Not what I hoped for...

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
You could build a killer tow truck with the PMR's..use Cass's 180 stage 1's, SRP1 and mod the H2e..lots cheaper than getting rods..will make 400 and will tow great.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You could build a killer tow truck with the PMR's..use Cass's 180 stage 1's, SRP1 and mod the H2e..lots cheaper than getting rods..will make 400 and will tow great.

EXACTLY...

No reason to dick with a truck that you want reliable...

AC's, 38R and the normal little stuff... Drive it forever.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Its not a PMR motor (anymore), but my dually has AC's and a 38R and has yanked my 10k+ lbs 5ver all over the country. That is a solid tow and decent performance combo. I can pull grades as fast as I want and EGT's are no concern, even at nosebleed elevations. The old 10k lb flatbed handshaker ain't no racecar, but its alot of fun to drive!

I think you'd be very happy with Stage 1 or 2's and the modded H2E (wish I woulda done the H2E on the dually :doh:). With good tunes, your PMR's should live a long, healthy life! Now if ya really wanna make over 500hp and prefer to pop wheelies and do burn-outs while towing - maybe a 'built' forged-rod block would be better???

Viking

Reaction score
I'm looking into building a motor with all the mods and leaving my truck alone until i'm done. It should be quite the wedding gift to me and the wifey since she loves driving the truck and feeling the power.

TARM

Reaction score
The 6.0 and 6.4 are PMRs but the engine and rods were designed to work together not retro fittings like the 7.3. On the 6.4 they are holding to what these days 700? Number of things even beyond design and angles etc you also have factory bed plates no coolant channels etc..

I wonder how much a bedplate and 1/2 filled block would effect the power levels it could hold on a 7.3 or if it would just snap like usual.

Viking

Reaction score
The 6.0 and 6.4 are PMRs but the engine and rods were designed to work together not retro fittings like the 7.3. On the 6.4 they are holding to what these days 700? Number of things even beyond design and angles etc you also have factory bed plates no coolant channels etc..

I wonder how much a bedplate and 1/2 filled block would effect the power levels it could hold on a 7.3 or if it would just snap like usual.

I was thinking the same thing about a bed to keep the pmrs together under lower torque stress.

Of course tuning has a huge role in this as well.

deerezilla

Reaction score
I have ac with 100%. In my cclb drw and it will tow any thing you want. If i tow in the hotter tune with a big load I can melt u joints at will. I'm talking 20k loads

TARM

Reaction score
Anything over 400 HP for towing is completely ridiculous given the rpms we play in with these engines. I am speaking of actual applied power. The driveline system just can not handle it; everything behind the engine that is from trans to dif.

Southmike

Reaction score
03 6.0 pmrs are fine as six liter pmrs are designed to be pmrs.
7.3 pmrs use a weaker material in the same cast.

the h2e is fine for any 7.3. inow adding alot of fuel...no

there are a few guys that like gambles that are running way too big of a setup imho on pmrs.
personally i would not go over 426 hp, without forged rods.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
03 6.0 pmrs are fine as six liter pmrs are designed to be pmrs.
7.3 pmrs use a weaker material in the same cast.

the h2e is fine for any 7.3. inow adding alot of fuel...no

there are a few guys that like gambles that are running way too big of a setup imho on pmrs.
personally i would not go over 426 hp, without forged rods.

LOL... 426hp??? Where did you come up with that number? Not 425, or 427...

How many PMR motors have you seen pop since the dreaded 80E was neutered?

I would have no issue or concerns running a 450hp truck on PMR's with good tuning.

Southmike

Reaction score
...was wondering how long it would take before someone called foul.
at 427 the sky falls , the rivers flood and pure chaos ensues...

then again there are some 250 100 gt38 guys stomping around. and bill thinks he can get 600 on his.
so who knows ...i dont think i will ever run an 80e tune ...but maybe a 79E LOL

TARM

Reaction score
Junior is likely in the 550 range with his gt4202 250/200% and running PMRs and he is anything but easy on that thing based on the posts he makes.

I also think Bill will be able to hold a PMR together and reach the goal of 600 HP peak.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
PMR's are fine with good current tuning to 450-500hp...

I honestly would have no issues throwing a PMR motor in my truck right now...

Latest posts

Members online