not sure where to start

cbf9703

Reaction score
Then just run a 400hp tune all the time and 500hp when you want. I think the big difference vs new trucks is we are modding these trucks with 200k plus. So we are replacing wear items along with go fast parts. To me if I blow the motor, i go find a low miles junk yard motor, throw it in and rock on. Still easier and cheaper.

I Wil say, one day I'll have a 6.7 in the driveway. And have the 7.3 for dirty work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

When we rodded a block, did just that... Threw a junk yard motor in while we rebuilt. It's nice to have a cheap option to get the truck back on the road in a day or two.

I also want a 6.7 one day, but not until I can find a deal where someone else takes the depreciation hit for me. I'm cash only when it comes to vehicles.

I did that and the old trucks get pissy when you park them after you run them for 250k.
That's one of the reasons I rotate what I drive so none of them sit that long. Got them from 180k - almost 400k... Have to expect some maintenance out of the old girls though, I know mine have earned it!

Says the guy with the 400hp combo LOL No offense, I just thought it was funny you were telling me that when you are running the setup I mentioned,lol. Anyway...back on track

It's not quite that easy...I have a neutered tune and it doesn't just run as crisp as something that would be using moderate pw to operate there.

While its impressive what they can do with tuning, its also got limitations. Perhaps Ill have to familiarize with tuning to really grasp what Im telling you.

Ill say at moderate low to wider pw these 200% nozzles are great...I think I shoyld have gotten a smaller injector though...a 200cc hybrid would have been "better" for what im getting at.

I think 550ish hp is really not efficient use of a 250/200. I think there is 800hp, maybe sligtly less, there. Its just getting it used is the problem.

Tuning is an art, no doubt. I know tuners can work some magic, especially with dedicated live tuning, but IMO for the best results it's better to match the injectors to the setup and not rely on tuning to neuter them back. I know that a lot of guys buy bigger once for budget reasons, but I've always preferred to grow as I actually need it... I've had better results that way. Just my .02 though from someone who relies on others for my tunes. I don't have the time or dedication to want to learn to tune my own setup, I'm okay leaving that to someone with more experience as long as they are open to adjusting tunes based on feedback and live tuning sessions. I don't want to work with someone who will tell me that's just how it should run and to live with it.

Jomax

Reaction score
Says the guy with the 400hp combo LOL No offense, I just thought it was funny you were telling me that when you are running the setup I mentioned,lol. Anyway...back on track

It's not quite that easy...I have a neutered tune and it doesn't just run as crisp as something that would be using moderate pw to operate there.

While its impressive what they can do with tuning, its also got limitations. Perhaps Ill have to familiarize with tuning to really grasp what Im telling you.

Ill say at moderate low to wider pw these 200% nozzles are great...I think I shoyld have gotten a smaller injector though...a 200cc hybrid would have been "better" for what im getting at.

I think 550ish hp is really not efficient use of a 250/200. I think there is 800hp, maybe sligtly less, there. Its just getting it used is the problem.

That's the tow pig. My DD has 250/100s.

HARDWORK'N 7.3

Reaction score
My nerves are a bit raw, admit it, but im giving no bs honest advice.

I have a 00 fr motor truck with upgraded cylinder geads, a comp fuel system,billet wheeled 38r, 250/200 from pis(had ff 250/200 that ate srp hpop guts and ruined). Truck had a twisted stg 2 euth the upgraded input shaft(billet or 300m) and its sitting on 35x12.5 with 3.73...its great but seems like at this point its going to be something that has a list of repairs at each oil change. It probably needs a swamps, built billet rod motor and have them go through the electronics. But now you're talking another 25k$.

I could have a 700hp 6.4 for what ive got into this. Or at least a very nice condition 08 kr that is tuned.

This is not the same as it was with some 175/80s. Easily another 150hp, if not more...hell id bet it picked up 50 by going to pis injectors of thecsame size. And the idle quality is incomparable with these injectors. Buttery smooth. Better than stock.

Im not a downer but realistically unless I learn to yune, this truck is borderline useless at 550hp. It does drive nice empty and is completely fierce even with a smallish charger...street setup that dreams are made of. But its an old rattley truck.

You cant talk in it...its deafening...

Just telling it like it really is. I daily drive a 14 dmax srw one ton. Tuned/deleted it would eat my "high performance" truck alive. For 50 grand. Yea, it is kinda dumb to try to make power when its doable electronically with a newer, nicer smoother truck. All im saying.

Im a dyed in the wool 7.3 guy but c'mon. Half the aftermarket parts dont last and the others have poor support. If everyone ran their shop like swamps or pis it'd be fine. Ive had more setbacks and bad experiences than awesome ones. Oil.pumps injectors and electronics that were garbage. Im going to try to get my truck to a very reliable point with my setup but it wont take much struggle for me to drop back to some ac/30%, the 38r, and just enjoy a 400hp turnkey reliabke truck.

A appreciate the input from your experience I bought this truck because I love the look of the 97, and reliability of the 7.3 . Just gonna drive it, lol

Jomax

Reaction score
What made you choose 100s?

Bought my DD with bad injectors, found FF 250/100s with 5k miles for 1200 bucks with no cores needed in the classifieds. So jumped on them. I don't care for more than 500hp and this injector has gone to 600hp maxed out. Enough for me.

I have the 38r sitting on the bench waiting to go on, dual bosch fuel pump kit, Full regulated return system, I still need studs, push rods, and springs.. just need TIME to install them all lol. I'm still running the early 99 turbo. But, Jody made this truck run as good as the dually with almost zero smoke and the drivability is spot on. Alot of bagging on DP but I love them.

