not sure if this is the place for it...

Jason

Reaction score
Im fixing to go check out and drive a '96 f250 7.3 truck that is for sale locally. I have already done the whole looking in the window deal with it, and its a clean truck. Local 2 owner ride, regular cab 2 wheel drive, automatic xlt trim, factory alcoa wheels, those molded fiberglass side steps (which have to go), as well as a chrome grill guard (again, gotta go). The truck is red, paint is faded in some areas whjch isnt a big deal to me, as it is straight, rust free, and solid. Has 300k on the ticker, which again, doesnt bother me.

My plan is to get rid of the "old man" items on it, and just drive it. Im tired of my car getting dirty all the time, and needing a wash job twice a week, plus I would like to have another vehicle simply for the fact I need something to drive when the car is down, or rainy days, tow it to the track, etc. Plus, I like to go and shoot things, and I would put a gun to my head before I took my car out to the deer lease, or something of the sorts. I know it wont be a rocket, or anything, but what are some things to check on these trucks?? They are asking $3,850 for it, and I feel like thats a tad bit on the cheap side.

I just want something to put darker window tint on, diesel in the tank, and drive. I would assume being 2 wheel drive, and probabky having 3.55's this truck should get decent fuel mileage, intake, and exhaust is a MAYBE, as well as tunes, but I dont want to go back down the needing to put a ttanny in due to mods, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
Don't let them start it before you get there. Feel the engine to see if it is warm first thing. If it is warm they may be hiding a cold start issue. Check the fluids for quantity and quality before start up. Go to start the truck and watch the display. Make sure that all the lights and gauges respond correctly. Also pay attention to the "Battery" gauge on the dash cluster. When you rotate the key the gauge aught to snap up past half way and then you should hear a click (under the hood) and the gauge going down closer to the "8" on the display. This is an unofficial test of the glow plug relay. Not saying that it is working normally but it is trying. Start the truck. Listen to the engine in the first minute or so. It'll probably start rough and should smooth out in a minute or two. If it doesn't in 4-5 minutes then you _may_ have HPOP or Fuel pump issues. Keep in mind, did it smoke on cold start? What color? How cold is it out right now? Let the engine come up to temp and while doing this pop the hood (if you haven't yet), push and pull at the top of the front tires to see if the ball joints are really bad ($$$), get under the cab and look in the rear corners of the under side for rust. Also check for leaks under the truck. Back to top-side, climb up over the motor and poke around under in the valley of the motor. Look for any and all leaks. Keep them in mind. The truck ought to warm now so take the oil fill cap off the neck and flip it over onto the filler neck. Does it blow off (engines internal pressure push it off) or does it just sit there till the motor simple shakes it off? If it sits there blow-by of the rings shouldn't be an issue. Go for a drive.

If you like the truck then the price seems pretty fair. Without being able to open the tranny there is no good way to tell how much is left in it unless you see the RPM gauge moving not in relationship to the Speedo.

Jason

Reaction score
Truck was sold before I got to go look at it better. Oh well, obviously wasn't meant to be. Apprecuate the info though. I will for sure keep all that in mind as I keep looking.

So, with that said, I am still on the lookout for a rclb 2wd obs 7.3 truck!

mandkole

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just refusing to believe the money that real high mileage OBSs bring, but that seemed high for a 2wd. Oh well..

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
On a engine that has been taken care of "high mileage" is in the 500k range. I don't know where you hail from but like this one in Texas a lot of these trucks were bought as farm/ranch/utility trucks in the '90s. Bone stoke and babied from point to point and not raced. This is cheap, ebay has unknown OBSs going for $15k

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
I, by no means, mean the ones a father would give to his kid to tare around in the dirt with. I mean the one the farmer himself can work all week in and drive to church on Sunday in.

09stroker

Reaction score
If they are getting worked for that long they are gonna be hunks of ****. They are work trucks.

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
In Texas where a 20yr old truck can be 100% rust free, thats not expensive. 2 wheel drive or not. Not evrybody buys these trucks to race, or tear up off road etc. Guy could have had a horse trailer to haul, or something. Thats being used for utility/ranch use...doesnt mean its hauling hay in the bed, feeding cows where itll get the shti knocked out of it by an ignorant bull, or anything.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Farm trucks are usually cared for because its the FARMER that has to replace the **** when it breaks. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it runs good and looks good.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
They do, and they kick the **** out of them when their equipment is abused. the only time i've seen hardcore equipment abuse is by the mexicans.

Jason

Reaction score
*** christ dude give it up. Just because a farmer owns, or owned something dlesnt mean it was neglected. I am not saying it was a farmers, b/c i don't know its story. It was gone before I got to go look at it, so the discussion is null and void at this point.

Most farmers and ranchers I knkw take better care of their crap due to the fact that they rely on it day in and day out, and cant be without it. Some of their stuff may not be the prettiest, but mechanically speaking is in tip top shape.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Most farmers and ranchers I knkw take better care of their crap due to the fact that they rely on it day in and day out, and cant be without it. Some of their stuff may not be the prettiest, but mechanically speaking is in tip top shape.

agreed

flame job

Reaction score
their is a guy that lives down the road from me that has a truck just like mine. its a 96 7.3 welding rig and he has 750,000 on it without an engine rebuild

Latest posts

Members online