New Wheel or New Turbo

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Ok...having trouble deciding which route to go with my setup. I currently have an extended tip 63/68/.83 as the high pressure unit. No real complaints with it but just want to change it up some. Now my buddy Matt (CED) really thinks I should just sell the 63 and put a 62 FMW on top. At first that was a no brainer for me but then I talked to a couple big turbo shops and they said they didn't think it would be much of a difference at all between my cast 63 and the 62 FMW. Boost Lab then told me that they have a brand new billet 63 wheel that they could put on my unit (mounted and balanced) for $350 AND it would flow 20-25% more than the cast 63 wheel.

SO...sell the 63, put on the 62 FMW that would probably spool a little faster but flow roughly the same as my cast 63 and likely pocket a couple hundred bucks

OR

Spend $350 to swap out the billet 63 wheel and pick up top end flow. Might spool faster than my current unit???

I already know Matt's opinion LOL

Ivan? Moroni? Mikey? Morgan? anyone else that actually knows something about turbos??

Last edited:

motoxracer42

Reaction score
my opinion is to keep the wheel you have. its not going to be worth the extra money. wait a few weeks. garrett is releasing the 3788 in a gtx. I would imagine the pmax will follow as well, not that it relates to you

windrunner408

Reaction score
...garrett is releasing the 3788 in a gtx...

Was always curious why Garrett never had any GT37 or 40 series turbos offered in the GTX style. A GTX3788 sounds promising...

Not sure who makes your wheel in Japan, but as Maroni alluded to, I would stay away from the chinese/malaysian wheels...

I would recommend to either keep your turbo as is or just get a wheel instead of a whole new turbo.

MorganY

Reaction score
Ok...having trouble deciding which route to go with my setup. I currently have an extended tip 63/68/.83 as the high pressure unit. No real complaints with it but just want to change it up some. Now my buddy Matt (CED) really thinks I should just sell the 63 and put a 62 FMW on top. At first that was a no brainer for me but then I talked to a couple big turbo shops and they said they didn't think it would be much of a difference at all between my cast 63 and the 62 FMW. Boost Lab then told me that they have a brand new billet 63 wheel that they could put on my unit (mounted and balanced) for $350 AND it would flow 20-25% more than the cast 63 wheel.

SO...sell the 63, put on the 62 FMW that would probably spool a little faster but flow roughly the same as my cast 63 and likely pocket a couple hundred bucks

OR

Spend $350 to swap out the billet 63 wheel and pick up top end flow. Might spool faster than my current unit???

I already know Matt's opinion LOL

Ivan? Moroni? Mikey? Morgan? anyone else that actually knows something about turbos??

If you have to sacrifice something, would you want driveability over an actual performance upgrade or vice versa?

You are still sporting the 80mm right? Your truck spools well now, maybe something around a billet 64mm drop in (balanced and machined) if available and cost effective. Otherwise a whole new charger in the 64 compressor range is what I would look at; playing with the turbine options on both chargers can cover some ground if you don't want to go that size on the high pressure especially if you have a 1.32 on the 80.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
makes sense Morgan...ideally a new billet 64 would be nice but but would be $$. that's the whole reason I'm wondering if the billet 63 wheel upgrade for only $350 would still get me a bump in both driveability and performance that would be worthwhile. the 64.5 FMW is another option but availability is an issue...AND the only thing I for sure don't want to loose is any spool time which is why I hesitate to going any bigger than the 63.

the 64.5 FMW is another option but availability is an issue.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
makes sense Morgan...ideally a new billet 64 would be nice but but would be $$. that's the whole reason I'm wondering if the billet 63 wheel upgrade for only $350 would still get me a bump in both driveability and performance that would be worthwhile. the 64.5 FMW is another option but availability is an issue...AND the only thing I for sure don't want to loose is any spool time which is why I hesitate to going any bigger than the 63.

the 64.5 FMW is another option but availability is an issue.

the 64.5 FMW will probably spool faster than the cast 63 honestly, but availability is kind of an issue, plus theyre only available in a 90* hose outlet or a v-band 2nd gen cummins style and a custom machined outlet adapter is needed. But they are pretty expensive. I'd listen to matt and go with the 62, the cheap-o billet wheels aren't worth the money what so ever.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
But they are pretty expensive. I'd listen to matt and go with the 62, the cheap-o billet wheels aren't worth the money what so ever.

well that's what I was going to do but then I was told by HTT and BoostLab that it would still not flow as much as the cast 63. If I had a driveability (spool) issue with the 63, it would be a no brainer but the 63 spools fine.

I thought I read somewhere that Fleece has a billet 63 wheel. I could look into that as well...

windrunner408

Reaction score
...the cheap-o billet wheels aren't worth the money what so ever.

