not sure where to start

HARDWORK'N 7.3

Reaction score
I bought the truck about a month ago its a 97 f-250 crewcab short bed 4x4, 3" down pipe stright pipe 3" and a ts6 whitch im not so sure about. He threw in a dana 60 off a 94 f-350 seems to have a fresh rebuild. I have been reading a lot but im not sure where to start. Im only getting about 14 mpg with no load and there is a oil leak that from thr the fly wheel cover . Am looking for some mods that can help fuel mileage increase power but not make the truck less dependable. Is this wishful thinking. Thanks

TyCorr

Reaction score
Drive it...these things are effing pointless to make power with...id focus on making it reliable and useful for you. If you need 600 hp, get a different truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
Drive it...these things are effing pointless to make power with...id focus on making it reliable and useful for you. If you need 600 hp, get a different truck.

Well, in reality every diesel is pointless to make power with that thinking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

cbf9703

Reaction score
Welcome. Post says you're not sure about your ts6? Not sure of the tunes? Still have factory intake? Do you have injectors yet? Injectors and tuning can help fuel mileage and power if you're just looking for a small bump. As stated above, if you're looking for 600 hp while increasing your fuel mileage and staying dependable, this probably isn't the best vehicle choice.

What's your goal and intended use for the truck?

HARDWORK'N 7.3

Reaction score
Welcome. Post says you're not sure about your ts6? Not sure of the tunes? Still have factory intake? Do you have injectors yet? Injectors and tuning can help fuel mileage and power if you're just looking for a small bump. As stated above, if you're looking for 600 hp while increasing your fuel mileage and staying dependable, this probably isn't the best vehicle choice.

What's your goal and intended use for the truck.

Ts6 doesn't seem to save fuel in the mild settings, and in the high setting it dosnt feel like a 50 percent hp increase. No intake or injectors yet any recommendations? This my daily driver and weekend toy hauler. Dependability is my main priority. Fuel mileage is a help. The only reason im considering power mods is because I plan to switch to 3:55 to help on the interstate. I appreciate your consideration and advice.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
you're not going to get a 50% increase in hp on ANY ford truck just by turning your chip up to the highest setting :)

You can make some decent power compared to stock though, but it is pricey. You're going to need a new hpop (depending on injector size, mileage on motor or whether it's even still the stock hpop) more air and bigger injectors if you're looking to make more power. Did you mention how many miles are on the truck at present?

Last edited:

HARDWORK'N 7.3

Reaction score
:biggun:
you're not going to get a 50% increase in hp on ANY ford truck just by turning your chip up to the highest setting :)

You can make some decent power compared to stock though, but it is pricey. You're going to need a new hpop (depending on injector size, mileage on motor or whether it's even still the stock hpop) more air and bigger injectors if you're looking to make more power. Did you mention how many miles are on the truck now.

About 200k.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Ts6 doesn't seem to save fuel in the mild settings, and in the high setting it dosnt feel like a 50 percent hp increase. No intake or injectors yet any recommendations? This my daily driver and weekend toy hauler. Dependability is my main priority. Fuel mileage is a help. The only reason im considering power mods is because I plan to switch to 3:55 to help on the interstate. I appreciate your consideration and advice.

Personally, I run a 6637 filter as an intake on all of my 7.3s and Swamps injectors and tunes, but there are other good quality companies as well.

If you haven't checked it out yet:
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919 post #8 has new guy info.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
For SURE lol he's not himself.

My nerves are a bit raw, admit it, but im giving no bs honest advice.

I have a 00 fr motor truck with upgraded cylinder geads, a comp fuel system,billet wheeled 38r, 250/200 from pis(had ff 250/200 that ate srp hpop guts and ruined). Truck had a twisted stg 2 euth the upgraded input shaft(billet or 300m) and its sitting on 35x12.5 with 3.73...its great but seems like at this point its going to be something that has a list of repairs at each oil change. It probably needs a swamps, built billet rod motor and have them go through the electronics. But now you're talking another 25k$.

I could have a 700hp 6.4 for what ive got into this. Or at least a very nice condition 08 kr that is tuned.

This is not the same as it was with some 175/80s. Easily another 150hp, if not more...hell id bet it picked up 50 by going to pis injectors of thecsame size. And the idle quality is incomparable with these injectors. Buttery smooth. Better than stock.

Im not a downer but realistically unless I learn to yune, this truck is borderline useless at 550hp. It does drive nice empty and is completely fierce even with a smallish charger...street setup that dreams are made of. But its an old rattley truck.

You cant talk in it...its deafening...

Just telling it like it really is. I daily drive a 14 dmax srw one ton. Tuned/deleted it would eat my "high performance" truck alive. For 50 grand. Yea, it is kinda dumb to try to make power when its doable electronically with a newer, nicer smoother truck. All im saying.

