Newbie looking for advice on 6.4L / Virginia

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Gents,

New to the diesel side, and the Northern Virginia area. Leesburg /Haymarket / Warrenton
Found me a sweet 08 King Ranch with 100k that I picked up for reasonable price.

Looking for recommendations on, not only the parts I'd need, but more importantly a reputable performance shop within a couple hundred miles to make this thing stout for years to come. You know, people that stand by their work. I'm a perfectionist and don't mind paying a premium for the guys that treat her like it's their own. Paying attention to detail and doing what's right, the first time.

I want this thing to be a sleeper that will get it done but reliable as a daily driver. Minimal towing (small boat).

Goals:
Sleeper that gets it done (wow factor)
Highway mpg's
Reliability as daily driver
Lasts for years to come

Currently have:
Full delete
Livewire TS tuner
S & B intake/ filter (not a fan)

Ideas:
Head studs
No Limit intake and plumbing
Mishimoto CAC & Rad (stocks r shot)
New exhaust and all that entails
Upgraded turbos (necessary?)
Staged tuning (tow, hwy. track)

Next year is tranny work and lift/level kit with 35's

Budget this year is 8-10k, as long as it's justified. Would like to take advantage of having the cab off for head studs to do all major work simultaneously.

Thanks in advance!!

Feel free to reach out to me
607-232-2888

-Christian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
I'm not sure how far rudys is from you but they're a stand up shop on the east coast.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Build list looks good man. I am bias , but you should be very pleased with the end result. Is skip the ic and the radiator as that money is better spent on a trans and converter. Let me know when you're ready and I'll get you squared away.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Build list looks good man. I am bias , but you should be very pleased with the end result. Is skip the ic and the radiator as that money is better spent on a trans and converter. Let me know when you're ready and I'll get you squared away.

He said his are shot... seems like a good time to upgrade to me if stock parts failed, no?

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score

Can you get trans parts from tcs?

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Yeah... Rad is shot. Stock ones I hear are garbage and frequently fail, as is the story with mine leaking. IC is just torn up from hwy debris and looks like garbage. More a cosmetic thing with that. I'm anal I suppose.
Tough can be pretty too :)

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Yeah... Rad is shot. Stock ones I hear are garbage and frequently fail, as is the story with mine leaking. IC is just torn up from hwy debris and looks like garbage. More a cosmetic thing with that. I'm anal I suppose.
Tough can be pretty too :)

My IC was shot too...poured water out of it when i removed it for my build lol you'll be very happy with the mishimoto intercooler thats what i went with and its a nice piece, cant beat the price and lifetime warranty :thumbup: Alradco also has a nice radiator coming out and intercooler soon too i think

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Check out alradco , Peter is active here and very supportive of the site.

johnp115

Reaction score
35's and wanting better mpgs are two different things.
id add/look into
6.0 manifolds, Custom uppipes, waste gate, CCV, pushrods, valvesprings, definitely custom tuning, LP fuel system

B585Ford

Reaction score
I would definitely do lifters and rockers if you are pulling the heads...just cheap insurance. The rest of the valvetrain being upgraded at least IMO is dependent on how much powa you want. If you stay with stock fuel/stock turbos, I don't think it would be a necessity. I would definitely do an exh manny and custom up pipes cause your factory up pipes will most likely fail eventually. I also agree a LP fuel system is a very good idea (either the 1-1000 or Fuel Lab). Turbos...the stockers tend to hold up well so it really depends on what your goals are, but if you can swing it, an atmo upgrade is one of the best bangs for the buck in performance at this stage...a 71, 72, 73, or even a 75 or 76 are good choices depending on your goals.
Now the bad news....pistons. Although some live a long life, there are definitely a lot of cracked pistons out there and IMO, it is hard to call a tuned 6.4 reliable without them. Price was they aint too bad, but with labor they get pretty expensive. I know it can be hard to justify the expense when you aren't having problems so that is a tough one.
As to where to go...I have first experience with Holder's and I highly recommend them. My truck is there now for Round 2 of upgrades. Based on your location, they are about 4 to 4.5 hrs away. As everyone said, MPD would be closer and they have a great reputation...I just don't have any first experience with them, but for me (if I was in your location), 1 of those 2 would be my pick.

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Lots of great advise guys. Thanks!
I've decided on MPD as the staff there seem to share my belief on doing chit right the first time. Truck goes in Monday. I'm stoked, to say the least.

Build includes:
Head Studs
Mishimoto RAD
Mishimoto CAC
High Tech compound turbo's
Flo Pro 5" turbo back exhaust
No Limit intake and plumbing
Gearhead tunes
Machining heads
Oil cooler
All the little things (orings, filters etc)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.