nitrous.who has experience?

Austin

Reaction score
A well tuned truck with a good HPOP, not really.

I'm with everyone else, get a set of injectors.

smorris

Reaction score
Well, with the addition of water meth, your really asking for trouble. Problem there is, its added through the air intake. Meaning the meth will be in the cylinder before you start the compression stroke. Meaning, it will light off whenever you get enough heat in there. Throw some nitrous in the mix, and if theres enough heat, you get WAYYYY advanced ignition of that mixture. Diesels control the timing by controlling when the fuel is put in. With the introduction of the methanol in the air, its there from the start, and you have no control over when it lights off. And the extra oxygen from the nitrous makes it burn really fast once it does light off.
Ever heard of how bad detonation is for an engine?
Well, this is more like pre-ignition. Its 100 times worse than detonation.
You get cylinder pressure spikes while the piston is coming up, and it tries to shove the piston back down. Very hard on parts.

Dont get me wrong, water meth is great stuff.
Nitrous is too. If it all works together.
And with no more fuel than your gonna have, its still not gonna make 500 hp.
Most likely gonna end up with some broke rods.
Use the nitrous, without the meth.
Do it like Danny said. Start small work your way up, and dont hit it below maybe 2,000 rpm.
I use water/ meth, I also use nitrous, but be safe. Its not worth bragging rights if you cant drive it home when ya get done. Also, if you use both together, be careful where you inject. As you know nitrous is very cold when injected. Water has this thing about freezing below 32...lol
Dont try to spray them too close together or you might end up with a ice ball going through there.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Saving your pennis for injectors and other supporting parts gets my vote. Scott, Scotty, and Danny pretty much said it all. Its up to the OP if he wants to take the advice or not, I guess

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
thanks for the advice everyone. You've given me alot to think about and consider. I will be adding injectors in the future either stage 2s or hybrids. But I still want to try nitrous with stock injectors in safe amounts and see how far I get and hopefully run in the mid to low 14s. I do know that by talking to a few dyno operators that they've seen a few trucks who lowered the timing and ran 75% methanol (risky I know) that they saw close to 100 rwhp gain but made the motor run hotte,r but when nitrous was added it cooled the egts and added more power.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Good luck with what your trying to do. But from that last sentence ... you don't take advice or listen very well...... I honestly hope you put studs in this motor before trying this. Like Scott said, cylinder pressure is not your friend.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I understand how cylinder pressure works and what you guys are saying. You think there is no point in spraying nitrous in the upper rpms because there isn't enough fuel and the only place i can use it is down low. And then if I use it in the lower rpms due to high cylinder pressure I can either brake a rod or lift a my heads.

Arisley

Reaction score
I understand how cylinder pressure works and what you guys are saying. You think there is no point in spraying nitrous in the upper rpms because there isn't enough fuel and the only place i can use it is down low. And then if I use it in the lower rpms due to high cylinder pressure I can either brake a rod or lift a my heads.

Dammit, you really are paying attention. You pretty much have it exactly right.

Upgrade in steps, steps taken in the right order. There is usually a pretty good reason to not go and try to reinvent the wheel. Those that have gone before us have done it, and some of them have the broken motor parts to prove it. Listen to the wisdom they are handing out for free. It cost them a lot to learn about it.

mallardslayer07

Reaction score
I'm with Arisley. Take the advice and listen to what's being said. Basically they are saying, S*** don't work that way.....unfortunately. So as Arisley is saying save your money buy some fuel, studs, and go fast parts and do it in the right order. Things always turn out better when done in the right order. BUT.........if you decide to get antsy and have an urge to make history.....for the LOVE OF GOD TAKE VIDEO!!!!!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Andy and I will watch!

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It will work put a 150hp jet in. These guys just dont know anything about making power, im with ya buddy. Spray that piece till the cows comee home. :thumbup:

Arisley

Reaction score
Tony Wildman told me, You can do all your upgrades at once and have one big grin. Or do them one step at a time and have a whole bunch of big grins. I went the whole bunch of big grin route. I would do it all over again in the same way.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I got an early 99 powerstroke and I'm purchasing a ZEX nitrous kit for cheap from a friend. I have stock injectors,riff raff fprx, hpx, gillette 91mm exducer upgraded turbo (stock housings) T500 hpop, AFE stage 2, AEM water meth (switching to snow performance stage 2), Dp tuner with 60 tow, 100, 120, 140 agressive, 140 extreme. (transmission is in the process of getting suncoast rebuild, sonnax sure cure, cryogenically treated shafts) I was wondering about what size nozzle I should run and if anyone here has experience in running a nitrous on 7.3 powerstroke. my goal is 500 rwhp on stock injectors with a combination of Dp tuner tuning, water meth, and nitrous.

You might need to add a healthy dose of propane into the mix also.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.