no-start - weird buzz test after injector swap (near KCMO)

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Driving back to camp from work Fri nite, the truck developed a miss. It ran rough and blew blue smoke, but made it in just fine. Normal ICP, etc and all other gauges looked fine - no SES lite. Hook up AE at camp and it passes buzz test, fails CCT on #2 (misfire code) and rotational veloctiy was 13.2% on #2.

A friend sent me an injector to get me home and I swapped it in this AM. While prying the old injector out with compromised tool selection - I broke the ICP sending unit...:eek:

I unplugged ICP and tried to start it. No start, block heater has been plugged in (its 45*) and there was PLENTY of time to build ICP. No codes except 'low ICP' and EBPV code (its gone).

It does not buzz #2, but buzzes softly on 1,3,5 & 7 when its supposed to buzz #2. All other buzzes sound good.

I'll have a new ICP sender, VC and UVCH tomorow AM - but worried that won't be the answer.............

Any ideas??? :shrug:

Oh, I'm almost an hour east of Kansas City - 1000mi from home.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!!

These were never unplugged during swap, but I have since unplugged VC and UVCH and there is continuity from VC to injector. All pins 'look good' including 42pin connector.

The batts finally died after the attempted cranking and buzz tests, etc. I'm gonna try a buzz test with #2 unplugged now that batts should be charged up again.

I have seen a similar issue with bad VC/UVCH, thats why I ordered them. :toast: I just have trouble understanding how it could have continuity, etc - but not BUZZ.

Can someone elaborate on what happens inside VC?? Is it true there is a 'shielding' wire or something that runs around perimeter of VC gasket? :shrug:

When this thing gets home, its getting 250/200's and a GTX 4294 before it leaves again. :toast: I just need to get it home right now!

Arisley

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a short somewhere in the wires, and voltage leaking to the other injectors. Not in a UVCH, it is happenning somewhere before that. #2 buzzing 1,3,5,7. Bet it is the common wire for injectors 1,3,5,7. Somewhere between the IDM and the 42 pin connector.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a short somewhere in the wires, and voltage leaking to the other injectors. Not in a UVCH, it is happenning somewhere before that. #2 buzzing 1,3,5,7. Bet it is the common wire for injectors 1,3,5,7. Somewhere between the IDM and the 42 pin connector.

Is there a separate common wire for each bank?

I just wonder why I'm having this issue after injector swap. The only plugs I unhooked were 42pin and #2 injector. :shrug:

There is some crusty old grease in the 42pin - this was the first time in 272k miles it has been unplugged. When I go to get parts this AM, I'll get a can of electrical cleaner and clean up the connectors. There is an aluminum-covered sheathe over the wires to 42pin where they generally rub VC and I've been looking for chaffed wires ANYWHERE.

Shouldn't I have something like +1v at the injector with KOEO? I haven't tried that yet, but maybe that doesn't exclude a short anyway...

Thanks for the help! :toast:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Its only raining sideways every once in a while today...
IMAG2408.jpg

IMAG2410.jpg

IMAG2412.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
I have a pin out for that 42 pin connector at home. I know from the connector to the UVCH there is a common wire, not sure if they are common to both sides or not. Hopefully the dirty connector is where the issue is. Which makes sense, because it happenned after it was disconnected. Good luck.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I may have found a smoking gun. There is a 'wet spot' in the 42pin connector. It would be wet with oil/diesel that squirted out when I turned the motor over with the injector out... :shrug:

Looking for a pin out diagram now, but its wet on the lower right quadrant of the connector.

The parts will be here after 1:00.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Dude, you need to find that bad ground in the injector circuit.
It does not buzz #2, but buzzes softly on 1,3,5 & 7 when its supposed to buzz #2. All other buzzes sound good.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I'm gonna cut my losses here and find a way home so I can bring the dually back out to rescue the X. I'll be alot happier trying to figure this out in my warm, dry, tool-equipped garage than here...

THANK YOU for the help so far - I'll pick your brains more after I get it home.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Thank you again Chris and Byron for staying up all nite to rescue me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping: These guys really hooked me up. I had AAA tow it the free 200mi and then the guys came and trailered me the last 40mi to Chris's house. We swapped in a different HPOP and IPR and it fired up as soon as it got ICP - but the dead miss is worse and the blow-by is baaaaad.

Let the build begin. :evil 250/200's, GTX 4294, etc...

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Thank you again Chris and Byron for staying up all nite to rescue me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping: These guys really hooked me up. I had AAA tow it the free 200mi and then the guys came and trailered me the last 40mi to Chris's house. We swapped in a different HPOP and IPR and it fired up as soon as it got ICP - but the dead miss is worse and the blow-by is baaaaad.

Let the build begin. :evil 250/200's, GTX 4294, etc...

Not a problem man, I still feel bad the motor is shot...it sounds like my kind of luck I tell ya.

Look at it this way, we got you over to the shop, so now it just makes it easier for us to start on your motor build that was going to happen anyway :jammin:

Latest posts

Members online