OBS 7.3 engine and pickup build HP goal is in the 600HP range

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Explain 6.0 intercooler?
and why compounds for a measly 600rwhp?

The 6.0 Intercooler is what I had in there before I decided to go bigger..
Yes I know what you are getting at;) It will not hold the boost compounds will throw at it.

So I am am going to run it intill I find a better built one that can take the boost. So it will have to do for now..

as for compounds I know they are not "needed" But it is something I can do. and it "should" help to keep the egts down a little better when towing and should spool quicker..

It is just somthing I have always wanted to do to a pickup and so here i go..

Beside if i ever go bigger I should have the air to that..:thumbup:

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
The 6.0 Intercooler is what I had in there before I decided to go bigger..
Yes I know what you are getting at;) It will not hold the boost compounds will throw at it.

So I am am going to run it intill I find a better built one that can take the boost. So it will have to do for now..

as for compounds I know they are not "needed" But it is something I can do. and it "should" help to keep the egts down a little better when towing and should spool quicker..

It is just somthing I have always wanted to do to a pickup and so here i go..

Beside if i ever go bigger I should have the air to that..:thumbup:

ok good answer:poke:;)

JDub

Reaction score
If you're after lower egt's by running compounds, why run such a big laggy high pressure turbo? And it's going to be a tight fit back against that firewall for those gates...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If you're after lower egt's by running compounds, why run such a big laggy high pressure turbo? And it's going to be a tight fit back against that firewall for those gates...

I was told I would have no trouble spooling the GT42. But with good tuning and 300/200 injectors it should spool.. Another thing with compounds they will "help" spool each other a little..

But to play it safe, I will be useing a diverter valve (QSV) on the GT42, It will be close to what some guys use on there 6.0L turbos.

As for the Gates it will be TIGHT!! I can get the one in there for the GT42, As for the one for the S4T, I will either run the pipe next to the DP and have the gate sit on top of the transmission.. Or I will have the gate sit in the valey closer to the front..

I will be putting a 2 inch body lift on so that will help A little..

Thanks for asking!!

Marty

Reaction score
I'm running an S475/83 which is equivalent to the Chinese (4202) turbo you are running. I would not consider it a good turbo for towing. Yes, it can be done. I've towed ~10k pounds at sea level with a slightly larger turbine wheel/housing then that but it's not easy, nor can just anyone do it. I can't toss the keys to my grandfather and say here, take this trailer somewhere. Jason Kubis tows with his 4202 and even with a performance cam/headwork I believe he would still agree with me.

Drop down to something more like a 66mm S4, or at the very minimum a Gt4294 (~70mm range.) As Jdub said... it will be laggy for sure considering you are wanting to tow.

I would run a 66mm gated into the intermediate pipe and then gate the S4t into the down pipe.

As for the 6.0 Inter-cooler, take it out now before you fabricate your pipes or even worse, waste it with too much boost pressure. Just get a stock E99-01 aluminum end tanked inter-cooler. It has held 65+ psi for me and god knows how much on Greg Daprons (Dockboy) compounded CR Cummins.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
I was told I would have no trouble spooling the GT42. But with good tuning and 300/200 injectors it should spool.. Another thing with compounds they will "help" spool each other a little..

But to play it safe, I will be useing a diverter valve (QSV) on the GT42, It will be close to what some guys use on there 6.0L turbos.

As for the Gates it will be TIGHT!! I can get the one in there for the GT42, As for the one for the S4T, I will either run the pipe next to the DP and have the gate sit on top of the transmission.. Or I will have the gate sit in the valey closer to the front..

I will be putting a 2 inch body lift on so that will help A little..

Thanks for asking!!
Spooling a turbo and having instant throttle response are two totally different things.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm running an S475/83 which is equivalent to the Chinese (4202) turbo you are running. I would not consider it a good turbo for towing. Yes, it can be done. I've towed ~10k pounds at sea level with a slightly larger turbine wheel/housing then that but it's not easy, nor can just anyone do it. I can't toss the keys to my grandfather and say here, take this trailer somewhere. Jason Kubis tows with his 4202 and even with a performance cam/headwork I believe he would still agree with me.

Drop down to something more like a 66mm S4, or at the very minimum a Gt4294 (~70mm range.) As Jdub said... it will be laggy for sure considering you are wanting to tow.

I would run a 66mm gated into the intermediate pipe and then gate the S4t into the down pipe.

As for the 6.0 Inter-cooler, take it out now before you fabricate your pipes or even worse, waste it with too much boost pressure. Just get a stock E99-01 aluminum end tanked inter-cooler. It has held 65+ psi for me and god knows how much on Greg Daprons (Dockboy) compounded CR Cummins.

Thanks for the information!!!

If I cant get it to work then I will drop down to a 66MM inducer turbo..

As for gateing the turbos how you said it is how I am planning on doing it..

Spooling a turbo and having instant throttle response are two totally different things.

I agree.. I guess we will have to see what happens:confused:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Here is what I did today. I got some time off!!

This is the flange and itermedite pipe to feed and bolt the S4T to.
rearaxelandturbobuild001.jpg

rearaxelandturbobuild002.jpg

This would be the flange welded to the GT42 Exhaust housing..

rearaxelandturbobuild003.jpg

rearaxelandturbobuild004.jpg

rearaxelandturbobuild005.jpg

See the two holes at the bottom of the flange?? I am going to build a mount that bolts to the engine block then bolts to the flange to support the S4T.

rearaxelandturbobuild006.jpg

This is what the two housing will look like put together
rearaxelandturbobuild008.jpg

rearaxelandturbobuild009.jpg

And I got the Rear axel gutted the rest of the way.. everything is ready to go back in, I just need the tourque specs for the nut that holds the pinion in.. And for the twelve bolts that hold the Ring gear on..

rearaxelandturbobuild010.jpg

new 3.55 Ring&pinion Gears..
rearaxelandturbobuild011.jpg

The complete axel bearing and seal Kit.

rearaxelandturbobuild012.jpg

That is all for now till I get more parts in and the body lift comes..

All I need is a half and inch more of room and I could bolt both housings in..

So I bought a two inch body lift so that should give all the room I need...

Sorry about the welds:doh: I was haveing a little bit of trouble keeping the wire comeing even..

Marty

Reaction score
If you're going through the work to do compounds... I don't see why you just don't do the smart thing and at least drop down from your 75mm.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I would but I have the turbo. And As you can see I already have the second flange and mount welded to the GT42 exhaust housing.. So I will just keep going and hope the diverter valve works like it should..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
And I put new Brake drums and shoes and all new break springs on to..

I have a "new" axel well rebuilt axel..

And I got the pipes ordered to make my intercooler pipes.. I was going to use SD pipes BUT I did not want to have to use a lot of boots to hold it all together.. LOL

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Looking good. I really wanna see what those turbos gonna look like when they finished. Hurry up! LOL jk.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Looking good. I really wanna see what those turbos gonna look like when they finished. Hurry up! LOL jk.

Any faster and a snail could not keep up!!! LOL

I realy want to see what the turbos look like in there with all the pipes run to..

Still waiting on some minor and major Parts..

Duradan

Reaction score
you must have a lot of spare money and time, shouldve saved money and thrown a 12V in there and made 600hp with half the money...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
you must have a lot of spare money and time, shouldve saved money and thrown a 12V in there and made 600hp with half the money...

With half the money??? I dont think so it would have cost just as much if not more!!!

As for time... I do not have much,, that is why the build is taking so long.. LOL

No I do not have much money to throw at it.. The build I am doing would be a budget build..

To get the 600 HP does not cost as much as you think.. Its just all the other thing i am doing when i am in there..