No start, out of the blue...

golfer

Reaction score
Mdub~

last time on the fuel issue...promise...

(just remembered) I spent about 4 days on the phone with a guy a month or two ago...filled up..drove the truck over 100miles...shut it down and never would restart...went through all this chit...fuel pressure, ICP, buzz test, cam signal, etc

had gasoline in the tank...dropped tank, purged lines, etc...refilled with fresh diesel..fired right off...

I'd never seen it before...but that truck went from SC to NC with a mix of diesel/gas...but wouldn't restart the next day. nevvvver he nor I really considered the fuel even though he filled up the prior day...as WHO would have thought that it would have gone 100mi and not restarted...

but..his 'fuel' would light off with a flame...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Again, wouldn't you think I'd be getting some smoke or stubbling from the exhaust while it was trying to re-ignite the diesel/gas mix?

It smelled like diesel when I pulled the filter, looked like diesel (though gas blended in might be hard to tell) and stained the driveway when I splattered it everywhere like an oil spill (like diesel does) and didn't evaporate...

Also when I did try to start it, it fired on a couple cylinders before going dead on me... I don't think it would have done so with gas!?

Also, thinking back about it, the last time I filled up my tank was really empty, like the fuel light was on, so if I put gas in, it would have been a much more immediate concern.

I really just think it's a SYNC issue here, and I don't think I'm going to get any farther without having AE with me or someone else near by come scan it. My software just isn't up to the task.

Have to go help my buddy with his 4.0 grand cherokee tonight, have to re-sync his camshaft position sensor. Hopefully get it fixed quick and home tonight to work on truck more!

Thanks for all the input, appreciate it, and you're making me think, which is good. Always good to have a fresh mind/set of eyes on something.

golfer

Reaction score
...thought you HAD ficm sync......asked that question pages ago.

wthell are you using that displays ICP, etc and can't show sync?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Palmer performance engineering software.

Ok so some new news, went out and shot some ether in it, truck fired right up and sat there and idled fine. Shut it off and it restarted again when i tried to restart.... Wtf

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah Ben Franklin and his stupid electricity can go fugg themselves in their stupid arses

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
seriously?

did you ever check out all grounds? Knocking something a millimeter could change everything, especially the shake of a diesel.

did it start today? LOL

Mdub707

Reaction score
Went out this morning, truck fired up fine again. Drove it 32 miles to work today, no issues. Greg, didn't touch anything man, hit it with ether and it's run ever since. I don't get it.

Seriously. I'm happy it's running again, but WTF!

I was humbled again this week and reminded once again, that I drive a 6.0.

This weekend, zero ***ks will be given, many beers will be consumed. Thanks everyone for the help, if anything else comes up I will let you all know.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
This weekend, zero ***ks will be given, many beers will be consumed. Thanks everyone for the help, if anything else comes up I will let you all know.

I like your attitude! This will be me next weekend when I get off weekend schedule at work and head back home for a few days. Trying to decide if I really want to mess with the egr and oil cooler knowing it could very well piss me off?

Mdub707

Reaction score
EGR and oil cooler aren't bad at all, just time consuming your first time. Have beers on hand and a buddy to help. I think the first time or two I did an EGR delete it took me like 12 hours haha. Though, beers were consumed, and I was taking my time to make sure nothing went wrong. Cleaning the intake manifold area up takes time too.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Went out this morning, truck fired up fine again. Drove it 32 miles to work today, no issues. Greg, didn't touch anything man, hit it with ether and it's run ever since. I don't get it.

Seriously. I'm happy it's running again, but WTF!

I was humbled again this week and reminded once again, that I drive a 6.0.

only honest way to do it...

and who knows, dont touch anything, hopefully it was just a fluke

Mdub707

Reaction score
I didn't touch anything the first time when it wouldn't start! hahaha.

Flukes scare me. I like known quantities.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
not that it matters but i was told never to spray ether in newer diesels? as bad things could happen

mortal798

Reaction score
Mike -- charge the batteries all the way before trying anything else. Remember my new alternator not charging fiasco? I threw the charger on the batteries until they were 100% charged and expected to continue troubleshooting later that day. Somehow everything started working again once the batteries were charged. I still have no explanation and I was seeing around 11.8v at the batteries before I charged.

Battery state of charge is critical for everything to work properly. Automotive batteries are 100% SOC at 12.6v. At 12.4v the SOC is only 75%, and it drops to 50% at 12.4v. Anything less than 12.2v and you can't expect anything to operate properly.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
ether is bad for all engines, even gassers.... You just have to know how to use it... we use it on almost everything

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yes, I made sure to leave the key on (forward) long enough that the glow plugs are OFF before starting to crank it. You don't want the glow plugs igniting the ether at the wrong time. Bad news bears.

He's right, it's bad for anything. I just used a small amount to get it ignited, and for whatever reason, unknown to most of us it seems, it worked.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Truck is still running like normal, probably put about 300 miles on since this happened...

I wish I had an answer to put here...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Im out camping this weekend, go to unhook camper from the truck this morning and wham, exact same thing just happened... Truck fired and died now no restart wtf