nitrous.who has experience?

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I got an early 99 powerstroke and I'm purchasing a ZEX nitrous kit for cheap from a friend. I have stock injectors,riff raff fprx, hpx, gillette 91mm exducer upgraded turbo (stock housings) T500 hpop, AFE stage 2, AEM water meth (switching to snow performance stage 2), Dp tuner with 60 tow, 100, 120, 140 agressive, 140 extreme. (transmission is in the process of getting suncoast rebuild, sonnax sure cure, cryogenically treated shafts) I was wondering about what size nozzle I should run and if anyone here has experience in running a nitrous on 7.3 powerstroke. my goal is 500 rwhp on stock injectors with a combination of Dp tuner tuning, water meth, and nitrous.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I got an early 99 powerstroke and I'm purchasing a ZEX nitrous kit for cheap from a friend. I have stock injectors,riff raff fprx, hpx, gillette 91mm exducer upgraded turbo (stock housings) T500 hpop, AFE stage 2, AEM water meth (switching to snow performance stage 2), Dp tuner with 60 tow, 100, 120, 140 agressive, 140 extreme. (transmission is in the process of getting suncoast rebuild, sonnax sure cure, cryogenically treated shafts) I was wondering about what size nozzle I should run and if anyone here has experience in running a nitrous on 7.3 powerstroke. my goal is 500 rwhp on stock injectors with a combination of Dp tuner tuning, water meth, and nitrous.

Good luck...

Southmike

Reaction score
maybe danny has some idea...though he never had stock injectors iirc.
he is prob up in 6.0 land

500 would require a pretty healthy shot of nos though i would think...

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Idk 7.3's but do those injectors flow enough fuel to be burnt to get anywhere near 500 stock?

A lot of people think ill put nitrous on it and get more power...all nitrous does is add extra air to the combustion event to burn the extra fuel that you have...the reason they call it turbo in a bottle

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
thanks for the support....

No offense but that will take a very healthy shot. I only say good luck because it took me 3 sbc motors to find out a set up that works.

Also our little 120cc(?) Abs don't give you that much fuel. I can see 400 but 500 you'll be asking for problems imo

imelmo

Reaction score
You won't get 500 on stock injectors; closer to around 400ish like stated previously. I'd start with about a .040 jet and just work your way up from there. When the jet is too big it will actually slow the truck down, so you just go back a size or 2 down from there.

smorris

Reaction score
Head studs?? I see this not going as planned. Why even try on stock injectors? IMO... Waste of time and money
bWAHAHAHAH... Why you say that? Nitrous never broke nothing.
Joking man......What they allready said!
1-- you dont have enough fuel
2--No head studs, even though I did it without them for a while
3--you just dont have enough fuel!

Use that money for some studs, gauges and stuff first.
Then get some injectors. Much more power, last lots longer, and its always there. Not just when the bottle is full, and turned on.

Like was already pointed out, nitrous just brings more oxygen to the party. If theres no fuel to burn , it does exactly nothing. Dont get me wrong, it WILL make more power with what you already have, but nowhere near as much as it could if you had fuel already unburnt.(lots of smoke) Problem with using stock injectors and nitrous is that you WILL have fuel in the lower rpm's, the nitrous WILL make it burn, adding tons of cylinder pressure down low. But up in the higher rpm's it wont help you out much, cause you're already burning most of what you have there.
A bunch of cylinder pressure down low WILL break parts on a stock motor.
But heck, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that gets away with it for a few years. Maybe not.

imelmo

Reaction score
Iirc, theSLEEPER thru some nitrous in his stock injectored truck and saw less than stellar results. Might try sending him a pm. I wanna say it ran a high 14 or something.

For the record though, my 6.0 went 12.5's with nitrous and just tuner/intake/exhaust. :D

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I know how nitrous works. Thats why I was thinking about using water meth with it and see if they complement each other.I was thinking of having Jody run a custom 140 tune where he'll add more fuel (for the nitrous) lower the timing (due to the methanol) and Only use this setup in the high rpms. I'm hoping maybe this setup will get me in the low 14s.... The reason why I want to do nitrous on stock injectors is because not alot of people do it. I just think it would be cool to say that on a dyno I made 500hp at the wheels on a 7.3 powerstroke with stock injectors.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I've seen a few dyno results of 7.3 powerstrokes that were live tuned on a dyno with stock injectors, modded 17 hpop, intake, and exhaust put down 340 rwhp but I'm thinking that was with (140cc) AD injectors. Rosewood diesel said even though ABs were advertised at flowing 120cc he usually sees them flow around 130-135cc worth of fuel.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Read smoris's post over again. A stock injector is only going to flow so much fuel. And adding water/Meth isn't going to help anything, just throw another variable in the equation for something to break. Ill say it again, a stock AB injector is NOT going to flow enough fuel for the nitrous or water kit to help at all in the higher RPM band, it anything it will hurt performance. Think back to what Elmo said, to much nitrous hurts power. Nitrous is only effective when there is fuel there, and on a stock injector....... The fuel will not be there

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well.....maybe it could. Im just spitballin here. Could he put nos on it and rig it to a button and use it in certain points of the powerband for a faster track time? Did i say that to where it makes sense?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Well.....maybe it could. Im just spitballin here. Could he put nos on it and rig it to a button and use it in certain points of the powerband for a faster track time? Did i say that to where it makes sense?

if the fuel isnt there it isnt there...you can spray it as much as you want

but once you jump to a jet that is to big it will actually slow the truck down...then you back it down a jet size or 2 and thats as much nitrous as you can use for the amount of fuel that your injectors can flow

the nitrous will help track times for sure...but the HP that the OP is looking for, i doubt will happen with the fuel that is given

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im saying at spray at points where the fuel is there. Like launch to almost wot.

Latest posts

Members online