Im a dyed in the wool 7.3 guy but c'mon. Half the aftermarket parts dont last and the others have poor support. If everyone ran their shop like swamps or pis it'd be fine. Ive had more setbacks and bad experiences than awesome ones. Oil.pumps injectors and electronics that were garbage. Im going to try to get my truck to a very reliable point with my setup but it wont take much struggle for me to drop back to some ac/30%, the 38r, and just enjoy a 400hp turnkey reliabke truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Personally, I run a 6637 filter as an intake on all of my 7.3s and Swamps injectors and tunes, but there are other good quality companies as well.

If you haven't checked it out yet:
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919 post #8 has new guy info.

Thats a good combo you listed but for all the love I have for swamps I didnt enjoy the feel.of their auto shifts. Felt mushy to me. My one and only gripe EVER with swamps.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Thats a good combo you listed but for all the love I have for swamps I didnt enjoy the feel.of their auto shifts. Felt mushy to me. My one and only gripe EVER with swamps.

I'd agree 6 years ago, but not with my newer tunes. I've got some programs where the shifts ( and downshifts) are just angry now lol. Honestly, it took a couple revisions to get the trans tuning where I wanted it, but it was worth it.

Jomax

Reaction score
My nerves are a bit raw, admit it, but im giving no bs honest advice.

I have a 00 fr motor truck with upgraded cylinder geads, a comp fuel system,billet wheeled 38r, 250/200 from pis(had ff 250/200 that ate srp hpop guts and ruined). Truck had a twisted stg 2 euth the upgraded input shaft(billet or 300m) and its sitting on 35x12.5 with 3.73...its great but seems like at this point its going to be something that has a list of repairs at each oil change. It probably needs a swamps, built billet rod motor and have them go through the electronics. But now you're talking another 25k$.

I could have a 700hp 6.4 for what ive got into this. Or at least a very nice condition 08 kr that is tuned.

This is not the same as it was with some 175/80s. Easily another 150hp, if not more...hell id bet it picked up 50 by going to pis injectors of thecsame size. And the idle quality is incomparable with these injectors. Buttery smooth. Better than stock.

Im not a downer but realistically unless I learn to yune, this truck is borderline useless at 550hp. It does drive nice empty and is completely fierce even with a smallish charger...street setup that dreams are made of. But its an old rattley truck.

You cant talk in it...its deafening...

Just telling it like it really is. I daily drive a 14 dmax srw one ton. Tuned/deleted it would eat my "high performance" truck alive. For 50 grand. Yea, it is kinda dumb to try to make power when its doable electronically with a newer, nicer smoother truck. All im saying.

Im a dyed in the wool 7.3 guy but c'mon. Half the aftermarket parts dont last and the others have poor support. If everyone ran their shop like swamps or pis it'd be fine. Ive had more setbacks and bad experiences than awesome ones. Oil.pumps injectors and electronics that were garbage. Im going to try to get my truck to a very reliable point with my setup but it wont take much struggle for me to drop back to some ac/30%, the 38r, and just enjoy a 400hp turnkey reliabke truck.

Then just run a 400hp tune all the time and 500hp when you want. I think the big difference vs new trucks is we are modding these trucks with 200k plus. So we are replacing wear items along with go fast parts. To me if I blow the motor, i go find a low miles junk yard motor, throw it in and rock on. Still easier and cheaper.

I Wil say, one day I'll have a 6.7 in the driveway. And have the 7.3 for dirty work.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I did that and the old trucks get pissy when you park them after you run them for 250k.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Then just run a 400hp tune all the time and 500hp when you want. I think the big difference vs new trucks is we are modding these trucks with 200k plus. So we are replacing wear items along with go fast parts. To me if I blow the motor, i go find a low miles junk yard motor, throw it in and rock on. Still easier and cheaper.

I Wil say, one day I'll have a 6.7 in the driveway. And have the 7.3 for dirty work.

Says the guy with the 400hp combo LOL No offense, I just thought it was funny you were telling me that when you are running the setup I mentioned,lol. Anyway...back on track

It's not quite that easy...I have a neutered tune and it doesn't just run as crisp as something that would be using moderate pw to operate there.

While its impressive what they can do with tuning, its also got limitations. Perhaps Ill have to familiarize with tuning to really grasp what Im telling you.

Ill say at moderate low to wider pw these 200% nozzles are great...I think I shoyld have gotten a smaller injector though...a 200cc hybrid would have been "better" for what im getting at.

I think 550ish hp is really not efficient use of a 250/200. I think there is 800hp, maybe sligtly less, there. Its just getting it used is the problem.

Latest posts

Members online