No start 06 6.0

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Well I hoped this day would never come but here it is...this morning 30* outside I turned the key let the glow plugs warm turned the truck over and it started right up but idled really choppy like it had a huge cam in it (it does this most cold mornings for about 10sec)..but before I could make it back in my house it died. So I tried to start it like 3 more times and all it would do is crank over it would start for maybe 1 sec then die. I read that most times it's fuel or oil pressure but since I'm in Germany I have to order everything I'm trying to narrow it down first!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
could be a number of things, if you can get a scanner on the truck and see if it has any codes, also see if you can check your FICM voltage and the ICP voltages, theres a thread here for what the ICP should be at, sure others will give you some other items to check, little vague of a description to narrow it down perfectly. Doing what i mentioned should give you some better information.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok thanks I checked the fuel bowl during my lunch break and it's full and when I turned the key on (not start just on) it overflowed. I'm going to test the FICM after work and if I can figure out how to test the icp I will test it to I can't seem to find instructions on how to test it.

G Racing

Reaction score
Yep, the best thing to do it to get a scanner so you can read icp. You will need more than 500 psi for it to start. It could be your hpop, a leak in the high pressure oil system, ipr, or the ficm.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
ok i checked the FICM its at 47.8V while cranking, unpluged the ICP sensor and it still wouldnt start (assuming I unplugged the correct sensor ). looked in the fuel bowl with the cap off and truck turning over and the bowl filled. Looked in the OIL FILTER BOWL with the plunger pushed down and the truck turning over and it DID NOT fill with oil so could this be where my problem

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
No there was no flow at all. It was completely empty but when I pulled the filter out it was dripping oil??

G Racing

Reaction score
Icp sensor is on the front of the passengers valve cover.

Does the engine oil gauge needle move while you are trying to start it, with the oil filter in?
You may have to spin the engine over for a bit for it to register.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
No the needle sets below the L line and never moves
The truck no longer even tries to start ether it just turns and turns

Last edited:

G Racing

Reaction score
I would venture to say that you have lost your low pressure oil pump. It is located behind the balancer on the front of the crankshaft.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok do I buy a whole pump or what needs to be replaced I'm not very familiar with the lpop ? How does something like this just happen overnight?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.