No Throttle issue

greyford1979

Reaction score
So on my way to bank after work today, my throttle pedal just stopped working today. At first I thought the truck shut off but it was running just fine, just no throttle. Each time i pressed it while coasting I got no response, just the service light. I had put a brand new oem pedal in it last fall, nothing was wrong with it, just piece of mind is all. Well I though it was the pedal so I switched it out with the old one on the side of the road which I had it with me in the truck. Fired up the truck, reved it a little and it was working again. I thought cool, just had a bad new pedal. Nope, drove it about 50 feet and same thing, luckily I coasted into a store parking lot. At this point I was thinking maybe a loose connection or wire, so I jiggled it, turned the truck on and it was working fine again. Took my chances and it got me home without any more issues. Haven't checked yet if it set any code. Truck runs fine, throttle response is fine, just no idea why it started it out of the blue like that. Has anyone else experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jomax

Reaction score
Best bet is scan it first. I'm sure there's a code stored

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yeah I'll get it scanned tomorrow. I did find something online where guys were having the same issue, but no codes were stored even when the ses light came on. And it led to the wire for the column shifter wire being chaffed and shorting. Don't know how this effects throttle, but I did check mine out and sure as chit it was chaffed with some bare wire showing. So at least I got that fixed lol.

Arisley

Reaction score
Hope it is. If a SES light set, a code is set. Those guys saying there is no code are getting it scanned at a parts house or a shop with no clue about diesels and just use generic scanners.

If wiggling the connection fixed it, I would for damn sure check out the connections.

Jomax

Reaction score
Hope it is. If a SES light set, a code is set. Those guys saying there is no code are getting it scanned at a parts house or a shop with no clue about diesels and just use generic scanners.

If wiggling the connection fixed it, I would for damn sure check out the connections.

X2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yeah I hope it's just a connection, I'm supposed to be taking it on vacation to North Carolina in a couple weeks. I'll break out the laptop today though and scan it with AE. I was just so happy the old girl got me home and didn't have to call for a tow because there was no way we would've gotten it on a trailer for my brother to tow me home, no winch on the trailer.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I pulled codes and had a P0221 Throttle Switch B Circuit Performance. Had a few others but nothing pertaining to this problem, like air intake temp sensor and glow plug circuit one. Like I said it did it first with the new Ford pedal and the when I replaced it with the old one, but now works just fine. So maybe it was the wire for the shifter causing the issue? :shrug: I hate electrical stuff and senors LOL And again, truck starts and runs just fine, didn't die when this happened.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well I really hope there is nothing else wrong, I'm paranoid now about getting stuck in the middle of traffic.

Arisley

Reaction score
Unplug it, check out the wiring by the connector, make sure it looks OK. Shoot some contact cleaner in the connector. Plug and unplug a few times. Might have just had a little built up corrosion that stopped connection.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Unplug it, check out the wiring by the connector, make sure it looks OK. Shoot some contact cleaner in the connector. Plug and unplug a few times. Might have just had a little built up corrosion that stopped connection.

Yep that's exactly what I did, thanks! Been running fine since, hope it was just that wire or just a bad contact.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Not the same issue, but I've had no throttle and coasted into a parking lot on a couple instances. It's not a good feeling! Mine never threw a CEL, but it would blow a fuse. Swapped that out and good to get home every time. Ended up swapping out the shifter and multi-function switch and haven't had any issues in years.

I'm curious if yours turns out to be anything more than some corrosion.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Not the same issue, but I've had no throttle and coasted into a parking lot on a couple instances. It's not a good feeling! Mine never threw a CEL, but it would blow a fuse. Swapped that out and good to get home every time. Ended up swapping out the shifter and multi-function switch and haven't had any issues in years.

I'm curious if yours turns out to be anything more than some corrosion.

Well I hope that's how it goes for me, ever since I repaired the shifter wire it hasn't done it. Would really suck if I had issues on the way to North Carolina at the end of the month or next month when we're going up to Silver Lake.

lightning95

Reaction score
I had the same issue. It was on the shifter stalk wire loom that had rubbed thru to bare wire and shorted out. I had switched off O/D on the an exit ramp and it sent the truck into limp mode(no Throttle). Coasted to a truck stop and replaced the fuse till I got home and fixed the wire and put wire loom over it.

That was 1 1/2 yrs ago and no prob since.

Last edited:

greyford1979

Reaction score
I had the same issue. It was on the shifter stalk wire loom that had rubbed thru to bare wire and shorted out. I had switched off O/D on the an exit ramp and it sent the truck into limp mode(no Throttle). Coasted to a truck stop and replaced the fuse till I got home and fixed the wire and put wire loom over it.

That was 1 1/2 yrs ago and no prob since.

Good to hear! Mine hasn't done it since that day so think I'm good.

Latest posts

Members online