Not what I hoped for...

Viking

Reaction score
So I got an h2e for a really good price, barely used and no play on the shaft. I was looking to set my truck up for towing with a modded h2e. I also just got a look into the inspection hole today and my dreams hit a snag...PMR's. Looks like I need to start the fund allover again since I won't be running the h2e so soon.

So needless to say I was disappointed when I saw the pmr bolt staring back at me.

Viking

Reaction score
Well almost all 01 trucks and every truck after that were pmr...

From reading the internet message boards and getting the answer that I need to see it to know for sure I had a glimmer of hope. Now the question is...forged remans or DI short block?

caladash

Reaction score
Im running a non-modded H2E on PMR's.......as well as tuning!!! Will hopefully be purchasing 250/200 in a few months. Its a gamble but Im willing to pay to play.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why cant you build a tow-rig with it? Im not seeing this roadblock. To tow, most likely, you are gonna be running 300-350hp tune, no? Put some 238/80's or even something that size or bigger with a 100% nozzle and have it tuned to whatever power level you are comfortable with. I just cant see tearing a good running motor down that could do the job just because 500hp trucks can break the pmr.

Pocket runs a 250/200-38r combo and he said that with his tuning it runs better and cooler than it did with stock sticks.

Viking

Reaction score
I plan on towing a 5th wheel horse trailer and thought the 450hp 800tq range would do good. IDK what the range is since the little lady wants like 2 horses a harley and the front half to be a camper.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would just be sensible with the rest of the mods and carrry on.

Viking

Reaction score
Yea, looks like I have to for now. I do have 99 with a v10 just sitting there collecting dust now :naughty:

bruce

Reaction score
a 450 horse tow tune will be too hot, most tow tunes run around 350 or so. you can run your h2e and sticks and you will prolly be alright. tunin has come a long way. you can find a forged rod donor motor to build if you don't have faith in your pmr motor

TyCorr

Reaction score
I think this motor could live a long time at 450hp and 350 or less towing and it'd be fine. If he ran a snow water/meth system couldnt he tow in a hotter tune? Or at least get the pig rolling in a 300hp tune then switch to his hot tune while keeping spikes in check with the water/meth.

Viking

Reaction score
a 450 horse tow tune will be too hot, most tow tunes run around 350 or so. you can run your h2e and sticks and you will prolly be alright. tunin has come a long way. you can find a forged rod donor motor to build if you don't have faith in your pmr motor

I have found a few motors but from a salvage yard idk if they can tell me if they have PMR's or not. 150 miles away is quite a trek to check rods.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
95-2000 will be forged... If its not those years, just count on it not being forged.

There is no need to have a 450hp tow tune, the rest of the truck can not tow at that power level so dont bother building for it.

Your best towing will be in the 300-350 range anyway.

TARM

Reaction score
Viking,

You maybe confusing peak max power with actual functional, I guess you could call it, power. Where is peak HP created? AT WOT at peak RPMS. Now how often when you tow are you going to be driving down the road with your foot all the way to the floor and turning 3100 RPMS mile after mile? Basically never unless you are Charles and look what he has done to how many BTS trans, rear ends, and what ever else has melted or exploded from applying that kind of power thru these drive trains. Some I think would be surprised at how little TQ and HP you are using even towing up steep grades many times.

But really this is not much of an issue as you can hit the power goals you are after with those PMR and they will likely live just fine. Tuning has come a long ways; there are PMRS living @ over 500 hp. IN fact there is one right now running a 4202 with 200% injectors that's likely in the mid 500s and being constantly beat on.

That H2e can still be used with your plan. That with some 238/80 injectors with PMR adjusted tuning would IMO make a very nice tow/street perf setup. Keep TQ limited to 900 peak will still give you 400-425 HP. You should get good mpg and general manners. Then you can work on getting a forged block in line if you want to jack up the durability and reliability.

In 2000 yr production 15,000 engines were produced with PMR connecting rods as part of the production/consumer field testing of those rods. Many people have found PMRs in 2000 yr engines as confirmation of this. Usually ones from production in the middle months of 2000. Early and late 2000 thru very early 2001 production year engines have forged except for a few exceptions either way in the later. Then it switched back exclusively to PMRs with only super rare exceptions thru the end of 7.3 production in 2003.

Viking

Reaction score
Viking,

You maybe confusing peak max power with actual functional, I guess you could call it, power. Where is peak HP created? AT WOT at peak RPMS. Now how often when you tow are you going to be driving down the road with your foot all the way to the floor and turning 3100 RPMS mile after mile? Basically never unless you are Charles and look what he has done to how many BTS trans, rear ends, and what ever else has melted or exploded from applying that kind of power thru these drive trains. Some I think would be surprised at how little TQ and HP you are using even towing up steep grades many times.

But really this is not much of an issue as you can hit the power goals you are after with those PMR and they will likely live just fine. Tuning has come a long ways; there are PMRS living @ over 500 hp. IN fact there is one right now running a 4202 with 200% injectors that's likely in the mid 500s and being constantly beat on.

That H2e can still be used with your plan. That with some 238/80 injectors with PMR adjusted tuning would IMO make a very nice tow/street perf setup. Keep TQ limited to 900 peak will still give you 400-425 HP. You should get good mpg and general manners. Then you can work on getting a forged block in line if you want to jack up the durability and reliability.

In 2000 yr production 15,000 engines were produced with PMR connecting rods as part of the production/consumer field testing of those rods. Many people have found PMRs in 2000 yr engines as confirmation of this. Usually ones from production in the middle months of 2000. Early and late 2000 thru very early 2001 production year engines have forged except for a few exceptions either way in the later. Then it switched back exclusively to PMRs with only super rare exceptions thru the end of 7.3 production in 2003.

Wow thanks for the info tarm.

I figure I am going to just sit and wait to build a block. I plan on owning this truck for a LONG time.

If your that worried about your h2e. You cam sell it to me

Depends on how much you're gunna buy it for.

bad12jr

Reaction score
The problem with pmr is the design not the material as much. They used the same mold to make the pmr which show the rods weak points vs forged steel.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.