Non Vgt question

04cr450

Reaction score
ill keep what i said valid charlie, i don't see where i spun words.... it wasn't like i put my other motor that is a different "whole setup" and stated the results. sorry to derail op. lesson here i guess when doing comparisons- keep the truck exactly the same, don't even change the fuel filters.

Last edited:

jban126_f350

Reaction score
On 37's and stock gearing I would be very concerned going with a big or non vgt for spool up. Gearing it to 4.30 would be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you lol. Still not sure if I'm gonna go back down with it or not. I would like to get the stall in my converter changed to 2000 maybe.

scparrish

Reaction score
larger tires and non vgt don't mix well without do gears. vgt turbos are more forgiving to larger tires and factory gears.

sootie

Reaction score
You can try and spin the words however you want. Anybody who knows anything about these trucks knows that jumping from 175 to 205 is a big jump. Tuners do mainly tune for nozzles... BECAUSE THEY LET THE BODY SIZE limit the top end and the nozzle control the bottom end. That is why 175 to 205 makes no difference on the bottom end but make a huge jump on the top end when you keep the same nozzle. I am sorry if that was new information to you... but it is fact. On average you can get about 75-125hp more out of that jump. (about 2-3hp per cc).

I personally went from 175/75 to 285/75 and gained 100hp... with just an injector swap. I even kept the exact same nozzles. Same turbo. Same truck. Same Dyno.

Also everyone knows adding an intercooler helps with egts and flow. So does the no limit intake.

Point is... you changed your whole setup... quit posting like you did a back to back turbo swap and trying to provide people with data. When you explain the whole story it actually makes you sound untruthful and biased with the claims you are making. That is what I was pointing out.

Calm down, you are starting to sound like you did when you first sponsored up on this forum. If nozzle size controls the bottom end, body size shouldn't matter. If SPOOL UP CHARACTERISTICS is the one constructive thing that can be taken from the statement, take it and let the rest go...

ahardiek

Reaction score
Just bought a 364.5sxe. Ill let you know how it compares to my box 366 on temp spool and power with my 190/100s. It will be a little bit tho, fresh powdercoat will come along with it.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Calm down, you are starting to sound like you did when you first sponsored up on this forum. If nozzle size controls the bottom end, body size shouldn't matter. If SPOOL UP CHARACTERISTICS is the one constructive thing that can be taken from the statement, take it and let the rest go...

I have every right to point out biased info and defend my products as a paying vendor on this forum. BPD would do the same thing if someone was posting false information about their products. So would no-limit, elite, etc.. etc.. I am not gonna sit there as someone hops in turbo threads and posts biased misleading info about my products, especially when they do it over and over again even though we have talked about it and pointed out that it is misleading info. This is my livelihood we are talking about, my kid's mouth that need to be fed. Just trying to keep the info truthful and relevant.

SPOOL UP CHARACTERISTICS are greatly changed with air filters and intercooler swaps. come on now

TOP END CHARATERISTICS are greatly changed by larger injectors

Add them together and ignore them when describing the difference between two turbos... come one, lets not be naive. I am not sure what you guys are shooting for?

I have personally had customers switch setups because of crap like this on the forums and then contact me afterwards disappointed but afraid to say anything online because of all the fanboys out there that would bash them. People get caught up in the hype kinda like the MTW stuff that was all hearsay from fan boys with no data. If we can't keep constructive data and information out on the forums then what is the point? Maybe we should all keep running the edge attitude stacked with bullydogs and make 700hp with stock turbo/injectors :fustrate:

Sorry for the derail... nobody's products are perfect and there are pluses and minuses to every setup. But dont post mis information over and over again and use it as data to misrepresent a product, and then expect a very active member of the community and this forum to just sit back and let it happen.

valvetick

Reaction score
Thank you lol. Still not sure if I'm gonna go back down with it or not. I would like to get the stall in my converter changed to 2000 maybe.

No problem I'm only on 35's but changed my set up several times to fit what my driving style matched. Best thing I ever did was drive around and watch what rpm I was consistently at and where I constantly rolled into the throttle etc and matched a turbo to that. Sure I lost top end when I went down but I only went up in the higher rpms while racing or pulling onto the freeway the rest of the time passing and driving on highway climbing hills ETC I preferred the lower rpm spool up ability.

