Normal parameters after studs/egr delete

mac2720

Reaction score
Hey guys I just finally picked up an Edge insight cts last weekend which I have been wanting for a long time. I have an 03 f350 crew cab short bed 6.0 on 10 inches and 38s, it has 115k miles. I've got head studs, egr delete, new oil cooler, new hpop, new glow plugs, 2 new batteries, upgraded fuel spring, upgraded y pipes, all which were done last fall.

With that being said, I am curious to find out what are the normal parameters with this stuff done. Most importantly where should my EOT and ECT be under normal driving and under hard driving. I noticed from driving it just the other day that I was showing a difference of 12-15 degrees when driving at 60 mph for an extended period of time. But it was around 5-8 degrees at low speeds around the city. I didn't think the split was supposed to be that high after it was studded and deleted. Any help/advice would be great!

Also if you have any advice with the CTS, I am all ears as well. Right now I have EOT, ECT, VGT duty cycle, boost and mph as my gauges. If anybody knows what normal parameters are for any of the gauges on the CTS, I would love to see them so that I can know for future reference. Thanks in advance!

Derkperk

Reaction score
For your EOT ECT spread, you are getting close to bad news. You are going to want to check the delta at cruising speeds vs around town driving. I see you had a new oil cooler installed but did the cooling system get flushed before it was changed, how about a coolant filter? It may have began to plug again.
As for the other parameters on the cts, I like to watch my icp voltage, ficm and battery voltage, and I have a fuel pressure sensor. Ficm shouldn't drop below 46v and battery should be around 13.6-13.8, (14.1 at the battery). You don't want your fuel pressure to drop below 45psi either.
Hope this helps.

mac2720

Reaction score
For your EOT ECT spread, you are getting close to bad news. You are going to want to check the delta at cruising speeds vs around town driving. I see you had a new oil cooler installed but did the cooling system get flushed before it was changed, how about a coolant filter? It may have began to plug again.
As for the other parameters on the cts, I like to watch my icp voltage, ficm and battery voltage, and I have a fuel pressure sensor. Ficm shouldn't drop below 46v and battery should be around 13.6-13.8, (14.1 at the battery). You don't want your fuel pressure to drop below 45psi either.
Hope this helps.
Thats what I was afraid of. I have done some research and saw where other people had higher splits pretty frequently after being studded and deleted. My ECT doesnt tend to get any higher than 190 but my EOT stays between 200-205 for the most part at high speeds.

I thought that getting all of that work done was supposed to fix the high spreads. I'm almost positive the cooling system was flushed when everything was done. Studs, egr delete, and oil cooler were all done at the same time. Before the work was done, both ect and eot were between 205 and 220. I'm hoping there is not a problem with my oil cooler already.

As for the other parameters, I appreciate the input. I will definitely be sure to check my FICM and battery voltage every now and then and keep an eye on the fuel pressure now that I know what they are supposed to be at.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I wouldn't start sweating just because your oil temp hits 205*. Keep an eye on it and if you see consistently over 15 delta, at cruising speeds, then get it changed. Get a coolant filter on it in the meanwhile.

mac2720

Reaction score
I wouldn't start sweating just because your oil temp hits 205*. Keep an eye on it and if you see consistently over 15 delta, at cruising speeds, then get it changed. Get a coolant filter on it in the meanwhile.
What do you mean by a coolant filter? I hadn't heard of that. Is it something that I could do or would I need to take it to my mechanic to do that?

I spoke to my mechanic about it and he also said that the oil cooler has probably gotten trash in it and will need to be replaced. It is safe to ride it with these temps? From what I understand the ect around 190 is normal. Thanks man!

MisterCMK

Reaction score
ECT around 190 is normal depending on conditions.

Now that your EGR cooler is gone the 15* spread isn't as important because there is no EGR cooler to rupture if the coolant flow is restricted.

Yes the temps are getting up there but I wouldn't worry about as much as if you had an EGR cooler in there still.

Derkperk

Reaction score
ECT around 190 is normal depending on conditions.

Now that your EGR cooler is gone the 15* spread isn't as important because there is no EGR cooler to rupture if the coolant flow is restricted.

True but you also don't want 240* oil temps.

A coolant filter is very easily installed. There are a few mfg that make kits. I have the one from dieselsite.com. Check it out.
cliky

Latest posts

Members online