FWIW, not all billet/forged milled wheels (like the FMW and GTX) wheels are created equal. Hence why I wouldn't rely on the fact that even though the 64.5 FMW is not a cast wheel, I wouldn't bet on it spooling faster than your 63. It might spool relatively as quick but I'm pretty confident it won't be faster. Of course, it's all conjecture at this point too...

Depending on the wheel you're looking at Lance, it could very well prove to be a decent upgrade in yielding more top end flow and still retaining/improving bottom end response. As with everything it seems, a lot of factors go into play here other than just saying billet wheels are this or that...

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Well I got off the phone with one of the Fleece guys he said I would get much more bang for my buck by tweaking the low-pressure turbo. Going to a billet 7 blade wheel on my 80 would do more for drivability and power vs tweaking the high pressure.

MorganY

Reaction score
Well I got off the phone with one of the Fleece guys he said I would get much more bang for my buck by tweaking the low-pressure turbo. Going to a billet 7 blade wheel on my 80 would do more for drivability and power vs tweaking the high pressure.

Nice. What housing do you have on it again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

BlueWaffle

Reaction score

Can anyone else speak to that?

motoxracer42

Reaction score
whats the weight difference on the 62fmw and the 63 cast. if a wheel is grabbing more air, you would think by the laws of physics that spool up will suffer as it considered resistance. does a 62fwm spool quicker than a cast? I like the wheel, but cast has never let me down.
as far as garrett, the 4088 will be released very soon in a gtx and the 37 should follow. gtx spools a little slower than the gt-r version but they flow well. I would imagine that the borg is in the same boat. honestly, its not worth the money. when your comparing your turbo to matts and I know you have, are you running the exact same tune/ injectors/ nozzles/ and so on. any boost or drive leaks? elevation differences? there are a million factors that come into play. the real queston is are you getting that itch to change something. are you going to be disappointed if let down?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
whats the weight difference on the 62fmw and the 63 cast. if a wheel is grabbing more air, you would think by the laws of physics that spool up will suffer as it considered resistance. does a 62fwm spool quicker than a cast? I like the wheel, but cast has never let me down.
as far as garrett, the 4088 will be released very soon in a gtx and the 37 should follow. gtx spools a little slower than the gt-r version but they flow well. I would imagine that the borg is in the same boat. honestly, its not worth the money. when your comparing your turbo to matts and I know you have, are you running the exact same tune/ injectors/ nozzles/ and so on. any boost or drive leaks? elevation differences? there are a million factors that come into play. the real queston is are you getting that itch to change something. are you going to be disappointed if let down?

I agree with all that...that's why the Fleece guy suggested tweaking the lp instead since there is so little difference to be had by changing wheels or turbos on the hp side...

windrunner408

Reaction score

I won't say that I really agree or disagree as I can kind of see both sides (since in reality it is a guess and would be determined by what/whose compressor wheel you would stick in there and I think we all agree that not all billet compressor wheels are created equal).

My initial inclination would be that by going with a more efficient HP turbo compressor wheel, you would see more gain down low because that turbo is going have a better chance (IMO) at gaining compressor efficiency under the conditions in which it would be operating where it would seem to me that no matter what wheel you put on a 480, you wouldn't get a noticeable gain in compressor efficiency especially since it takes about a 1.5-1.8:1 pressure ratio to really land on the compressor map of the 480. Again, just food for thought.

whats the weight difference on the 62fmw and the 63 cast. if a wheel is grabbing more air, you would think by the laws of physics that spool up will suffer as it considered resistance. does a 62fwm spool quicker than a cast?...there are a million factors that come into play. the real queston is are you getting that itch to change something. are you going to be disappointed if let down?

I would imagine that the 62 FMW weighs really close to what the 63 cast weighs (at least within 10 grams or so) and in comparison to the weight/mass of the turbine wheel, I wouldn't expect the weight difference to be the reason one spools quicker over the other. In terms of blade surface area, I'm sure the 62 FMW has just as much if not more blade surface area than the 63 cast wheel, but I would still be inclined to think that if the 62 spooled quicker than the 63, it would be due to the fact that the overall size of the wheel is smaller and therefore requires less rotational force to spin it (i.e. 61.4x84 vs 63x88).

Yep there are a million factors involved too and the last two questions are probably the most important ones, because it is really gonna come down to trying something out to no kidding see what does what... Oh the wonderful world of "aftermarket performance'...LOL LOL

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I just know lance says his spools at 1800ish and makes 3-5ish at 75mph I spool at 1550 amd make 6-8 at 75 with compounds (83mm lp) and 5psi with the FMW 62. If lance didn't hate changing turbos so much I would send him one I have setting here to just see. LOL

Latest posts

Members online