No towing power

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
I have a 95 7.3l crew cab long wheel base 4x4. It is fine power wise when empty but I loaded a 26' trailer with an empty container on it that weighed 4608 lbs and I couldn't get above 60 and started to get hot. Any suggestions? I am going to move to wy from tx and need to figure this out quickly and as cheaply as possible.

Mpoage

Reaction score
I have a 95 7.3l crew cab long wheel base 4x4. It is fine power wise when empty but I loaded a 26' trailer with an empty container on it that weighed 4608 lbs and I couldn't get above 60 and started to get hot. Any suggestions? I am going to move to wy from tx and need to figure this out quickly and as cheaply as possible.

If your talking about a shipping container, those things catch a lot of air.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Whats your trans/egt/boost gauges saying? Is the truck completely stock? Stock tires/lift?

always-strokin

Reaction score
Always, as far as I know everything is stock. It doesn't have any gauges except for the factory ones.

Ever towed heavy with it before? How long you owned the truck for? What rear axle ratio do you have?

Could be a dirty fuel filter, dirty FPR screen, dirty injectors, etc. You ever run diesel kleen thru it?

How do you know the truck starts to get hot... you mean coolant temp?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ever towed heavy with it before? How long you owned the truck for? What rear axle ratio do you have?

Could be a dirty fuel filter, dirty FPR screen, dirty injectors, etc. You ever run diesel kleen thru it?

How do you know the truck starts to get hot... you mean coolant temp?

^these be the questions that need answering!

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
I have only had the truck for about a month. It has 4.10 gears. I haven't pulled anything with it before heavy or light but empty I can run 80 on the interstate and the coolant temp doesn't get over halfway. I can't take the time and or money at this juncture to install real gauges like I know are needed because I would have to pay someone and can't spend that much with the move coming. I have the ability to do all the mechanic work once I've recovered from my cycle wreck. I haven't dealt with the 7.3l diesel much but would have thought that it shouldn't notice 2tons on a trailer. New fuel filter, oil & air filter, all fluids changed and filters replaces when I bought it.

always-strokin

Reaction score
I have only had the truck for about a month. It has 4.10 gears. I haven't pulled anything with it before heavy or light but empty I can run 80 on the interstate and the coolant temp doesn't get over halfway. I can't take the time and or money at this juncture to install real gauges like I know are needed because I would have to pay someone and can't spend that much with the move coming. I have the ability to do all the mechanic work once I've recovered from my cycle wreck. I haven't dealt with the 7.3l diesel much but would have thought that it shouldn't notice 2tons on a trailer. New fuel filter, oil & air filter, all fluids changed and filters replaces when I bought it.

Wait, you sait it cant get over 60mph and now your saying you cruise at 80mph? What makes you think its 'running hot'?

I've carried 10k lb loads just fine w/ my truck stock with intake/exhaust/35's/6", it just really sucked moving it off the line. W/ said mods, I can go 80-100mph w/ a 6k load thru the hills and not even feel it back there.

With tuning, there's no comparison.

How many miles on the truck? And I would check fuel pressure and clean the fpr screen

Agreed

Twan

Reaction score
He said loaded he couldn't go over 60, but empty he can run 80, and he is going off water temp on the dash.

When you say hot, is it showing warning lights or just getting higher on the gauge. As fare as only being able to run 60, was it windy? It's a low powered truck, it's not going to pull fast. I've had 2008 trucks maxed out at 70 mph with only 8k on flat highway. A little wind can kill your power.

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
No wind, and I say hot because it got to the line right before going into the red and I let out and pulled over while it cooled down. This all was during a 75 mile trip going west out of Houston so it really wasn't going uphill. Ill recharge the filter and do everything else that has been recommended. If I have to run 40 on my trip it's no big deal I just figured that the 7.3 would pull better

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
May be a stupid question but where is the fpr screen? I put a ts performance chip in it and man that made a heck of a dif. I haven't pulled the trailer yet cause I now have an oil line leaking so I am having the shop fix that and some other stuff. The front fuel tank had a hole in it that I was never told about so I have to replace that as well. I think I bought a money pit!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
sounds to me like a turbo issue

you also should wash out the radiator with pressure washer the best as possible

ghohouston

Reaction score
May be a stupid question but where is the fpr screen? I put a ts performance chip in it and man that made a heck of a dif. I haven't pulled the trailer yet cause I now have an oil line leaking so I am having the shop fix that and some other stuff. The front fuel tank had a hole in it that I was never told about so I have to replace that as well. I think I bought a money pit!

On the drivers side of the fuel bowl, you will see a fuel line and a flange with 2 10mm bolts, take it off, and there will be a small screen where that line goes into the bowl

always-strokin

Reaction score
No wind, and I say hot because it got to the line right before going into the red and I let out and pulled over while it cooled down. This all was during a 75 mile trip going west out of Houston so it really wasn't going uphill. Ill recharge the filter and do everything else that has been recommended. If I have to run 40 on my trip it's no big deal I just figured that the 7.3 would pull better

My 7.3 w/ 35's and 6" lift pulls 10k lbs just found no matter what speed I want to go. You obviously have an issue. Pulled the inlet and checked the turbo yet?

Just a canned TS?

Latest posts

Members online