge.

I owned a tuned deleted 09.5 3500 head studded it day 10. Used it like a Work truck for 75,000 trouble free miles. It did not rattle shake bang let me down for 3 yrs. Used in the oil field to boot. Nothing easy on the truck with that.

Let me take you to about 3 CAT dealerships that have told ford goodbye and purchased all dodges. And rightfully so.... The oilfield industry HATES Ford right now. Mainly all cab chassis.

I can show you how many f550 's with 6.7L that have had multiple engines from ONE dealership. HOLT Cat to name one.

Riggs Cat did something smart. They tried two I think it was and laughed and bought all dodge 5500's.

You wouldn't happen to drive a Riggs service truck would you?

Lysons

Reaction score
You're on a FORD POWER STROKE FORUM, chances are that majority of the people here are going to say Ford.
I would say get the Ford mostly because I bleed blue, but I also prefer Fords because I do not fit in the cab of a Dodge. (I'm 6'5 and the roof is too damn low in a Dodge.)

Another way to decide what you really want is to flip a coin.
Heads Ford and tails Dodge.
If you land tails and find that you're kind of let down, then you know you wanted the Ford.
And vice-versa.

BK39

Reaction score
Is the ford $9-12k (depending on option for the f-350) better than the Ram?

I'm a diehard ford guy. But for that kind of price difference....and if I were on the fence about it.......I'd have to drive both and think really hard about it.

Duckdawg

Reaction score

The oilfield industry HATES Ford right now. s.

That's the first time I've ever heard that, take a drive around south or west Texas and tell me what kind of trucks you see, schlumberger all ford, weatherford all ford, Halliburton all ford.

Even most if the small companies don't run anything but super duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoalwater

Reaction score
^^^^^
Have to agree with this, you see way more Fords than any other. That being said we have Ford, Dodge, and Chevy, and we have problems with all of them, all the time. As much as I hate to admit it, the Chevys have givin us the least amount of problems. Of course this might be more to do with the idiots we have behind the wheel than anything else. I swear they can tear up an anvil.

Brooksy

Reaction score
I went ford because that's what I always have owned. But the 10k extra I paid for the ford I saved because I got 0% on the ford and the dodge was 8+%. Both great trucks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jarrod B

Reaction score
That's the first time I've ever heard that, take a drive around south or west Texas and tell me what kind of trucks you see, schlumberger all ford, weatherford all ford, Halliburton all ford.

This is correct. I work in the oilfield as well and can back up that statement with those companies.

I have a Chevy tho for my work truck and at 16k I've already had to do some repairs.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

True. That's why they hate them. Schlumberger and hally have a buy contract with ford. Those are fleet vehicles. Lease programs. Schul is filling in alot of new dodges now and so is hally.

Shop queens again. All over again. I do drive around those parts and have seen them. It's true. Ford does dominate the market in those areas for sure. Weatherford is also filtering in quite a few dodges now as well as leases expire.

Also IF the said companies are keeping the Fords they are all switching to the gas engine to boot... those have been problem free. Literally.

Duckdawg

Reaction score
I haven't seen it our yard is nothin but power strokes, in fact in 5 years of workin here I've never seen a dodge with slb on the door

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to drive a Riggs service truck would you?

Nope. I work with some of them fellas thou. The guys I know do have a slight issue with there service trucks being they weigh at gvrw almost maxed out without tools on board.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I haven't seen it our yard is nothin but power strokes, in fact in 5 years of workin here I've never seen a dodge with slb on the door

I've seen them central and north. Don't get me wrong. I bleed blue. There just terrible in the cab and chassis as I stated previously. As for a slumberhurt truck that is nothing more than a bit carrier and body mover. There less problematic. I'm talking about the "work" trucks which en tales all cab and chassis vehicles.

I own a 6.7L and do enjoy it. I'm just posting some truths from real work world scenarios from large corporations.

The dodge is a work truck. And does a good job at it. New ones that is. Especially from 09.5 and up.

Please don't take this as a bash ford fest. It's not. Schlumberger and hally don't make up all of the oil field. We're I'm currently employed it's all Fords. Just no more diesels. They were tired of the cost of maintenance and repairs. We have a huge fleet. All gas now. No more issues. Just a little lacking on power! Lol

Duckdawg

Reaction score
Lol I get what your saying but we haven't seen those issues out field mechanics all have super duties, idk what they weigh in at but it's gotta be pretty heavy with all the crap they carry

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Are you going to be leaving it stock or tuning it/deleting it? If you plan on keeping it stick you may want to look at both emissions systems and determine which will be the most reliable.

Just a thought,

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.