New turbo blowing white smoke? help me out please

goodie85

Reaction score
you plum it in to your intake boot... im guessing he has a boot that will fit over the pvc cap he used.... ive used my cousins a million times and should build my own.... anyway, when its on the intake and tightened down tight, put some air to it. doesnt need a lot just a few lbs will do... need to be in a quiet place also. some minor leaks are hard to find... thats when a spraybottle of dishsoap and water come in handy....

for the wastegate, there is a C clip on the end of the rod that you take off and can turn the end where the c clip is. its a pain in the arse btw! with my big hands im better off taking the turbo off to do that..

Alright well I'm off to the hardware store to get the supplies and build one. The wastegate I figured out now haha, Thank you all for the help and bearing with my newbie questions.

goodie85

Reaction score
one more quick question what do you guys recommend setting the wastegate to? I'm running stock sticks and i've read crank it all the way shut and I've heard crank it down then back it out 6 turns? what do you all recommend?

OSCS

Reaction score
Alright well I'm off to the hardware store to get the supplies and build one. The wastegate I figured out now haha, Thank you all for the help and bearing with my newbie questions.[/QUOTE

A bottle of soapy water is a must. I would reccomend spraying it around every clamp in the charge system and dont forget about the plenums.. they are weak and tend to warp and leak after your mess with them alot. Do you have the CCV mod done?

oh and no worries about asking noob questions.. you gotta learn somehow man.. hell i still ask stupid questions

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Alright well I'm off to the hardware store to get the supplies and build one. The wastegate I figured out now haha, Thank you all for the help and bearing with my newbie questions.[/QUOTE

A bottle of soapy water is a must. I would reccomend spraying it around every clamp in the charge system and dont forget about the plenums.. they are weak and tend to warp and leak after your mess with them alot. Do you have the CCV mod done?

oh and no worries about asking noob questions.. you gotta learn somehow man.. hell i still ask stupid questions

what he said!! we all started out the same way.

goodie85

Reaction score

Well I appreciate you guys bearing with it, and no I haven't done the ccv mod just because I heard the 38r doesn't really like it? I just finished making the boost leak tool but can check it till later I planned on using soapy water no matter what haaha but thanks. Once again I can't thank you guys enough I'd be so lost without the help

goodie85

Reaction score
you plum it in to your intake boot... im guessing he has a boot that will fit over the pvc cap he used.... ive used my cousins a million times and should build my own.... anyway, when its on the intake and tightened down tight, put some air to it. doesnt need a lot just a few lbs will do... need to be in a quiet place also. some minor leaks are hard to find... thats when a spraybottle of dishsoap and water come in handy....

for the wastegate, there is a C clip on the end of the rod that you take off and can turn the end where the c clip is. its a pain in the arse btw! with my big hands im better off taking the turbo off to do that..

does 3-5 psi sound ok to run the boost leak detector at?

DocBar

Reaction score
my 38r didnt like the ccv mod at all.... would smoke at idle.. badly at times.
How, exactly, did you do your CCV mod? I can't figure out how the turbo would not like it.

I'm trying to figure out if I can route mine safely to the exhaust system like we used to do with drag cars.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
does 3-5 psi sound ok to run the boost leak detector at?

as long as it doesnt blow off you can
put in as much as you want.

How, exactly, did you do your CCV mod? I can't figure out how the turbo would not like it.

I'm trying to figure out if I can route mine safely to the exhaust system like we used to do with drag cars.

straight down to the ground from the dog house, through a catch can and back to the intake, back and down behind the cab... none worked for me...

thought about that same thing to use the scavenge affect to draw it out too, but after running it down the side of the motor and it still not liking that i said piss in it and put it back to stock...

DocBar

Reaction score
as long as it doesnt blow off you can
put in as much as you want.

straight down to the ground from the dog house, through a catch can and back to the intake, back and down behind the cab... none worked for me...

thought about that same thing to use the scavenge affect to draw it out too, but after running it down the side of the motor and it still not liking that i said piss in it and put it back to stock...
I'm more worried about the Venturi effect sucking all the oil out. I've only done that on drag cars that didn't run on the street. I couldn't care less about how it might look after I route it. Form follows function and all that.

OSCS

Reaction score
If I was you I'd put the boost leak detector in front of the CCV by passing it completely.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Did it mess anything up or you just didn't like the oil vapor/smoke coming out of the line? I have mine ran out near the fuel tank and it smokes pretty constant. 38r on mine too

i ment it smoked out the exhaust, as in it pressured up
and pushed some oil past the turbo seals...

Was it constricted in any way? If it was constricted it will build pressure in the motor and put more pressure on the turbo seals.
no not restricted at all. went from the dog house down to the ground. and yes it put pressure on the seals hence the smoke out the exhaust.

I'm more worried about the Venturi effect sucking all the oil out. I've only done that on drag cars that didn't run on the street. I couldn't care less about how it might look after I route it. Form follows function and all that.

you really think oil is going to flow up into and out of the ccv doghouse?

If I was you I'd put the boost leak detector in front of the CCV by passing it completely.
or just plug the hole where the ccv runs to the intake boot... 12ga shell works perfectly.

DocBar

Reaction score
i ment it smoked out the exhaust, as in it pressured up
and pushed some oil past the turbo seals...

no not restricted at all. went from the dog house down to the ground. and yes it put pressure on the seals hence the smoke out the exhaust.

you really think oil is going to flow up into and out of the ccv doghouse?

or just plug the hole where the ccv runs to the intake boot... 12ga shell works perfectly.
The vacuum created by the exhaust will tend to draw out motor oil. I never ran a drag car gasser enough to really see if this is an effect, but it's one I'm worried about.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The vacuum created by the exhaust will tend to draw out motor oil. I never ran a drag car gasser enough to really see if this is an effect, but it's one I'm worried about.

got ya! i couldn't see the oil getting that high in the valve covers, or even running enough rpm's to pull ccp that hard... maybe on a 6-9k rpm drag motor but not ours.. but i understand what your saying.

goodie85

Reaction score
Well I found the boost leak.....somehow I managed to crack the intake manifold, I couldn't find a stock one unless it was on ebay and im not a fan of buying off there. So I bought a glorified one CFM+....... I know I know, "why'd you waste your money" and all that jazz but oh well it's something I need and hopefully it works just as good also I'll be able to put my boost fooler in the map line and have the boost gauge in the intake manifold now(without drilling and tapping). My next parts I buy though will be dieselsites boots because I noticed my plenum boots are getting a little tired. Also as for the ccv when I did the boost leak test I never plugged it, is this a problem?

Latest posts

Members online