No pressure???boost???

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I just did an egr delete from sinister diesel. It came with a new up pipe. Just got done and had a big exhaust leak. Can't find out where it's comin from. I checked the up pipe and no leak there. The only thing I can think of is the clamp on the y-pipe to the turbo isn't closed enough and/or the bolts on the driver side exhaust are loose. Could leaking exhaust in those places make it wear the turbo can't make boost or make the truck underpowered? It doesn't make that swoosh sound a couple seconds afte start up.

DirtySouthDiesel

Reaction score
I just did an egr delete from sinister diesel. It came with a new up pipe. Just got done and had a big exhaust leak. Can't find out where it's comin from. I checked the up pipe and no leak there. The only thing I can think of is the clamp on the y-pipe to the turbo isn't closed enough and/or the bolts on the driver side exhaust are loose. Could leaking exhaust in those places make it wear the turbo can't make boost or make the truck underpowered? It doesn't make that swoosh sound a couple seconds afte start up.

check the y-pipe where it connects to the turbo... usually when I do them I use the bolts on both sides of the manifold very loose and then make sure the turbo and y-pipe connections are seating right around the clamp.. tighten clamp then manifold bolts

or it could be a cracked up-pipe in the flex joint

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
It's a brand new uppie lol. It shouldn't be cracked. Do y'all have any ways to get to the driver side manifold bolts. For some reason ford made that a really tight spot where you can't get a socket or wrench up there to hold the bolt

DirtySouthDiesel

Reaction score
It's a brand new uppie lol. It shouldn't be cracked. Do y'all have any ways to get to the driver side manifold bolts. For some reason ford made that a really tight spot where you can't get a socket or wrench up there to hold the bolt

I usually get them the top one from the top side and the bottom one underneath the truck... I use a regular 10mm wrench and a shallow 13mm socket... they still have a flex joint on the driver side

ghohouston

Reaction score
Wait, why on earth did you even mess with the exhaust manifolds??? Unless you mean the 2 bolts on each side connecting the up pipes. I always use a 13mm socket on a 1/4 inch ratchet and a 10mm wrench, or flipped around with a 10mm socket and a 13mm wrench. All is done under truck

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ok re clamped the y-pipe to the turbo. I'm making 5lb of boost now. Still have a loud hissing coming from the turbo itself. Truck is still really underpowered. This is day number 4 workin on the truck.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Its not the clamp, its how the y pipe mates up to the turbo, its not hard to **** up. Pull the clamp off, get a mirror and flashlight and look all the way around the clamp, its probably not mated, of you didnt get the up pipe bolts to the manifolds tight enough

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
This is becoming a pain. I'm bout to the point to say fk it. Tired, wore out. It's about to go back to the dealer. Why does it have to be this big of a problem. I'm gonna try one more time but with some prying on the y-pipe. If that don't work I give up

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
you need to loosen the clamp from the turbo then tighten the manifold bolts first. then go back) and clamp the uppipes ontoo the turbo. you're going to need slack in the Y pipe in order to get it to make to the manifold properly before you bolt it down.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Manifold bolts are bolted down. Gonna loosin all clamps and pass side Manifold bolts to uppie.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ok got the hissing To go away. The y-pipe is flush with the turbo. Now it has 10lb of boost, under normal load driving its fine, but when I punch it it acts like its in limp mode and won't go any faster. Could that be because of the egr delete? There is no mil light on. Haven't Checked to see if there is a ghost code though.

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
Still have a boost leak....

Your y-pipe might be busted if you are for sure the flanges are mated correctly and tight.

I just went through this. I probably had the turbo on and off 4-5 times before I realized my y-pipe bellows were crap.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Got it fixed. Hose for the map sensor wasn't the right size. Thanks to ghohouston. He's a smart cat. Knows what he's doin.

Latest posts

Members online