As much as the forums recommend 200% nozzles. If you don't live tune, forget it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
When we rodded a block, did just that... Threw a junk yard motor in while we rebuilt. It's nice to have a cheap option to get the truck back on the road in a day or two.

I also want a 6.7 one day, but not until I can find a deal where someone else takes the depreciation hit for me. I'm cash only when it comes to vehicles.

That's one of the reasons I rotate what I drive so none of them sit that long. Got them from 180k - almost 400k... Have to expect some maintenance out of the old girls though, I know mine have earned it!

Tuning is an art, no doubt. I know tuners can work some magic, especially with dedicated live tuning, but IMO for the best results it's better to match the injectors to the setup and not rely on tuning to neuter them back. I know that a lot of guys buy bigger once for budget reasons, but I've always preferred to grow as I actually need it... I've had better results that way. Just my .02 though from someone who relies on others for my tunes. I don't have the time or dedication to want to learn to tune my own setup, I'm okay leaving that to someone with more experience as long as they are open to adjusting tunes based on feedback and live tuning sessions. I don't want to work with someone who will tell me that's just how it should run and to live with it.
Yes. Its kinda dumb to choke these back to what im doing even...with twins pumps and more aggressive tuning im sure im leaving a lot on the rable. I could have easily done what I am with a smaller injector...although from what I remember the t500 holds icp with zero issues...

Im right there with you but lost my shop to flooding so I cant wrench on my truck. What size injectors you running in your ccsb?

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
quite the welcome thread... when there's no hpop thread to wallow in, this is the place!

Welcome to the OP and enjoy your truck. As they said, it is what it is. Not a lot of guys building 7.3s anymore (I sure won't be), but theres a lot of fairly reliable stuff to have a little fun. 400 is plenty entertaining, wont break you and will work on a lower tune.

Jomax, 600 out of 250/100s? That's running pretty good. Mine are almost clean by 300ft on the track @ 500.

Jomax

Reaction score
quite the welcome thread... when there's no hpop thread to wallow in, this is the place!

Welcome to the OP and enjoy your truck. As they said, it is what it is. Not a lot of guys building 7.3s anymore (I sure won't be), but theres a lot of fairly reliable stuff to have a little fun. 400 is plenty entertaining, wont break you and will work on a lower tune.

Jomax, 600 out of 250/100s? That's running pretty good. Mine are almost clean by 300ft on the track @ 500.

Im not running 600. And never will. Just what I've read from, and of course off the Internet lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id bet money that is a once in a lifetime happening. I think the same injector with 200% nozzles would do well to get 600.

I dont think you need live tuning at all. My php tunes were dynamite. No pissing around. I got a lot of "we may need to bla bla bla to get em right" from a few places. Bill said "yea,that should be pretty easy to get clean." Yep. No screwing around.

I remember hating 100% nozzles on a 175cc injector. The 80 was made for that a code. I reeeally wanna try a 238/80 but I think tuning came far enough that a 250/200 is as "sure" of a thing but has another layer of menace available in that it will flow more up top than the 80% nozzle...

Anyway, I just buy the products im no definitive source.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yes. Its kinda dumb to choke these back to what im doing even...with twins pumps and more aggressive tuning im sure im leaving a lot on the rable. I could have easily done what I am with a smaller injector...although from what I remember the t500 holds icp with zero issues...

Im right there with you but lost my shop to flooding so I cant wrench on my truck. What size injectors you running in your ccsb?

Flooding? That sucks to hear! What happened? Current setup is 3/2s.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My neighbor graded his property while we were on vacation and now mine floods. My pole building gets 2-3" of water in it twice a year and there us whie mold all over inside...steel is rusting out.

Been this way for two years. Im trying to correct the issue legally and not flying off the handle. His new garage is on the property line, as I signed off on it. Then he did this. If the county doesnt get on fixing or making him fix the issue, im going to take the excavator and knock his garage down when he goes to Indy in the spring.

Then ill have a Jewish lightning strike on my buildings and house...problem solved...

cbf9703

Reaction score
My neighbor graded his property while we were on vacation and now mine floods. My pole building gets 2-3" of water in it twice a year and there us whie mold all over inside...steel is rusting out.

Been this way for two years. Im trying to correct the issue legally and not flying off the handle. His new garage is on the property line, as I signed off on it. Then he did this. If the county doesnt get on fixing or making him fix the issue, im going to take the excavator and knock his garage down when he goes to Indy in the spring.

Then ill have a Jewish lightning strike on my buildings and house...problem solved...

Sounds like you're handling it better than I would at this point. I have my own issues with neighbors, so I feel for you!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. Me too. Ill try not to be so pissy. I havent been on here much in the last two months. Last week I got laid up with a bimalleolar fracture of the tibia and fibula. Plenty of time to surf, lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Woah, how'd you manage that? What's the recovery timeline look like?

Fell off scaffolding was tucked and prepared to roll when I hit the floor but some dh kept putting the thermostat in a 5 gal bucket and sitting right in the middle of the floor. I saw my plan would include landing on the bucket with my ribs so at the last minute I stuck my leg out to try to influence the roll and the floor decided to turn my foot backwards :) sounded like a wet tree limb getting torn off...groan, crackle, snap. Ouch!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I also discovered the guy running the job decided he could pocket more $$ if he didnt pay work comp :doh:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Didn't Dave say his 200/200's have done 550, very crisp, cool, and efficiently??

548....im not sure that was cool and crisp...lol...

Kinda what I was getting at....no way a 250/2 is tapped out in the same spot...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.