4.30 and your 37's will put you about stock rpm while cruising in overdrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jban126_f350

Reaction score
I just don't know weather I want to re gear for lower and put close to factory tires on. I love the way my truck looks 6"s up with 37's but on the other hand I don't wanna lose to much power and spool capabilities with that. I'm gonna try out an s364.5 with a 2000 stall converter. It I need to maybe I'll drop to a 4 and run 35's or something. My lift kit is easily adjusted for that

Fwolfrey

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to create a post I'm looking for information about doing a single turbo on 6.4 I'm a new member but have look all over this site to figure out how to create a post

jban126_f350

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to create a post I'm looking for information about doing a single turbo on 6.4 I'm a new member but have look all over this site to figure out how to create a post

Go up to where is says powerstrokearmy (underlined) go down the 6.4 aftermarket. Not in West Point. Then look at top left of all the forums you'll see new post or ee thread or something. It's in read. Check out user CP. that will help you out

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I just don't know weather I want to re gear for lower and put close to factory tires on. I love the way my truck looks 6"s up with 37's but on the other hand I don't wanna lose to much power and spool capabilities with that. I'm gonna try out an s364.5 with a 2000 stall converter. It I need to maybe I'll drop to a 4 and run 35's or something. My lift kit is easily adjusted for that

If you keep the 37's definitely regear to a 4.56 and do a 2200 stall

Or 4.30's for 35's

Really helps out on a non vgt truck, keeps it much cooler and helps control smoke off of a light

jban126_f350

Reaction score
If you keep the 37's definitely regear to a 4.56 and do a 2200 stall

Or 4.30's for 35's

Really helps out on a non vgt truck, keeps it much cooler and helps control smoke off of a light

That's What I'm thinking eventually. Think it will be alright. Running on stock gears for a while till I can re gear? Just a slower spool. 2200 stall?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I wouldn't do lower than 2200 on any non vgt 6.0, it's the ideal stall IMO. Helps big time with smoke and heat of you have to stab it from a dead stop.

Picking the right converter will help you get away with a less than ideal gear choice as well.. If you have 3.73's I think your biggest issue will be overdrive, you'll probably end up keeping it locked out for the most part. I imagine it would be lugging even at 70-75.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Depending how big you go with the charger, I guess.

Mine will lug a little bit if I'm really light on the throttle when it goes into OD, but that's at like 53mph. 63-65mph I'm fine and can pull right out of it. 3.73 gearing and 35" tires. Of course, it's only a 62, and I specifically went with the tightest divided housing I could.

The biggest help in spool up in my truck, was FICM tuning honestly. The difference was quite noticeable.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I just assumed an off the shelf 64.5/73/.91

60-65 is what 15-1600rpm with 35's and 3.73's?

I know my 66/73/.91 didn't make good passing power until above 1800, I would imagine the 64.5 would be a little better but 1500 rpm would probably take a little finesse

That's just considering smoke output, the biggest advantage I noticed with my 4.30's on 32" tires is my truck actually got decent mileage and didn't run very hot even though it was running 2200+ going down the e-way. They seem to like rpm, at least from my experiance

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
That's What I'm thinking eventually. Think it will be alright. Running on stock gears for a while till I can re gear? Just a slower spool. 2200 stall?

I am by no means a non-vgt expert... but doesn't 2200 seem a little high for just a 364.5

I just got done ordering my tranny from Andy Warren and he convinced me to run a 2000 stall. I am planning on running a 68mm vgt and maybe eventually an s468. He said with a 2200 stall it can make the bottom end feel a little sloppy.

Maybe I should bump mine up to a 2200 stall if it is needed for a 364.5???

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The reason I say 2200 is based off of my own observations.

When I had a stock converter with an s366 staging my truck I could get to the 16 or 1700 rpm stall point and easily push through it to whatever I desired.

I went to a 2000 stall PI converter with a billet steel stator that would start to resist at 1800 rpm which was okay on a cold crisp day because the charger would start making boost and it could inch a little higher but eventually my brakes just wouldn't hold.. Fluid coupling is so much tighter on an aftermarket converter.

The really big issue was on hot humid days when the charger was especially lazy, all I could do is make smoke, wouldn't even build a lb of boost.

2200 is a safe zone in my opinion, But these converters are built differently so exact results may vary.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The reason I say 2200 is based off of my own observations.

When I had a stock converter with an s366 staging my truck I could get to the 16 or 1700 rpm stall point and easily push through it to whatever I desired.

I went to a 2000 stall PI converter with a billet steel stator that would start to resist at 1800 rpm which was okay on a cold crisp day because the charger would start making boost and it could inch a little higher but eventually my brakes just wouldn't hold.. Fluid coupling is so much tighter on an aftermarket converter.

The really big issue was on hot humid days when the charger was especially lazy, all I could do is make smoke, wouldn't even build a lb of boost.

2200 is a safe zone in my opinion, But these converters are built differently so exact results may vary.

Hmmm... that makes sense. Maybe I should bump up to 2200.

04cr450

Reaction score
I have a 1800 stall pi converter and have zero issues on spool up- and that was with the 64.5 and with my current 69sxe. When andy built mine he advised stay at 1800. But don't take my word for it as my info might be misleading LOL

Latest posts

Members online